× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Duo V1

GougeM
Aspirant

Readynas Duo V1

Originally had system set up as 2 mirrored 2TB WD Green drives.

System stopped booting.

Removed both drives and used externall enclosure to inspect drives with R-linux.

1 drive not accessible and other drive is.  I do not know which drive was 1 and which was 2.  Data seems to be intact on accesible drive.

Purchased a new drive the same.

Reset NAS and inserted new drive, system boots ok and seems to be fine.

How can I best recover data from the accessible drive.

Do I just insert it as drive 2, do I connect usiing enclosure and usb on NAS and copy data over.

My understanding is that on a 2 drive mirror setup one drive is the primary one which might explain why the system stopped booting as the primary drive boot sector got corrupted, any ideas anyone.

TIA

G

Model: RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Readynas Duo V1

DO NOT install the old drive alongside the new one in that manner.  You will lose your data.

Assuming this was an XRAID volume, you insert just the old working drive and let the NAS boot.  At that point, it would be good to make a backup before adding the second drive since the RAID sync process puts stress on the drive and failure of that other one is always a possibility.  It's not really that important it be in the original slot.  If you have an old downloaded log file, you can find the drive serial numbers in disk_smart.log to see where it was installed.

Once you are ready to install the new drive, do so with the power on.  It's content will be wiped out (thus the warning not to make your old one the second one installed) and it will be added to the RAID.  While OS6 warns you the drive has data on it and again warns you it will wipe the data when you go to format it, RAIDiator 4.1.x that is in your older NAS just moves ahead with the format of the added drive when it sees one, wiping the data.

If you had something other than XRAID/RAID1, data recovery is unlikely.

Message 2 of 4
GougeM
Aspirant

I am thinking to be safe I mount the old drive inthe external enclosure on my PC wiht R linux and then copy all data to another drive I have.

Then do as you suggest.  If it goes wrong then I can at least copy the data back from the backup.

As a point what format drive does the usb sockets read on the NAS?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@GougeM wrote:

I am thinking to be safe I mount the old drive inthe external enclosure on my PC wiht R linux and then copy all data to another drive I have.

I was going to suggest that, I agree it's a best option since you are already set up with R-Linux

@GougeM wrote:

... what format drive does the usb sockets read on the NAS?

ext (linux), NTFS and FAT32.  USB performance on the Duo is very slow - it's fastest to transfer data over wired ethernet.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements