× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Ultra 4

bgottschall
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Ultra 4

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 running RAIDiator 4.2.31.  This unit will be deprecated when IE is no longer usable as new browsers cannot communicate with the device.  I would like to update the device to current F/W (OS 6?) but cannot find an upgrade path.  Is this device done or can I update the firmware to version6.x?

Model: RNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS Ultra 4

@bgottschall wrote:

1. When you say backup, I assume you mean backup to some other local storage off the NAS as the unit will factory reset and wipe the installed disks in the described process.  Is that correct?  This may be the end of the road for me as I do not have adequate storage on hand elsewhere to accomplish this.

Correct.  As an aside - RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe, So you might want to look into backup options whether you decide to convert the NAS or not.  USB drives are one approach (either connected to the NAS, or connected to a PC).

@bgottschall wrote:

2. I was unaware the unit could have its RAM increased.  Is there a specification published for the RAM I need?  Should the RAM be upgraded before any other step listed below or after the unit is at OS6 if I go that way?

200-Pin DDR2 SODIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) should work.  The Ultra 4 has only one slot - it can take up to 4 GB modules, though 2 GB is enough.

@bgottschall wrote:

Starting to think I may just buy a new NAS and copy the contents of this one to that unit while it is still acccessible.

The add-on for 4.2.x systems should avoid that problem for now.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@bgottschall wrote:

This unit will be deprecated when IE is no longer usable as new browsers cannot communicate with the device.  

There is a (free) add-on that adds TLS 1.2 support to 4.2.x systems that you can find here:  https://rnxtras.com/

Installing the add-on will get you past the ERR-SSL-VERSION-OR-CIPHER-MISMATCH error.

That said, I agree that converting to OS-6 is a better option.

@bgottschall wrote:

I would like to update the device to current F/W (OS 6?) but cannot find an upgrade path.  Is this device done or can I update the firmware to version6.x?

The instructions have been posted here many, many times.

If you do decide to convert the Ultra, then I strongly recommend increasing the RAM.  Shipping OS-6 NAS have at least 2 GB of RAM, A stock Ultra only has 1 GB.  It might work, but several folks have run into out-of-memory conditions.  The upgrade is inexpensive, and is simple to do. 

The steps are

(Optionally) make sure the latest BIOS is installed before you do the conversion.  To do this you install  http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin as an add-on and reboot the NAS.  Do this after you backup the NAS.  This isn't necessary, but if you do want to update the bios it is easiest to do it prior to conversion

Basic instructions for the conversion itself are

1. BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP
  2. Upload PREPR4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin as an add-on using the ReadyNAS web gui, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
  3. Upload R4toR6_6.9.5.bin using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
  4. After you upload the addon+firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
  5. Go through the setup process on the converted NAS 
  6. Update the NAS to the current OS 6 (check for updates will work).
  7. Restore files from the backup.

Netgear won't provide paid support on a converted NAS, so that is one consideration.  There is a small risk that the process could fail, and if that were to happen it might not be possible to get the NAS running again.

Message 2 of 6
bgottschall
Aspirant

@StephenB 

Thank you!

A couple follow up questions...

1. When you say backup, I assume you mean backup to some other local storage off the NAS as the unit will factory reset and wipe the installed disks in the described process.  Is that correct?  This may be the end of the road for me as I do not have adequate storage on hand elsewhere to accomplish this.

2. I was unaware the unit could have its RAM increased.  Is there a specification published for the RAM I need?  Should the RAM be upgraded before any other step listed below or after the unit is at OS6 if I go that way?

Starting to think I may just buy a new NAS and copy the contents of this one to that unit while it is still acccessible.

I really appreciate the advice on this!

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@bgottschall wrote:

Correct.  As an aside - RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe, So you might want to look into backup options whether you decide to convert the NAS or not.  USB drives are one approach (either connected to the NAS, or connected to a PC).

@bgottschall wrote:

200-Pin DDR2 SODIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) should work.  The Ultra 4 has only one slot - it can take up to 4 GB modules, though 2 GB is enough.

@bgottschall wrote:

The add-on for 4.2.x systems should avoid that problem for now.

Message 4 of 6
bgottschall
Aspirant

@StephenB 

the link you provided for the Apache update to solve just the encryption issue takes me to a GitHub repository.  When I download the bin from that link and upload it as an add-on, it uploaded and then permitted me to install.  On restart of the NAS, it indicated it was updating and then rebooted.  After reboot I can access the shares but not the web interface by entering IP/admin in my Internet Explorer browser.

When I look closely at the info in the repository, it says it is for RAIDiator 5.x.  I am running 4.2.x.  Is it possible that the bin is not usable at my version and I hosed the web interface?

Any other thoughts about how I might clean up my mess? 

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@bgottschall wrote:

When I look closely at the info in the repository, it says it is for RAIDiator 5.x.  I am running 4.2.x.  Is it possible that the bin is not usable at my version and I hosed the web interface?

There are two links at rnxtras.com - the first for 4.2.x, the second for 5.x.  

I'd first try whatever browser worked when you installed the add-on. 

• If that still allows you to reach Frontview, then you could just try installing the correct add-on.
  • If that fails, you can try doing an OS reinstall from the boot menu (which will also reset the admin password back to netgear1).  Then maybe try the install again.

Note if you create a github account, you can also open an issue in the github.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements