× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Pro will not power on

StuBarrett1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Pro will not power on

Please help.

I have a ReadyNAS raid storage unit Business/Pro model RNDP6000 with 6 disk slots.  

I returned from vacation to find my AC had quit and the house was very warm.  I used the front panel switch/button to turn off the unit.  A while later, the unit powered back on and was operational, but as the room was still very warm, I still wanted to power off the so I again turned it off using the front panel button. Again, the unit auto-restarted.  I let it pwower up one me time and again shut it down.  Once it was powered down, I pulled the power plug.

Now the unit will not power up.  The ethernet port lights blink, but nothing else happens. I opened the unit and found no fuses or other items that would be a quick fix.  I really do not have time to dubug this problem and would like to know if there is a compatible model available the I could eaily move my disks into and save my data.  

Any advice would be welcome.

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Pro will not power on

@StuBarrett1 wrote:

... the CMOS battery was pulled during the debug process so I lost the CMOS settings. ... Is that equivalent to a "factory reset"?  

The CMOS battery only keeps the real time clock ticking - which is needed for the power schedule feature.

So you haven't lost anything.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@StuBarrett1

Welcome to the Community!

If you are looking for a new unit, It would be best if you can get a ReadyNAS OS 6 Unit like the RN426, RN526 or RN626. You can actually get your Data back by following this procedure.

Alternatively, you can check out a refurbished RNDP6000 on a reasonable price.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Try removing the disks (labelng by slot), and see if the unit powers up with a no disks status.  Also check the status with RAIDar ( https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar )

If the unit does power up diskless, then something is corrupted on the disks.

If it doesn't, then the problem is likely the power supply (which can be replaced if you like).

Message 3 of 11
StuBarrett1
Aspirant

Thanks, while I'm not sure if I want to replace the power supply juet yet, can you point me to a plug-in replacement source?

Thanks, stu

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

It's an sfx supply - the original was a Seasonic SS-300SFD.

You likely won't find a new one, but there are a couple of other options: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Silverstone-SX650-G-for-ReadyNAS-Pro-6/m...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/glitches-ReadyNAS-Pro-6-rndp6000-keeps-r...

You might also need a short ATA extender cable (4 inches should be enough).

This post was focussed on changing the CPU fan, but it should give you some idea of the steps needed to replace the supply: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/ReadyNAS-Pro-Replace-CPU-Fan/td-p/940499

Message 5 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

You problem does sound like the power supply.  Specifically, the +5VSB output.  That output is used by the power-on circuit and the NIC, and is always on, even when the unit is "off".  If the unit was plugged in and the environment got very hot, it could easily become overstressed.  Random power on/off combined with inability to power on or off when using the button are typical symptoms.  And failure of that voltage is a common one for the Pro family after several years of use since it is always on.

If you have a "spare" standard ATXV12 power supply, you can connect it externally just to make sure a power supply replacement will fix the problem.  Or, you can do that to recover data before retiring the NAS.  If you plan to run it very long, make sure the cables don't block the fan and use masking tape or similar to seal the gap where the power cable comes external.

I have yet to find an available replacement power supply that I really like -- has all the right connectors (except needing the extension is OK), sufficient current, currently available new, and reasonably priced.  But the ones @StephenB listed are some of the better choices.

Message 6 of 11
StuBarrett1
Aspirant

OK, figured out the PS is bad.  Getting a replacement.

I'm worried that putting my data disks back into the unit will corrupt them as the CMOS battery was pulled during the debug process so I lost the CMOS settings.

Is that euqivilant to a "factory reset"?  

Is there a procedure for recovering the data from my disks after losing the CMOS settings?

Failing that, is there a NETGEAR Service that I can ship the disks to that can make sure the data is not lost?  I have a snapshot of most of the data, but it is several months old.

Thanks agaim, Stu

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@StuBarrett1 wrote:

... the CMOS battery was pulled during the debug process so I lost the CMOS settings. ... Is that equivalent to a "factory reset"?  

The CMOS battery only keeps the real time clock ticking - which is needed for the power schedule feature.

So you haven't lost anything.

Message 8 of 11
StuBarrett1
Aspirant

OK, got a new power supply and things look good. Boots and the data is still good!!

Thanks for you help!!

OK, So I'm going to buy a new ReadyNas since my current one is getting on, and I need to upgrade anyway.  I'm taking @Marc_V  advice and buying a RN426 or an RN526 (I'm leaning towards the 526).

I've been using HGST UltraStars since they are supposed to be the most reliable but I have seen reccomendations for the Seagate IronWolf NAS drives for being especially suitable for NAS units.  I've looked at the disk compatibility informaton and both types are supported, but I was looking for a thread that discusses the different quality of NAS specific drives and cound not find one (search failure?).  I was wondering if such a discussion (or other source) would help me make an informed choice?

Thanks, Stu

Message 9 of 11
StuBarrett1
Aspirant

I did find this resource: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2018/

Is there any discussions on this forum?

Stu

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@StuBarrett1 wrote:

I did find this resource: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2018/

Is there any discussions on this forum?

There have been some discussions on drive choices.  BackBlaze is a reasonable source, but it is important to keep in mind that their pods are quite different from most NAS.

I don't recommend desktop drives - NAS-purposed or enterprise drives are better choices.

Personally I use WDC Red drives (though I have a couple 1 TB Ironwolf drives also).  Generally speaking, there aren't a lot of issues reported with either WDC Red or Ironwolf posted here (though I have noticed two or three posters seeing some failures with the WD60EFRX lately - including me).

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements