× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS RND4210 v3 - 1 WIn 10 Station cant connect , 4 others no problems

daweezels
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RND4210 v3 - 1 WIn 10 Station cant connect , 4 others no problems

I have a customer that has 1 Station Win10 that sees the Nas under Network, mapped drives come up with Green but cant connect via mapped drives that have been setup up for a long time 2yrs+. They do go red once you try to connect.  I can use the Browser 192.168.25.6 to connect to all shared drives.  SMB1 is enabled, tried off/on, reboots.  There are at least 4 other stations connecting just fine, no problems.  Getting errors "not available", etc. Firewall off, Antivirus off as well.  No cant connect warning on bootup either which is strange because that station would get that almost every time at bootup but would go on and connect to NAS with no problems.

This all happened after the user shut down for the night and the station came up with update do not turn your computer off.  They left and next day cant connect.  Any ideas  I looked through the feeds but didn't see my problem.  Only 1 station has this problem. This station is roughly 3-4 years old, guess I wasnt there when it was installed.  2 of the others are New as of Jan 2020, and 2 are upgrades from Win7 to Win10 in January 2020. NAS is at least 12 years old Im being told.

Model: RND4210|ReadyNAS NV+ 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@aks-2 wrote:

You can use Windows Credential Manager to clear any passwords to the named network connection, which I think is what using teh IP address as an alternate "name" for the NAS is doing.

No.  Some Windows PCs have trouble resolving the hostname of the NAS to the IP address - especially with the older NAS like the one here.  

Though if the credentials aren't correct you can end up with access problems.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
aks-2
Apprentice

I think you might be affected by Win10 update 2004, they seem to have broken SMBv1, please check this thread on the Microsoft community (12 pages of comments, see top of page 12 for a potential workaround).

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@aks-2 wrote:

I think you might be affected by Win10 update 2004, they seem to have broken SMBv1, please check this thread on the Microsoft community (12 pages of comments, see top of page 12 for a potential workaround).

That's useful info.  But shouldn't that problem make all shares inaccessible?  It seems unlikely that it would make some inaccessible, but not others.

I suggest resetting the file permissions on the affected shares first (though of course you could do both at the same time).

Message 3 of 9
aks-2
Apprentice

I read that as *all* shares from some workstations, so I interpreted that as some Win10 machines have the update and causes all SMBv1 shares to fail. This is what happened to my Win10 update 2004 PC. Win7 all ok, and earlier Win10 updates work ok if SMBv1 is enabled.

Ideally, we would get a patch/update for ReadyNAS firmware 5.3.13 to enable SMBv2, but it's EOL so I doubt that will happen.

I still use my ReadyNAS NV+ v2 as my main family sharing NAS, despite having a RN214 and also a QNAP TS-453B as my planned upgrades for main NAS.... just been too busy, and both will take time to set up properly with connected speakers and TVs etc. OK, I'm making excuses....Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 9
daweezels
Aspirant

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  Only 1 Station is having trouble (not connecting).  All others are fine.  I will not be back there til tonight but I will give it a try.   Just to add.  The NAS shows under Network but "windows cant access", the mapped drives I get different errors on  "network name no longer available" and "local device name is already in use.  This connection had not been restored. Also have a mapped drive to another station and that link works just fine also.   Should have been clearer on that.

Thanks for the responses!

Message 5 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I have had a problem like that for some time when using the NAS name to map the shares.  Try re-mapping using the IP address.  Of course, for that to be a permanent solution, the IP address of the NAS must remain fixed.  That is best done by address reservation in your router, not by static IP in the NAS.

Adding the NAS IP to the HOSTS file is another potential solution.

Message 6 of 9
aks-2
Apprentice

Worth checking what Win10 update is actually installed, just to be sure all the workstations are equal!

You can use Windows Credential Manager to clear any passwords to the named network connection, which I think is what using teh IP address as an alternate "name" for the NAS is doing.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@aks-2 wrote:

No.  Some Windows PCs have trouble resolving the hostname of the NAS to the IP address - especially with the older NAS like the one here.  

Though if the credentials aren't correct you can end up with access problems.

Message 8 of 9
daweezels
Aspirant

Ok I tried it all.  Finally I disconnected all mapped drives and redid them using \\ip\name, all came back.  Even under Network the Nas drive now connects.(??) I'm not saying that all the fixes I did didnt take part in it but sometimes the simple answer just works.  Thanks for all the help. Ive learned a few things along the way.  Very greatfull for all the help!

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements