× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas duo v1 - lost shares, no logs, disks ok/green - OS reinstall

acarmich
Aspirant

Readynas duo v1 - lost shares, no logs, disks ok/green - OS reinstall

Looking to replace my legacy readynas v1 (= overdue, I know !). 

I have a data which I want to recover but the 'shares' have disappeared. Also, no logs are being written. The device boots up OK, both disks show green lights and I am not aware of any failures. Front view shows 0mb used/free which is a bit of a worry.

Does the above point to a corruption, which might be fixed by an OS reinstall ?

How safe is this (= I dont want to factory reset and destroy all the data on the disks) ?

Any other thoughts on how best to go about recovering/transferring the files from this old readynas ?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas duo v1 - lost shares, no logs, disks ok/green - OS reinstall

@acarmich wrote:

I have a data which I want to recover but the 'shares' have disappeared. Also, no logs are being written. The device boots up OK, both disks show green lights and I am not aware of any failures. Front view shows 0mb used/free which is a bit of a worry.

Any other thoughts on how best to go about recovering/transferring the files from this old readynas ?

I suggest getting RAID recovery software, and connecting disk 1 of the Duo to a PC (sata or with a USB adapter/dock).

R-linux for Windows is a reasonable tool to start with (as it is free).

You could also try the paid version of R-studio - you should be able to see what (if anything) it can recover before purchase.

@acarmich wrote:

Certainly there is some corruption - either of the configuration files or the data volume file system.

An OS reinstall should be safe, but I don't think it is likely to fix your problem.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@acarmich wrote:

I suggest getting RAID recovery software, and connecting disk 1 of the Duo to a PC (sata or with a USB adapter/dock).

R-linux for Windows is a reasonable tool to start with (as it is free).

You could also try the paid version of R-studio - you should be able to see what (if anything) it can recover before purchase.

@acarmich wrote:

Certainly there is some corruption - either of the configuration files or the data volume file system.

An OS reinstall should be safe, but I don't think it is likely to fix your problem.

Message 2 of 3
acarmich
Aspirant

Many thanks - managed to recover ALL my files and transfer.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements