× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RNDU2000 dead after upgrade

suhrke
Aspirant

ReadyNAS ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RNDU2000 dead after upgrade

Hello, I Have a little problem. My ReadyNAS RNDU2000 died, because the elko nearby the powerplug (C395|100µF|16V) exploded. I don't know why.
Anyway, I bought an replacement, another RNDU2000. My old one was running with OS6, the replacement with 4.2.31. So the first task
was to upgrade this device to OS6. The guide was found here as some years ago too, the software the same. First was to upgrade the bios (BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin) , then upload PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin and without booting in between uploading R4toR6_6.9.5.bin.
After that the system wanted to be rebooted, and that was the last time I saw it as ReadyNAS.
Ok, there is the ability of using the serial console. Lets do that.
The device starts, showing AMIBIOS 11/02/11 Ver 08.00.16. So far so good. I can reach setup with F4, the device detects the hdds and usb sticks too.
I can reach the boot menu, but no matter I do, the system loads after it the initrd.gz, says ready, prints some cryptic chars and end.
I can plug in a hdd with working ReadyNAS 4.2.31, a hdd with OS6 , a preinstalled hdd with ubuntu server minimal using serial console
or a blank hdd, everytime the same things happens. Pressing reset at start until the stich prepared with recovery 4.2 or recovery6
don't change this. The system don't starts from usb stick. And I used different sticks, usb2, usb3, small, larger up to 16GB
all with Syslinux 3.31. I do not have the best experiences with unetbootin.
Pressing backup at start leads to "no active partition"
Disabling the onboard "usb-stick" don't helps, choosing an well prepared hdd for start, nothing.
Now is the point I have not any further usable idea. I have some experiences with headless systems like apu or soekris boards, but there I can start from external mediums or from a previous prepared hdd. Here not.
Yes, could use an external flasher. There is the U7 at the board, but I don't know, is this flash the SMBios flash aka "internal usb-stick" or the bios. If it is the smbios, can I flash it with R4toR6_6.9.5.bin.
Questions over questions and I have no answers. And no, the option to start TechSupport leads to the same as described. It don't works.
Has anybody here usable hints for me. Any hint is welcome.

Model: RNDU2000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 2)|READYNAS ULTRA 2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 2
mdgm
Virtuoso

Re: ReadyNAS ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RNDU2000 dead after upgrade

Sounds like your USB key partition 1 does not exist or is not set to bootable.

The system should be able to boot off USB.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements