× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS OS6 Apps / Add-ons For Current Hardware/Firmware

michaeldowns
Aspirant

ReadyNAS OS6 Apps / Add-ons For Current Hardware/Firmware

I could really use an app that is similar to the old (2017) Linux-Dash app that used to be, and is no longer, available

for ReadyNAS.

OS6. See screenshot attached.

I need a way to see process usage, user activity and connection activity, etc.

Does anyone have some suggestion for a similar dashboard type app??

I appreciate some things about Netgear's implementation of a NAS OS, however, tt is clear that Synology and QNAP have more

support for apps on their OSs. and that is disappointing. Also, Netgear is not releasing updated new hardware/features as often. 

For Netgear hardware I am running RN526X systems and OS 6.10.7

.Linux-DashLinux-Dash

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS OS6 Apps / Add-ons For Current Hardware/Firmware

@michaeldowns wrote:

That is correct it was uninstalled at one point.

If you would, what would be the procedure to install the Github version using apt-get?

It's not an app I use.  Looking at the github, it doesn't seem to use apt-get.  https://github.com/afaqurk/linux-dash#readme

You'd want to be careful with the install instructions, as you don't want to over-fill the NAS OS partition.  Plus git isn't installed by default on the NAS.

The simplest answer is to reinstall the old version, downloading from @Sandshark's link. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Why do you say Linux Dash is unavailable?  https://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9 .  Granted, it's an old version, but I'm running it on OS 6.9.6 and I've seen nothing here (save this post) suggesting it's broken under 6.10.x.

Message 2 of 7
michaeldowns
Aspirant

Thanks very much for your reply.

Linux-Dash is not shown in the apps listing in the ReadyNAS OS6 UI on the in-house hardware; RN526, RN312, RN102.

(see attached screenshot)

From that I presume there may be some limitation/issue for that app in the current and legacy hardware/firmware.

BTW, the version of Linux-Dash available for ReadyNAS on that link is 0.5.1 --  on Github it is v2.0.

Also notice that there are so few apps compared to alt vendors.

ReadNAS 0S6 UI  -  Available AppsReadNAS 0S6 UI - Available Apps

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@michaeldowns wrote:

Linux-Dash is not shown in the apps listing in the ReadyNAS OS6 UI on the in-house hardware; RN526, RN312, RN102.

It shows up on that screen for me (RN526x) - between Limesurvey and Logitech Media Server.

That particular page only shows the available apps that are not installed on your system.  Is Linux-Dash showing up on the "Installed apps page"?  If not, did you try to install it at some point.

@Sandshark's link is also  "official", and you can download the app, and manually install it from the apps page.

@michaeldowns wrote:

BTW, the version of Linux-Dash available for ReadyNAS on that link is 0.5.1 --  on Github it is v2.0.

It's up to the app developer to keep it up to date - and Slobberbone chose not to do that.  It might be possible to update it it via ssh using apt-get.

@michaeldowns wrote:

Also notice that there are so few apps compared to alt vendors.

True - that is what it is.  IMO Netgear didn't provide enough incentives for app developers.

Message 4 of 7
michaeldowns
Aspirant

If you would, what would be the procedure to install the Github version using apt-get?

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@michaeldowns wrote:

It's not an app I use.  Looking at the github, it doesn't seem to use apt-get.  https://github.com/afaqurk/linux-dash#readme

You'd want to be careful with the install instructions, as you don't want to over-fill the NAS OS partition.  Plus git isn't installed by default on the NAS.

The simplest answer is to reinstall the old version, downloading from @Sandshark's link. 

Message 6 of 7
michaeldowns
Aspirant

Thanks very much.

I understand about install issues and agree about lack of dev support by Netgear.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements