× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas NV+ Stuck at Quota check

fstrydom
Aspirant

Readynas NV+ Stuck at Quota check

Hi All. My Readynas NV+ experienced a power interruption. When I turned it on afterwards, it got stuck at "Quota check 11.1%". I was not able to connect with Raidar at that point. During startup I noticed that Disk 2 LED flashed a few times, then solid. My assumption was that disk 2 is failing which led me to remove disk 2. I powered up without disk 2, LED for disk 2 was flashing as there were no disk 2 present, but then it got stuck at the same place again. "Quota check 11.1%". After reading older forum messages showing the same symptoms I thought it will start up fine without disk 2. I then put disk 2 back and turned it on. This time it displayed "disk 2 sync" then "quota check", which went up to 11.1% again an FROZE...again. Now i have a bit of a situation. Any suggestions?

Model: ReadyNASRND4410|ReadyNAS NV+ 4TB (4 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas NV+ Stuck at Quota check

Did you try using the boot menu option to skip the volume check?

See pages 23-24 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

Message 2 of 6
fstrydom
Aspirant

Hi. Thank you for the reply. I have noticed it in the manual, but have not tried it yet. I was a bit cautious about the warning that goes with it. "Use this option to skip
the scan and let the system boot. Use this boot mode only if instructed to do so by a
NETGEAR technical support representative. Otherwise, you might lose data". I guess I will have to take the risk and do it. Have you had much experience with this option?
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@fstrydom wrote:
 Have you had much experience with this option?

Some (though I generally haven't needed it myself).  I don't think it's particularly risky - and if the file system is damaged you often don't want the NAS to attempt to repair it.

Message 4 of 6
fstrydom
Aspirant

Thank you for the advice StephenB. I went with the Skip Volume Check boot option and after a few hours disk 2 were synched and the system is fully redundant. I can then shut it down and start it up without issues; however, if I browse some particular folders the system freezes, then I have to pull the plug to shut it down. Also, it looks like disk 4 might be the one that is actually starting to fail as i get notifications that ata errors are increasing on this disk.
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

First download the log zip file, and look for disk errors there.  Disk_smart.log has this info. 

If it is disk 4, you can try powering down, and booting it with disk 4 removed, and see if that lets you complete the backup.   I suggest backing up everything you practically can before you try this.  Also avoid writing to the volume until you have copied everything off.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements