× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recovery of Data from READYNAS NV+ V2

Maddog452
Follower

Recovery of Data from READYNAS NV+ V2

Dear NETGEAR

I recently returned from an extended absence overseas ~12 months and I have attempted to re-establish my home network, including my NAS which I have used constantly for a number of years. On trying to reestablich my shares, I was blocked by Windows in relation to SMB1  no longer being supported in Windows 10.

I found this post which gave the solution "Upgrade your crappy old NAS" basically. While I understand that nothing lasts for ever, I now have about 8 GB of data that I thought was safe that I can no longer access - that is far too safe. How do I retrieve my data without exposing myself to other security threats.

Model: RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Recovery of Data from READYNAS NV+ V2

First of all, you can enable the smb 1.0 client in the PC, and access the files.  Although the 1.0 protocol isn't secure, in my opinion it is ok to enable it on a home network.  Go into "turn windows features on or off" to enable it. 

Longer term, you will need to upgrade the NAS to a newer model (for instance the RN214).  You could continue to use the v2 NAS to back up the new one (and that is something I do with my own older NAS).

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements