× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recommended replacement for 2 x Readynas ultra 2s

beaumonr
Aspirant

Recommended replacement for 2 x Readynas ultra 2s

Hi,

I have a couple of Readynas Ultra 2s each with 2 x 2 tb Western Digital Drives, its running 4.2.31 as I was not comfortable upgrading to OS6. One is main and the other is backup using Rsynch.  All been work fine until recently a power supply went on the blink, tried to get it then came across the  protocol error accessing the admin page via Https, resolved it by digging out an old pc as the HTTP work around didn't work. (for me).

Anyway I'm now feeling exposed as they become older and more difficult to support so I was contemplating purchasing  a pair of new NAS boxes. Ideally I'd like to minimse the grief and if I could just plug and play the discs into new chassis that would great......is it possible?

The alternative would be to purchase a couple of fully laden NAS units and then transfer the data. Can anyone recommend anything?

This is a home / small business use with only 2 users. Its basically file storage for documents and photos and videos. It would be nice to have a bit more functionality to stream our family videos across the network to our TV.... but the document storage is the most important.

I'm slightly limited for physical space so the form factor of the Ultra 2 is ideal, we have only used 53% of the storage space so I'm  not looking for anything massive but would probably go for 2 x 4TB disks in each one.

As I said above I really need the most streamlined  changeover path possible as I've got a lot on my plate, the main user of the documents is my wife for her business so I need to keep is trouble free and future proofed for a good few years

many thanks to anyone who can provide any advice

cheers

Rob

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Recommended replacement for 2 x Readynas ultra 2s

@beaumonr wrote:

as the HTTP work around didn't work. (for me).

Are you saying you couldn't install the add-on from www.rnxtras.com ?

@beaumonr wrote:

Anyway I'm now feeling exposed as they become older and more difficult to support so I was contemplating purchasing  a pair of new NAS boxes. Ideally I'd like to minimse the grief and if I could just plug and play the discs into new chassis that would great......is it possible?

Unfortunately it is not.

@beaumonr wrote:

The alternative would be to purchase a couple of fully laden NAS units and then transfer the data. Can anyone recommend anything?

This is a home / small business use with only 2 users. Its basically file storage for documents and photos and videos. It would be nice to have a bit more functionality to stream our family videos across the network to our TV.... but the document storage is the most important.

Although Netgear hasn't said anything publicly, they appear to be on a path to exit the NAS business.  A couple of users have heard this from Netgear employees (I have not).  They haven't released a new ReadyNAS platform since 2017, and inventory of the existing platforms is very scarce (and often seriously overpriced).  So the evidence is all pointing in that direction.

That said, the relevant 2-bay ReadyNAS platforms for you would be the RN212 or RN422. These are the two newest 2-bay platforms.  If you are willing to risk getting a used NAS, you could add in the RN312 and the RN202.  I'd avoid the RN102 - it is much slower than the others, and doesn't really have enough memory.  

Other options would be to look at Synology, Qnap, or perhaps Asustor.  I've never owned these, so I can't make a recommendation.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@beaumonr wrote:

as the HTTP work around didn't work. (for me).

Are you saying you couldn't install the add-on from www.rnxtras.com ?

@beaumonr wrote:

Unfortunately it is not.

@beaumonr wrote:

Although Netgear hasn't said anything publicly, they appear to be on a path to exit the NAS business.  A couple of users have heard this from Netgear employees (I have not).  They haven't released a new ReadyNAS platform since 2017, and inventory of the existing platforms is very scarce (and often seriously overpriced).  So the evidence is all pointing in that direction.

That said, the relevant 2-bay ReadyNAS platforms for you would be the RN212 or RN422. These are the two newest 2-bay platforms.  If you are willing to risk getting a used NAS, you could add in the RN312 and the RN202.  I'd avoid the RN102 - it is much slower than the others, and doesn't really have enough memory.  

Other options would be to look at Synology, Qnap, or perhaps Asustor.  I've never owned these, so I can't make a recommendation.

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

The upgrade to OS6 is still a viable, and your cheapest, option.

Message 3 of 5
beaumonr
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

I'll just start by saying thank you once again for replying to all my questions.

With regard to Netgear potentially withdrawing from the NAS market, I think you're probably connect, so I've been having a look at alternatives and I think the Synology DS220+ seems to offer the right stuff for me. Time to bite the bullet and change I think. Once everything is transferred I'll probably have a go at upgrading the ready as boxes to OS6... Could be a double back up.

I managed to get on with an old laptop running XP and explorer...but I'll have a look at that patch you recommended.

Thanks again for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob
Message 4 of 5
beaumonr
Aspirant

Hi,
Yes thanks, I appreciate that the OS6 upgrade would be the cheapest option but it's a case of risk versus reward....the risk of an unsupported (by netgear) issue which could results in catastrophic is too great. As Stephen suggested Netgear seem to be slowly withdrawing from the NAS market so it's a good point to make the change. I will have a go at the upgrade once I've safely transferred all the files, then maybe use them or sell them...

Thanks again for your reply.
Cheers
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements