× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNas not visible to computers on the network

Tom2B
Guide

ReadyNas not visible to computers on the network

Most of the time my ReadyNAS is not visible to other computers on the network. It is visible to RaidAr. I have seen something if I tried to allow the ethernet address to pass through the firewall on the computer that the certificates were invalid. Is there any way to access the contents on the NAS?

Model: RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Tom2B wrote:

Most of the time my ReadyNAS is not visible to other computers on the network. It is visible to RaidAr. 

Can you log into the Frontview: https://nas-ip-address/admin  Use the real NAS ip address of course.

Are you running Windows 10 or macOS catalina?  If, not what are you running?

@Tom2B wrote:

I have seen something if I tried to allow the ethernet address to pass through the firewall on the computer that the certificates were invalid.

The certificates are self-signed, and browsers will generate warnings when you access Frontview.  You need to click through those warnings (clicking on "advanced" in Chrome).

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Sorry, no certificates involved on these protocols required firewall settings. 

What kind of computer and firewall are you talking of here? WIndows 10 does nicely configure the firewall when configured for a private network, allowing the NetBIOS host announcement (broadcast based), the NetBIOS name resolution (broadcast based, too), and the SMB 1.0 transport protocol to work - nothing to fine tune.

Raidar does make use of another, but also broadcast based discovery protocol.

Message 3 of 7
Tom2B
Guide

I am running Windows 10 on the computers. Using Firefox I was able to login the the NAS after overriding the warnings not to procede. If I look at settings and devices the NAS shows up under Other devices but if I am looking at the list of network connections in the Windows Explorer the NAS isn't listed. I still can't access the files on the NAS.

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Windows 10 - business as usual:

• SMB 1.0/CIFS Client feature enabled?
  • Network Status - Private Network?
  • No 3rd party Internet "Security" **** in place?

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:
  • SMB 1.0/CIFS Client feature enabled?
  • Network Status - Private Network?
  • No 3rd party Internet "Security" **** in place

Yes.  Do check "turn windows features on and off" and make sure that the SMB 1.0/CIFS client is installed.

Also check the Windows network classification (which should be private).  If you do have internet security software installed, try disabling it.

Also, ignore the network list for now, and try entering \\nas-ip-address in the Windows File Explorer address bar.  Use the real NAS IP address of course - and be careful on the slash direction.  If you use // you will launch your browser.

Message 6 of 7
Tom2B
Guide

SMB was not enabled. When I did that I was able connect to the NAS using the IP address in  Windows explorer. I was also able to be find some files that I was looking for. The NAS only shows up under the Network on the computer on which I logged in on.

Thanks for the assistance.

Tom

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements