× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Runaway alerts

StuBarrett1
Aspirant

Runaway alerts

OK, replaced my dead power supply on my ReadyNAS Business/Pro model RNDP6000.

I'm now getting this alert once a minute:

3VDUAL power is out of normal range [expected: 3.30 current: 3.04].

AVCC power is out of normal range [expected: 3.30 current: 3.09]

I've turned off my SMTP alerts, but the logs are growing and I keep getting a pop-up notifications when I'm logged into the Admin page.

Two questions:

- The unit appears to be working fine, so it this a bad problem?

- If not, then how do I turn off these alerts?

BTW, the new power supply indicates that it provides 3.3v.  The technition thought that it could be due to the old molex connectors.

Thanks, Stu

Message 1 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Runaway alerts

Since the 24-pin ATX connectors is not repeatedly connected and re-connected, the fact that it is "old" is unlikely to be the problem.  3,3V is on 4 wires -- the orabge ones.  You could check that they are making good contact, but I suspect you have a power supply that's genuinely supplying out-of-spec voltage.  Did your technician check that voltage under the load of the NAS?

If you've checked and the voltage really is OK, you could edit /etc/sensors.d/system.conf via SSH and change the test limits for the 3.3V.  The lines that control that are:

label in2 "AVCC"
set in2_min 3.3 * 0.90
set in2_max 3.3 * 1.10
label in3 VCC3
set in3_min 3.3 * 0.90
set in3_max 3.3 * 1.10

I hate to say anything derogatory about somebody I've never met, but anyone who thinks that's not a problem and says it "could be" because of old connectors and then does no further investigation does not deserve the title "technician".

Message 2 of 13
StuBarrett1
Aspirant

Thanks, for the tip on how to change the voltage threasholds.

As the the technician testing the voltage underload, there was no way in hell that I was going to put my disks in the chassis with him poking around 😉

Stu

Message 3 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Jusr FYI, the drives put no load on the 3.3V, so powering up without them would be as good a test on the 3.3V as with them.  Of course, the NAS won't boot to the condition where you see if the NAS itself reports the low voltage.  But you could use a scratch disk for that.  It takes very little time for it to initialize a single-drive volums.

Message 4 of 13
YottaByte
Aspirant

Sandshark,

I have a legacy ReadyNAS Pro Business RNDP6000 and the same problem as StuBarrett1 after replacing my dead original Seasonic power supply. My ReadyNAS boot_info.log shows min values of 3.12V for both AVCC and 3VDUAL resulting in the runaway alerts for my 3.06V and 3.07V voltages. When I SSH in as root, I don't see the /etc/sensors.d/ directory and can't find the system.conf file. My /etc directory listing has no /sensors.d directory between the /security and /services directories. Any thoughts on this, please?

Thanks,

Karl

Message 5 of 13
tomfrey2320
Aspirant

Hi ,

I have same issue with a replaced power supply on a readynas pro6 ... I can ssh to the nas but there is not a file in the same location as you tate above. where do I find the file to edit the warning thresholds?

Tom

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@tomfrey2320 wrote:

Hi ,

I have same issue with a replaced power supply on a readynas pro6 ... I can ssh to the nas but there is not a file in the same location as you tate above. where do I find the file to edit the warning thresholds?

Tom

What firmware are you running on the NAS?

Message 7 of 13
tomfrey2320
Aspirant

HI Sorry about that

RAIDiator 4.2.31 

Message 8 of 13
YottaByte
Aspirant

Tom,

I was told that the /etc/sensors.d/system.conf file mentioned in an earlier posting is only applicable to OS6, not RAIDiator 4.2.x. The runaway alert problem was due to a bad replacement supply I obtained from an ebay seller. I located a new Seasonic SS-300SFD supply locally which fixed the issue.

Karl

Message 9 of 13
tomfrey2320
Aspirant

Hi Karl,

Ok thanks ... where did you get you ss-300sfd from ... I could not locate any and also bought one from a ebay seller that is causing this popup

tom

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@tomfrey2320 wrote:

RAIDiator 4.2.31 

I think @Sandshark's path is for OS-6.  At least that path doesn't exist on my Pro-6 (also running 4.2.31).

Message 11 of 13
YottaByte
Aspirant

Tom,

I purchased Item Number SS-300SFD from Technology Center below. The Seasonic SS-300SFD supply was identical to my original supply, except for a shorter main power harness, for which I got an 8" ATX 24pin extension. I returned the problem power supply to the ebay seller.

Technology Center

1681 Glendale Ave

Sparks, NV 89431

(775) 329-8100

https://www.tcreno.com/

sales@tcreno.com

Message 12 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, it is OS6 only.  Sorry for the confusion.  I can find no similar path for OS4.2.x.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements