× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas stuck on booting after failed manual firmware update

Kochev
Guide

Readynas stuck on booting after failed manual firmware update

Hello everyone,

My attempt to update my readynas nvx yesterday failed an now the device is stuck on booting. No matter which option I choose the displyy shows Booting... (even in tech support mode).

I tried to recover the device based on the https://kb.netgear.com/30267/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool article.

The device boots from the USB drive but cannot detect the firmware. When I look at the firmware, there is no file extention (img etc.) I have tried with the newest one RAIDiator-x86-4.2.31 and the RAIDiator-4.1.16. I tried renaming the files to img at the end. I tried also to flush the zip files. Every time the device boots from the usb and cannot load the firmware. There is no indication about USB recovery on the display.

I also tried the older method to flash the firmware on a logical drive using Rewrite32, but the nvx does not detect or boot from the usb and the power button flashes blue.

Please let me know if you have any suggestion. I just bought a new power supply because the old one died, and I am not really into putting any additional money in this old device and pay for support. I am open for any suggestions.

Best

Model: RNDX4420|ReadyNAS NVX 8TB (4 x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 8
Kochev
Guide

Re: Readynas stuck on booting after failed manual firmware update

I am having actually the same problem as that one https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Stuck-booting-ReadyNAS-NVX/td-p/144... . Although there is no real describtion of the solution there.

Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Kochev wrote:

I am having actually the same problem as that one https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Stuck-booting-ReadyNAS-NVX/td-p/144... . Although there is no real describtion of the solution there.

First of all, the correct firmware for your NVX is 4.2.31.

Your link starts with a suggestion that someone had tried to upgrade the NVX to OS 6 firmware.  Is that something you tried?  That will fail (as the original poster knew).

Message 3 of 8
Kochev
Guide

Sorry. I had to write an update. I have successfully restored the firmware. The update process and the tools are extremely buggy. And I had to try at least ten times before making this work.

And yes, I have tried to update the firmware to version 6 because I did had the chance to find inforation that the this version is not supported on the NVX. It is really pitty that this device does not support smb 2 and 3. I understand that it is an old one but Microsoft has introduced the smb2 protocol mid 2009 and the last firmware for this Readynas is from 2017 with no smb 2 or 3 support. What a joke!

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Are any of the PC's you currently use 11 years old?  I doubt it, so why do you expect an 11 year old NAS to still be a viable primary storage device?

The 32-bit limitation of the NVX is quite a limitation, even if Netgear did have a desire to do a more extenasive update than the security updates they have done in more recent years.  If your use exposes SMB1 to the internet, then it's time you moved on to an updated piece of hardware.  If it does not, then why does this concern you?

Message 5 of 8
Kochev
Guide

Hi there,

yes I have some old sony vaio and 12 years old macbook unibody in my basemement. The vaio is running windows 10 and the macbook is also usable. What limitations? Netgear didnt manage to update its software to smb2 or smb3 for 10 years between 2007 and 2017. What limitation is the x86 architecture in this case?

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Kochev wrote:

Sorry. I had to write an update. I have successfully restored the firmware. 

And yes, I have tried to update the firmware to version 6 because I did had the chance to find inforation that the this version is not supported on the NVX. 

I'm glad you got it up again.  You could have bricked it altogether.  OS-6 requires a 64 bit architecture.

As far as support goes, Netgear stopped shipping 4.2.x ReadyNAS in 2013.  Firmware updates after that were limited to bug fixes and security updates - there weren't any major feature updates. 

You can of course turn on SMB-1 on the Windows machines.  NFS is another option (at least for some versions of Windows 10).

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

The limitation is that there is no SMB2 or SMB3 for the base Linux distro used in ReadyNAS OS 4.2.x.  So, a complete update, not just a patch here or there for security, would be needed. SMB2 also contains no "Unix extensions" such as oplocks; which was a factor for many Linux systems avoiding it's use.

The simple fact was that Samba SMB 1 was working and extremely stable -- why would you jump on a new system when there is no immediate need?  There was no announcement of SMB1 being unsafe before Netgear stopped making any 4.2.x updates except those for security purposes.  And just how "unsafe" SMB1 is in the use case of most NAS users is open for discussion.  If there were a simple way to implement SMB3, I rather suspect Netgear would have included it in one of the security updates.

As for your old computers "usable" and "in normal use" are not the same thing.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements