× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas Will Not Power On

pelli69
Aspirant

ReadyNas Will Not Power On

We had a power failure at home and since then the ReadyNAS will not power up. I fear it has been fried after the power surge.

I had 6 drives in the unit at the time.

My question is if I place the 6 drives into another unit will I be able to access my data?

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 6|ReadyNAS-Ultra 6
Message 1 of 4
pelli69
Aspirant

Can I purchase the latest 6 Bay ReadyNAS and migrate from the old one that I have that no longer works?

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@pelli69 wrote:

Can I purchase the latest 6 Bay ReadyNAS and migrate from the old one that I have that no longer works?

No.  But you can temporarily mount the Ultra's disks on it, and offload the data.  https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86

If you don't have a backup plan in place now, then you should take care of that when you get the new system.  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

While a power surge can do a lot of damage, the most likely issue is the power supply.  If you have a "spare" ATX power supply, you can connect it externally to your NAS to power it up and see if getting a new power supply would fix the problem.  Or, you can use the NAS with the external supply to offload the data.

Your NAS uses a standard SFX format supply.  While the original SeaSonic supply is no longer in production, there are alternatives.

If you don't have a spare power supply from an old computer, and can't "borrow" one from a current computer, you'll have to decide if purchasing a supply on the chance that the power supply is the only damage is worth the gamble to you.

You didn't mention that you had updated your NAS to OS6, and @StephenB assumed you haven't, but if you have and you forgot to mention it, then you can just move the drives to another OS6 based NAS.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements