× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus - cannot connect to Windows share for backups

ctbrowncoat
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus - cannot connect to Windows share for backups

Hi everyone. Apologies if this is the wrong spot to post, please feel free to redirect me... 

I'm unable to use the Backup functionality on my ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus because it cannot connect to shares on two different Windows 10 machines on my home network.  I've disabled password requirements, though it also couldn't connect even when using a Windows local account I created specifically for the NAS to use.  IP address or PC name, neither one works. Test Connection says cannot connect. When I run the job anyway, it fails and says cannot connect. The shares have "Everyone" set with Full Control permissions. Is there any kind of checklist or other things I can check? I'm sure it's something stupid. Screenshot attached - this was testing against my PC called "Kustom" trying both its name and its IP address. Thanks in advance! 

Model: ReadySHARE Vault|Backup your files on your PC
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus - cannot connect to Windows share for backups

It looks like you might have an extra slash in destination path, so perhaps check that.

Also, you need to enable the SMB 1.0/CIFS server on the PCs, since your older NAS can't handle SMB 3.  So check for that ("turn windows features on or off").

Message 2 of 3
ctbrowncoat
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus - cannot connect to Windows share for backups

Thanks, Stephen! It was the CIFS Server.  Once I enabled that, my NAS could connect to the machine.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements