× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Photos troubleshooting tips

yoh-dah
Guide

ReadyNAS Photos troubleshooting tips

If you're having problems getting ReadyNAS Photos to work, see if any of the following tips will help.

1. If you are in User or Domain security mode, and you don't have "public" or "guest" access enabled for the [media] share, you will need to specify a login and password to connect from the ReadyNAS Photos desktop software. The login and password should be what you would normally use to connect to the [media] share.

2. If you are in Share security mode, and you have a password set for the [media] share, when connecting from the ReadyNAS Photos desktop software, leave the login field blank, and enter the share password.

3. If you are in User or Domain security mode, and you are an account on the ReadyNAS with the same user name but a different password as what you are using on your PC, you will need to change the password to be the same.

4. Make sure [media] share has read/write privileges over CIFS.

5. If you have installed a pre-release version of RAIDiator that had ReadyNAS Photos support (shame on you since we never really released it 😉 ), and you're having problems with the READYNASPHOTOS database, you will need to remove the ReadyNAS Photos add-on, and re-install the add-on from here.
Message 1 of 108
BusaBoy
Aspirant

Yoda,

I have just installed firmware version 4.01c1-p1 and enabled the ReadyNAS Photos. I can import photos, have created and shared an album and got the email to view the album. However, when i click on the link, it tells me that my user account is offline. I have guest access enabled for the Media share and have also tried the steps you outline. I am logged into the ReadyNAS desktop software, same result. Any ideas on why it keeps telling me that my user is offline? I have attempted to sniff the IP packets to search for ports that might be blocked in my firewall, however in other form notes they seem to indicate that opening ports is not necessary. Any other thoughts? Thanks!
Message 2 of 108
yoh-dah
Guide

BusaBoy wrote:
Yoda,

I have just installed firmware version 4.01c1-p1 and enabled the ReadyNAS Photos. I can import photos, have created and shared an album and got the email to view the album. However, when i click on the link, it tells me that my user account is offline. I have guest access enabled for the Media share and have also tried the steps you outline. I am logged into the ReadyNAS desktop software, same result. Any ideas on why it keeps telling me that my user is offline? I have attempted to sniff the IP packets to search for ports that might be blocked in my firewall, however in other form notes they seem to indicate that opening ports is not necessary. Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Try downloading the addon from http://www.readynas.com/addons (4.1) page and installing that.
Message 3 of 108
pszilard
Aspirant

Hi, newbie here. Just got my top whack RNR4410 4TB ReadyNAS rack mount jobbie and am consolidating my files and learning how to use it. The Photos feature is very exciting, considering I do part time photography and have accounts on SmugMug and Flickr.

I have a fast internet uplink, so I am very curious on using the NV instead of (or as well as) the commercial services.

Firstly can you point to a URL describing what this does exactly? Or even not exactly 😄

So far I think, it should allow external access, and it creates downsized versions of jpg files.

Some simple questions, which may be answered eslewhere(?) include:

1) What do I need to do on my NAT Router to allow access from outside?
2) Can I choose who can see what? By group or user id, eg parents can see family photos, but not the public.
3) What control or choice do I have over the templates and logos?
4) On first look, it seems that the gamma was way over contrasty, is the user setable?
5) Can I leverage the second network port for external access? Perhaps route external requests to here?
6) If I have a static external IP, can that be useful?

Thanks heaps. This is a really exciting piece of kit!

ps: I've loaded a few photos. Imported them into an album and then shared them to my user id.

I then remote connected to a customer's PC using LogMeIn, and installed the ReadyNAS Photos java app, and logged in, but couldn't connect to my home NAS. Any clues?
Message 4 of 108
yoh-dah
Guide

You shouldn't need to mess with your router. Photos are only shared to the folks you invite, so these folks can always see the album you had shared unless you remove the shared album. You can find out more info here if you haven't already looked.

With regard to it not working, try getting the latest add-on image from here and re-install the add-on.
Message 5 of 108
pszilard
Aspirant

Tnx! I downloaded the app only yesterday, so it should be reasonably up to date. I am still in Discovery mode.
Message 6 of 108
CuriousMind
Aspirant

Hi, just got my ReadyNAS Due installed today and are having some problems with the ReadNAS Photos

The unit came preinstalled with version 1.1 which I have now updated to 1.5 from the ReadyNAS site. I now have to authenticate to ReadyNAS Photos, when before I didn't have to.

But the main problem is importing my photos. I have tried using the Import Album option, but with little success on either version. Basically I have experienced the following...
1. Initially tried to import 6Gb of photo's, basically all my photo folders, but this just hangs 5% into it
2. Then tried importing one folder at a time. On the older version this worked initially, but now although it says it is successful, there is no album displayed. Have tried logging off, stopping server, restarting service, but no display.
3. Only success I've managed todate is to manually create a new album and import photos.

Any ideas on why I cannot import my entire photo library in one go? or why my photos are being displayed? Or why I now have to login, even though the media share is set for public access?
Message 7 of 108
k_3po
Aspirant

CuriousMind wrote:
Hi, just got my ReadyNAS Due installed today and are having some problems with the ReadNAS Photos

The unit came preinstalled with version 1.1 which I have now updated to 1.5 from the ReadyNAS site. I now have to authenticate to ReadyNAS Photos, when before I didn't have to.

But the main problem is importing my photos. I have tried using the Import Album option, but with little success on either version. Basically I have experienced the following...
1. Initially tried to import 6Gb of photo's, basically all my photo folders, but this just hangs 5% into it
2. Then tried importing one folder at a time. On the older version this worked initially, but now although it says it is successful, there is no album displayed. Have tried logging off, stopping server, restarting service, but no display.
3. Only success I've managed todate is to manually create a new album and import photos.

Any ideas on why I cannot import my entire photo library in one go? or why my photos are being displayed? Or why I now have to login, even though the media share is set for public access?

Can you send me the desktop logs? I will PM you the instructions.

/k-3po
Message 8 of 108
bettley_smith
Aspirant

Similar problems, importing album does not duplicate pictures but creating album does duplicate my pictures i.e it puts copies into my UserID folder, i think i have seen this issue before in forums. How /what can i do to stop it. All my pictures reside in my Readynas media/picture share.

Thanks Mark
Message 9 of 108
CuriousMind
Aspirant

Ah, I had started out the same way. I copied my photo library to the NAS device under media/pictures and then I attempted to import into ReadyNAS Photo via Import Album and found that it was duplicating under my UID. It was also duplicating if I created a new album and imported photos. So then I tried moving all the photos from media/pictures to media/pictures/"UID" and then importing so I would have duplicates. This didn't seem to bother it, but my problem was that the bulk import would hang and also when importing one at a time I'd get no album displaying. So I have now deleted any albums I had successfully created and have deleted all of my photo library off the NAS and are ready to start again once I understand why I am having these problems...
Message 10 of 108
rfinn
Aspirant

I imported an album and it duplicated my files.

It seems to be that most ReadyNAS users who want to share photos already store their photos on their NAS. The default behavior should be to assume the photos are already there and share them from wherever the user has stored them. An option should be added to album create/import which indicates if the photos should be copied or left in place (similar to how Adobe Lightroom allows photos to be imported into Lightroom's managed library or to be imported in their current location).

Also, when I look at my shared album and click on a photo, I get a 404 File Not Found error. So, my users cannot see the full-res version. How can I fix this? The thumbnails are shared without any problem, I use shared access, and CIFS is enabled.
Message 11 of 108
minerva
Aspirant

rfinn wrote:

Photos are not cloned if you imported from some other directory in \\<nasip>\media\Pictures\.

rfinn wrote:

Also, when I look at my shared album and click on a photo, I get a 404 File Not Found error. So, my users cannot see the full-res version. How can I fix this? The thumbnails are shared without any problem, I use shared access, and CIFS is enabled.

What version of the Photos add-on do you have ? If its not 1.5, Can you download the latest photos addon from http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=94
And perform a local update and see if that helps?
Message 12 of 108
Woogie
Aspirant

minerva wrote:
rfinn wrote:

Photos are not cloned if you imported from some other directory in \\<nasip>\media\Pictures\.

I am running RAIDiator 4.01b1-p3-T77 (ReadyNAS Photos 1.7) with version 1.1.RC3 of the desktop software.

I copied a new album to my desired folder on the ReadyNAS and then created a new album within an existing album, and imported the pictures using "\\<ReadyNASname>\media\Pictures\<userid>\<main_album>\<sub_album>\<sub_sub_album>\<all pictures>", and the folder and all of it's contents were duplicated in my <userid> folder. I think that there should be some option to import an album within an album and/or some option to create an album and use the pictures where they have been placed on the ReadyNAS. It allows for a much more organized set of pictures.
Message 13 of 108
rfinn
Aspirant

My media share is for music and movies. I am a professional photographer and so I have a share called "photos" which contains about over 100,000 photos organized by year, subject, client, and individual event. My Lightroom and other asset management software are configured to use the NAS in this way. This is the reason I bought a ReadyNAS. I am playing with the ReadyNAS photos as a way to share some photos which I do not upload to my sales area.

I guess I will have to wait for a better version.
Message 14 of 108
bte4
Aspirant

Just received my ReadyNAS and am also trying to get Photos working. With 1.5, I am able to import albums that are already stored in my media share without cloning them.... somewhat. If the album is small, it usually works without any problems, but when the album is relatively large,~700MB-1GB, the add-on stalls/freezes/hangs during the "transfer." Any idea on how to keep this from happening? Since you can't import photos to the album without cloning them, the only recourse is to delete the album and re-import hoping that it won't freeze the next time. Kind of frustrating. I'm also interested in an easier way to have all my albums show up in readyNAS photos without having to import them. Is there an easier way? From reviewing the past posts, K-3po indicated he may have a solution for this??

I echo the other sentiments in this thread.... it would be nice if by simply putting the photos in a certain folder in the media share (i.e. readnas/media/photos/userid), then they would automatically show up as albums in ReadyNAS photos.
Message 15 of 108
minerva
Aspirant

Which version of ReadyNAS Photos are you using ? You can right click on the ReadyNAS Tray icon and click "About" to find the version.

We have made improvements to "importing photos" feature in 1.1.RC3 version.

The announcement, and instructions to install this upgrade are here :
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19071

-minerva
Message 16 of 108
bte4
Aspirant

minerva wrote:
Which version of ReadyNAS Photos are you using ? You can right click on the ReadyNAS Tray icon and click "About" to find the version.

We have made improvements to "importing photos" feature in 1.1.RC3 version.

The announcement, and instructions to install this upgrade are here :
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19071

-minerva

Thanks for the reply. That may be it. I checked my version and it was an old version (0.6). I'll update to the new version and see how that works for me. Thanks again.
Message 17 of 108
gotztofly
Aspirant

I keep trying to use this externally and it does not work. What ports does this thing use? I tell it the ip address of the readynas ( I am offsite at home, not on the local lan) it tells me there is not readynas device detected. I want to have the software installed at a remote location to manage the photos. I can do this from inside the network and share albums. They do recieve the link and can view the photos. How can I do what I need it to do? I beleive it is just a port forwarding issue

Thank you
Message 18 of 108
Arr_MiHardies
Aspirant

i didn't need to forward any ports. to view the photos, you don't use the address of the readynas, which won't work outside of the network it is connected to. you need to visit [yourusername].readynasphotos.com to view your photos.
Message 19 of 108
gotztofly
Aspirant

what I am trying to do is install the software on my home computer, not at the office where the nas is. I want to manage the albums etc from somewhere else. I can go and view the published ones from home by going to that site. There has to be a port to open to allow me to do this.

Thanks
Message 20 of 108
wongmkw
Aspirant

I am having trouble just logging in. I get past the first login screen fine. The second screen, where you pick the ReadyNAS to connect to, I cannot connect.

I tried clicking plain connect and I get "Error: Unable to connect to ReadyNAS device. Please make sure your ReadyNAS is powered on and it is connected to the Network. Make sure you have entered the right name or the I.P address for the device."

So I tried to enter a user name and password and I get "Invalid Credentials."

I tried using the user name and password from ReadyNAS Photos and I tried user name and password from the share.

I have no clue what I am doing wrong. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
Message 21 of 108
ablevy
Aspirant

I'm having a similar problem. In your case though it might be because the password for Readynas Photos isn't the same as that for the share. Take a look at Yoda's first post in this thread.

Alan
Message 22 of 108
minerva
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

In the second screen after login, ReadyNAS Photos software attempts to connect to the 'media' share on your ReadyNAS device. You will need to provide user name/password here depending on how you have set up the security for media share.

Please do take a look at Yoda's first post in this thread.

-minerva
Message 23 of 108
wongmkw
Aspirant

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the help. It was CIFS (line 4) and line 2 that did the trick. I read the post so many times and I think the thing that threw me off was just that second login screen didn't make sense to me and since I couldn't get any user or password to work, I just thought I was using the wrong user name and password the whole time. I wasn't running CIFS because I don't need win access. I will be trying my first album out tonight.
Thanks!
Message 24 of 108
wongmkw
Aspirant

Ok, everything went fine up until I tried to share the test files with my email accounts. I received this error: Error: com.pramati.bfly.mail.api.templates.MailTemplateObject.(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V

anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks,
Michael
Message 25 of 108
Discussion stats
Announcements