× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remote on Windows 8.1 | Error code -3

MammothJerk
Aspirant

Remote on Windows 8.1 | Error code -3

I'm getting this error after installing windows 8.1

is there a fix for this or will i have to wait until it gets updated to officially support 8.1?
Message 1 of 19
MammothJerk
Aspirant

Re: Error code -3

bump...

is this the wrong forum? if so could someone please redirect me to the forum that could give me some help with this question
Message 2 of 19
chirpa
Luminary

Right forum, just lack of support. You can try contacting NTGR support. http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx
Message 3 of 19
MammothJerk
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
Right forum, just lack of support. You can try contacting NTGR support. http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx

alrighty ill try that, thanks
Message 4 of 19
dualsweat
Aspirant

Re: Remote on Windows 8.1 | Error code -3

Hi All,

I am getting the exact same error with Windows 8.1 and ReadyNAS remote. I rely heavily on ReadyNAS remote so if there is no solution for Windows 8.1 Ill need to rollback to Windows 8.0.

Please advise when we can expect a fix!

Thank You,

Matt M.-------
Message 5 of 19
chirpa
Luminary

No one here so far can advise on that. Try https://remote.readynas.com/emailer.jsp
Message 6 of 19
ianren
Aspirant

I have been having similar problems since upgrading to 8.1. Have escalated to Level 2 support who have been investigating. They have now escalated to Level 3 support. Received a phone call this morning to say that the problem has been acknowledged and is being investigated. A suggestion was to try running in compatibility mode, but I have just replied to say that I can't get that to work either. No further information yet received. Watch this space!
Message 7 of 19
dualsweat
Aspirant

Thanks for the update ianren. Please keep this thread updated if you get any new info! Im considering rolling back to Win 8.0, but Ill wait a little longer to see if there is a solution.

Thanks!

M---------
Message 8 of 19
rossmc
Aspirant

I have installed this on 2 machines now as follows;
First, uninstall Readynas Remote (I use Windows key, X; Programs and Features and select Readynas and then click uninstall.

Download Readynas Remote from https://remote.readynas.com/download.html (I googled Readynas Remote)

Run program - on my system it is ReadyNASRemoteSetup_w8_v1.6.5.22.exe

Get to install and you will see a screen "Installing Firewall driver via plugin fwleaf.sys (amd64). I suspect amd64 is because I have a 64 bit system.

Then a second box pops up - Files Needed - The file 'fwleaf.sys' in Netgear Firewall Driver Disc is needed. Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR ReadyNAS\Remote\adapter\x64 (on my system). When you click OK is should install perfectly.

Good luck

Ross
Message 9 of 19
ianren
Aspirant

Hi Ross.
Thanks for this. On my pc there is no "adapter" sub folder within C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR ReadyNAS\Remote\. The fwleaf.sys file is installed in the "drivers" subfolder within the "System32" folder in the Windows directory. Having successfully navigated to that, I was able to get the application to install. It's just that after having installed, it would "hang" on its initialisation with the ReadyNAS Remote server. This is the same on two different 8.1 machines I have tried. It continued to work fine in W8.
During my discussions with Level 2 Support at Netgear, they also tried to re-install and get it to initialise using remote access to my Desktop, but couldn't!! Having escalated to Level 3 Support, I was told that it is a known issue, and that they are working on it. I have heard nothing more as yet.
Message 10 of 19
MammothJerk
Aspirant

rossmc wrote:
I have installed this on 2 machines now as follows;
First, uninstall Readynas Remote (I use Windows key, X; Programs and Features and select Readynas and then click uninstall.

Download Readynas Remote from https://remote.readynas.com/download.html (I googled Readynas Remote)

Run program - on my system it is ReadyNASRemoteSetup_w8_v1.6.5.22.exe

Get to install and you will see a screen "Installing Firewall driver via plugin fwleaf.sys (amd64). I suspect amd64 is because I have a 64 bit system.

Then a second box pops up - Files Needed - The file 'fwleaf.sys' in Netgear Firewall Driver Disc is needed. Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\NETGEAR ReadyNAS\Remote\adapter\x64 (on my system). When you click OK is should install perfectly.

Good luck

Ross

This actually fixed it for me with Windows 8.1. thanks a lot ross 😃
Message 11 of 19
ianren
Aspirant

Apologies for lack of updates but the reason is that simply, there aren't any! Both Level 2 and Level 3 support have now had remote access and seem unable to resolve the issue. As this is on my main work pc, I am now calling a halt to this nonsense at my inconvenience, as I can't afford either the time or resource, let alone risk on which my work relies. This needs to be fixed rather than attempts at "patching" individual installations. Having been a regular Netgear customer for many years, I will seriously be considering my options when the time comes for future upgrades or installations.
Message 12 of 19
LupoCo
Aspirant

I another unhappy person. Initial testing with Remote worked but it's now essentially totally unreliable.
Tech support has spent multiple hours and haven't succeeded.
Message 13 of 19
DonD320
Aspirant

I also have the dreaded Error code -3 on both my Windows 8.1 machines. Prior to the 8.1 upgrade all was well and I could remote into the NAS. Now even after two weeks of repeated Level 2 and 3 support calls and Level 3 remote access to my machines I'm unable to use or install ReadyNAS Remote. The issue has been escalated from Level 3 to the "Engineers". By "engineers" I assume Netgear has basically given up and is sidelining me. Synology appears to offer much better back end support, even for older units, so as soon as I can find a deal on a Synology unit I'll be dumping this unit. Sad, though, because I've always liked Netgear products and this NAS is well constructed.
Message 14 of 19
Durdane
Tutor

Hi you all.
I have exactly the same problem: In the past ReadyNASRemote worked well and stable on my Windows 8 machine. But since the update to Windows 8.1 it became unstable and after reinstallment it didn't work anymore.
I also get the error -3 message now.

Does somebody know anything further about this issue?
I haven't asked for help from netgear support yet. I will do that tomorrow.

Thanks for any help!

Durdane
Message 15 of 19
bzoum
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue with my RN104.
It's a shame that I can't use the functions promoted by Netgear !
Message 16 of 19
jcaley
Aspirant

I got this error when trying to use readynas remote after upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10. I tried installing readycloud - it can't find my NAS even while raidar is talking to the NAS on the same Network and the computer is accessing files from the NAS. I uninstalled readycloud and readynas remote and reinstalled readynas remote (took a long time), but still got the error code -3. Any update on this problem?

Message 17 of 19
jcaley
Aspirant

I haven't tried this solution but netgear have the following in Support

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24215

Message 18 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@jcaley wrote:

I got this error when trying to use readynas remote after upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10. I tried installing readycloud - it can't find my NAS even while raidar is talking to the NAS on the same Network and the computer is accessing files from the NAS. I uninstalled readycloud and readynas remote and reinstalled readynas remote (took a long time), but still got the error code -3. Any update on this problem?

You need the readyremote beta with windows 10.  See ReadyNAS Remote BETA for Windows

Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements