× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro 6: Ethernet1 stopped working at 1 Gbit; it only connects at 100 Mbit

CraftWorks
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro 6: Ethernet1 stopped working at 1 Gbit; it only connects at 100 Mbit

Hi all,

My ReadyNAS Pro 6 (the diskless version) has a problem: three days ago the Ethernet1 NIC stopped working at 1 Gb (as it should by default); it only connects at 100 Mb.

I know that it's an old model (I've been using it for 6 years now, bought on April 2013, with no problems whatsoever), but I'd like to understand what happened.

Here are some more details:

- 6 x Seagate ST3000DM001, 3TB, 7200RPM

- RAID level: X-RAID2

- hooked on my private network (192.168.xxx.xxx), so it's not accesible from the outside world

- FW: RAIDiator 4.2.31 (x86)

- NIC always used: Ethernet1

Additional facts:

- Ethernet2 connects at 1 Gb

- my data is still fully accesible through SMB

Actions done:

- NAS reboot: no change

- changed the network cable: no change

- changed the port of my Cisco switch: no change

- OS Reinstall: no change

I haven't yet done a Factory Default reset because I have to make a backup of my data first.

I think it might be a hardware problem, but I'd like to hear your opinions on this first.

Best regards,

CraftWorks

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6: Ethernet1 stopped working at 1 Gbit; it only connects at 100 Mbit

One last thing you could try is powering down the NAS, removing the power cord for a while, (say 15 minutes) and then try powering it up again.  That sometimes will clear bios state that might be related to the problem.

But it sounds like it could be a hardware issue (potentially a loose connection or broken wire in the socket).

Message 2 of 7
CraftWorks
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Pro 6: Ethernet1 stopped working at 1 Gbit; it only connects at 100 Mbit

First of all, thanks for your prompt and kind reply.

Unfortunately this didn't solve my problem - the hardware side is most likely the culprit. (...Well,  this is not the end of the world... I'm still left with one Gbit port...)

Since we are there, I'd like to ask you a question. Is there any way, for us, mere mortals, to go into the BIOS of this NAS (without breaking it up and doing some obscure wizardry)? I know that there are some Linux tools that can modify the speed of an ethernet card (like "ethtool"), but I don't want to meddle with the original installation of my NAS (and, anyway, this wouldn't solve a potential HW problem).

Thanks again.

Best regards,

CraftWorks

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I've never tried to change Bios settings, though perhaps @Sandshark has some tips there.

But I don't think ethernet speed is set in the Bios.  It can be configured via ssh.

The default setup of the NAS is to autonegotiate the speed.  In your case I believe the port is autonegotiating 100 mbit - which gigabit ethernet is designed to do if it sees some open pins (gigabit uses all the pins in the connector, but 100mb doesn't).  Since you've swapped the cable, that would be something internal to the socket (or the path between the socket and the NIC). 

If I'm right, then forcing the connection to gigabit with ssh will just result in breaking the connection altogether (though of course you can just set it back).

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

You can put a VGA port on a Pro6 and get some access to the BIOS (VGA-Header-for-my-Pro-6)..  It's been a long time since I did that, but I remember it to be a pretty standard PC BIOS (AMD, I think).  I don't think there is anything in the BIOS that will matter.

I agree with @StephenB that it's most liekly a hardware issue in the NAS, especially if using the same cable and switch/router port works with the other NAS port.  I have a pair of DuoV2's that do the same thing (I bought them cheap already that way).  They were connected to the same switch when there was a local lightning strike.  So, damage like that is not unheard of.  It could be just due to age, but an ESD discharge is also very possible.  Note that one of my units will still negotiate GBit on a non-green switch or router, but not a green one once it reduces the power on the interface.  At least with your Pro, you have the second port; where the Duo does not.

To prevent ESD damage when connecting the Ethernet cable to the unit or switch/router, you should always touch the case of the device (assuming it's plugged in an chassis is grounded metal) before putting your hand close to the port or cable end.  This is specially important in dry climates (if your car door handle or door knobs shock you, then that's applicable to your area).  Here in sunny (and muggy) Florida, it's not as big an issue.  If your router/switch has a plastic case, then use the metal case of anything else plugged in.

If it were affecting both ports, it could be the +5VSB output of the power supply.  But with it only affecting one, that's unlikely.

Message 5 of 7
CraftWorks
Aspirant

Exactly my thoughts. Anyway, I can live with only one Gbit port.

Thanks for your answer.

Best regards,

CraftWorks

Message 6 of 7
CraftWorks
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Since I'm not in such a disastrous situation, I'll let things be. Although you gave me some very interesting pieces of information, I don't want to tear up my good ol' NAS and screw with it.

That's life: hardware sometimes dies. I can live with only one Gbit port.

Besr regards,

CraftWorks

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements