× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas 6 Pro - Stuck on Readynas

roggy1234
Aspirant

Readynas 6 Pro - Stuck on Readynas

Hi guys,

Hope you can help - Firstly a bit of history - I wanted to install the latest version of Plex on my Nas only to realise that I needed OS 6

(I had resisted OS 6 but now I needed to upgrade)

So I did the prep4to6 and r4to6 upgrade (thank you btw whoever does these!)

Everything was working great (synced over my backups from my ultra) and installed the new plex - started to sync the library - and the Readynas stopped responding to ping (left it on for 6 hrs before doing a forced shutdown)

Booted back up and stuck on logo -( I suspect it would have done it at the first reboot anyway)

Things Ive tried:

1) using the reset switch to get to the boot menu - fail

2) removing all drives to get raidar to say "no drives" - fail (not seen by raidar)

3) USB recovery - using the 4.2 recovery with a os6.10 bin file - fail

(tried multiple thumb drives - and have tested it is bootable by using a laptop - it does boot)

4) USB recovery using vanilla 4.2 recovery - fail

one of the usbs has an activity led and other than the initial boot it doesnt light up

Trying reset switch for 30 secs, backup switch for 30 seconds - ive heard of an offical guide to usb recovery - to get it to us usb boot menu

but cant find it.

I would just like it wiped and start again - help me ob wan youre my only hope 🙂

(to any jedis out there ;))

Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Readynas 6 Pro - Stuck on Readynas

If, with no drives installed, it still just says "ReadyNAS" and no visibility in RAIDar, then you have a corrupted flash memory or something is wrong with the chassis (possibly the power supply).

When the NAS s on, can you shut it down by a long press of the power button?  If not, I'd lean toward the power supply as the culpret.  It's typically the first thing to go.  It's not that it's inadaquate, people just tend to keep NASes longer than PC's, and run them 24/7, so it wears out.

Message 2 of 4
roggy1234
Aspirant

Hi,

It does shutdown if I push and hold the powerbutton - does that mean the psu is actually ok?

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

@roggy1234 wrote:

Hi,

It does shutdown if I push and hold the powerbutton - does that mean the psu is actually ok?

Not necessarily, but it's a good sign regarding the power supply.  But it could be a bad sign regarding the NAS as a whole, since replacing the power supply is one of the few things you can actually do as far as repair is concerned.

Do you have an ATX power supply you can use as a temporary external supply?  It's premature to go buying a new internal SFX supply, but if you already have one that can be used externally, it could be worth trying.  The ATX supply will have all the right connections (well, maybe not enough 4-pin Molex connectors to power all drives, but enough to see if it gets past "ReadyNAS"), it just won't fi inside.

Another option is that there is a VGA header on the CPU board, and installing a cable and connector to it will allow you to connect a monitor and view BIOS settings, POST, and boot-up messages.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements