× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SSH access for readynas duo v1

pookieman
Aspirant

SSH access for readynas duo v1

Hi

I know there are tons of articles out there on this but nothing seems to be working for me. This was working for me fine but I think I might have edited a file somewhere on the file system that said enable root access and disabled it. In the meantime I've installed/reinstalled the EnableRootSSH_1.0.bin and rebooted I can see in the logs :

"Successfully enabled root SSH access. The root password is now the same as your admin password."

I can connect as admin over http and use my normal admin password. When I try and ssh using root@ .. I get "Permission denied, please try again." I even downloaded all logs and checked the boot_info.log and the last line says "ssh: 1258956131"

So I think it's enabled but I still can't ssh. I don't want to delete all my data - is there another way I can login or just mount the / dir then I can find the file I manuallsy edited and unedit it.

thanks in advance for any help

Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: SSH access for readynas duo v1

If you download your logs do you see SSH=1 in services.conf

Not knowing what you did if EnableRootSSH isn't bringing SSH access back you may end up needing to do a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) then install the add-on again.

Or if you are comfortable with using tech support mode you may be able to revert your change using that.

Message 2 of 5
pookieman
Aspirant

Yeah it says

SHAREACCESS=SAMBA,NETATALK
SHOW_REGISTRATION_BUTTON=1
SHUTDOWN_ON_DISK_OVERTEMP=1
SMTP_PROVIDER=Gmail
SNAPSHOT_PCT=5
SNMPD=0
SNMP_COMMUNITY=public
SNMP_SUPPORT=1
SNMP_TRAP_DESTINATION=
SSH=1
SSHKEY=rsa
SUPPORT_URL=
SUPPORT_URL_ja=
SUPPORT_UTF8_NAMES=1
TEMP=0
UDHCPD=0
UPNP=1
UPNPAV=1
UPNPAV_SUPPORT=1
UPNP_SUPPORT=1
USER_HOME_DIRECTORY=1
VLAN_SUPPORT=1
VOLUME_SUMMARY_TAB=0
WINBIND=0
WIZD=0
WIZD_SUPPORT=1

I think there was a file somewhere that said enable root ssh and I changed to not enabled Man Frustrated

if I could find a way to get access to the linux file system I could probably locate it and edit it back, but currently I only have access to the webapp and I can mount the shares, but not access the root folders.. feel silly for doing this - I am normally more tech savvy

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

It's been a long time since I used an OS 4.1 system, but I seem to recall EnableRootSSH being a toggle.  You run it once, it enables.  Again, and it disables, etc.  It may not give the right message when disabling.

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ToggleSSH is for Toggling SSH access for support.

EnableRootSSH is not a toggle add-on.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements