× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Samba 4.1.17 for ReadyNAS Duo v1 (sparc)

bc732
Tutor

Samba 4.1.17 for ReadyNAS Duo v1 (sparc)

Hi all,

I just picked one of these old guys up for super cheap.  I kept finding posts where people were told that you couldn't get any newer versions of Samba on it, but I decided to try anyway. 

I ended up getting Samba 4.1.17 compiled and working with SMB3!

Note that I am not a developer or package maintainer, so I might not have gotten everything perfect.  For example, I ended up compiling Samba without CUPS support, because it was giving me a weird error when running ./configure.

Deb file here.

What I did to get it running:

Factory reset my ReadyNAS, which is running RAIDiator 4.1.16.

Ran through the setup wizard

Installed the addons for root SSH and apt

apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall grep perl perl-modules apt-get remove samba-common libwbclient0 mkdir /run mkdir /run/samba mkdir /var/lib/samba/private dpkg -i samba_4.1.17-1_sparc.deb

Added this to [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf:

min protocol = smb2

and finally..

smbpasswd
/etc/init.d/samba restart

Then I had to re create my user in the web panel.

Then, boom.  SMB3

I still need to mess with the smb.conf, but everything seems to work, including adding shares with the web panel.

Speed seems comparable to the original, maybe a little faster.

Message 1 of 29
Sandshark
Sensei

If you have to "mess with" smb.conf and put things in it that the OS normally doesn't, then you could run into issues whever you do something that causes the NAS to re-write that.  So, just keep an eye out that your changes stay changed.

Message 2 of 29
bc732
Tutor

Good call.  Maybe add a separate config.

Message 3 of 29
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't have a system runing OS 4.1.x, but I do have a 4.2.x and they tend to mostly follow the same strucure.  Check /etc/samba/smb.conf to see if it contains the line include = /etc/frontview/samba/addons/addons.conf.   If it does, put any additions or overrides (to anything above that include line, including what's included in Shares.conf) is addons.conf.  It's purpose seems to be so apps can make changes to smb.conf without worry that the OS will overwrite them.  FYI, OS6 also does this.

Message 4 of 29
bc732
Tutor

Nice!  Thanks a lot.

Edit: and a warning for others.  This version of Samba needs more memory, so you probably shouldn't try it without a memory upgrade.

Message 5 of 29
Clocked
Guide

Great info!  I have been running 512MB for years with this so I think I am good to go on trying this out.

I have SSH enabled and can use WinSCP to connect and run a terminal, but I am not a programmer and only know basic Linux.  Can you give any more detail in regards to the comment by Sandshark in regards to the /etc/samba/smb.conf and the "include = /etc/frontview/samba/addons/addons.conf" specifics?

I am willing to try this only because I just bought & configured a new NAS and my ReadyNAS is sitting on the shelf.  I would really like to resurect it!

Message 6 of 29
bc732
Tutor

Awesome.  I love putting old gear to work.

I haven't even messed with smb.conf any more, since it's all working fine. 

The only thing I have added so far is the line "min protocol = smb2" under "[global]"

What we were talking about, was that technically it is possible for the web interface to overwrite the "/etc/samba/smb.conf" file.  I haven't had it happen so far, but it could.  So, if you wanted to avoid that, you could put the config you want to add into that "/etc/frontview/samba/addons/addons.conf" file instead.

If you try it with 512MB you might want to start a file transfer and check free memory (cat /proc/meminfo) and the logs (dmesg.)  When I did it with 256MB Samba was repeatedly running out of memory and crashing.  The files still transferred but it was extremely slow.

Message 7 of 29
technophobia
Aspirant

I run through this but it removed my admin user and now i can't access frontview.  Is there any way for me to resetup the admin user?

I did useradd admin and groupadd admin, then added admin to the admin group

Message 8 of 29
Sandshark
Sensei

My recollection is that smb.conf gets over-written if you create or change protocols on a share.  But it's been a long time since I ran a 4.x NAS except for my one "sandbox" system and a VM, and those are 4.2.x, not 4.1.x.

Message 9 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@technophobia wrote:

I run through this but it removed my admin user and now i can't access frontview.  Is there any way for me to resetup the admin user?

That is very weird - not sure how changing smb.conf could possibly have that effect.

You could try doing an OS reinstall.  That would also change the admin password back to netgear1

Message 10 of 29
kozina
Aspirant

I tried this one on ReadyNAS NV+ and unfortunatelly without achieving desired result. Windows still says that the device uses insecure SMB protocol.
Is there any way how to troubleshoot?

Please disregard this message. It Works!!! Kudos to you!

Message 11 of 29
sonvolt99
Star

Looking to do this update have updated  memory , but cant find apt add-on  to load for this  system.

Anyone  can share a link 

Thanks

Message 12 of 29
Clocked
Guide

Message 13 of 29
Clocked
Guide

Message 14 of 29
sonvolt99
Star

Thanks for the prompt response , got and installed  will perform upgrade tomorrow 

Message 15 of 29
sonvolt99
Star

hi, didn't get very far with install , and i'm new to Linux but have built a couple of raspberry Pi's.  Have downloaded the packages.gz file and placed it in root but get the following error   any advise or pointer appreciated .

Failed to fetch http://www.readynas.com/packages/4.1.16/Packages.gz 301 Moved P ermanently [IP: 13.224.228.89 80]
Reading Package Lists... Done
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
MUSICNAS:~# apt-get install --reinstall grep perl perl-modules
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Reinstallation of perl is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
Reinstallation of perl-modules is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
The following packages will be upgraded:
grep
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 69 not upgraded.
Need to get 171kB of archives.
After unpacking 16.4kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.debian.org sarge/main grep 2.5.1.ds1-4 [171kB]
Fetched 171kB in 0s (515kB/s)
(Reading database ... 10334 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace grep 2.4.2-3 (using .../grep_2.5.1.ds1-4_sparc.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement grep ...
Setting up grep (2.5.1.ds1-4) ...
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://www.readynas.com 4.1.16/ Packages (/ var/lib/apt/lists/www.readynas.com_packages_4.1.16_Packages) - stat (2 No such f ile or directory)

Message 16 of 29
Clocked
Guide

The "apt-get update" will fail if you don't remove netgear sources line from /etc/apt/sources.list.
(remove or comment out "deb http://www.readynas.com/packages 4.1.16/ ").

The next issue you may run into is receiving this message:

nas-xx-xx-xx:~# smbpasswd
Ignoring unknown parameter "reverse sendfile"
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to find entry for user root.

Review the "smbpasswd" command and look up :

"Access Denied when you access an SMB file share in Windows"

Sorry I can't remember how I got around this now.  I am not linux & software savy.

Maybe someone else will offer assistance here if you have trouble.

BTW, I would recommend that you think twice about doing this with your existing NAS disks.  I removed my disks, loaded a scratch disk, and configured it as if it were new and played with that until I was confident that I could apply the changes without klobbering something that was important.

Message 17 of 29
sonvolt99
Star

Thanks ,  I got past first part  but stops on perl reinstall  saying can't be downloaded , 

A perl -v  shows   system is running  "This is perl, v5.8.8 built for sparc-linux  .."

So do I need to reinstall , the github link posteD shows 2..8.8-7  and if i need to what do I try next  , download 2.8.8.7 or just continue , help appreciated.  I have built a replacement NAS , so inconvenient if data lost but not critical , looking to use duo as "another backup" of my data. 

Thanks again   "clocked"

Message 18 of 29
Clocked
Guide

Looking back at my log file that I saved, It complained about perl too.  Note that I did this back in June 2020, so I am not very clear on remembering what the particulars were.  I too have moved on to another NAS and this one sits on the shelf unused for when I have more time to tinker with it.  If it helps I can attach my log file for you to compare, but I'm afraid I can't help beyond that.  Maybe you can PM bc732.

Using username "root".
Linux nas-XX-XX-XX2.6.17.14ReadyNAS #1 Wed Jun 20 20:08:20 PDT 2012 padre unknown
nas-XX-XX-XX:~# apt-get update
Get:1 http://archive.debian.org sarge/main Packages [4405kB]
Get:2 http://archive.debian.org sarge/main Release [99B]
Get:3 http://archive.debian.org sarge/contrib Packages [62.7kB]
Get:4 http://archive.debian.org sarge/contrib Release [102B]
Get:5 http://archive.debian.org sarge/non-free Packages [53.2kB]
Get:6 http://archive.debian.org sarge/non-free Release [103B]
Fetched 4522kB in 9s (501kB/s)
nas-XX-XX-XX:~# apt-get install grep --reinstall
The following packages will be upgraded:
  grep
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 69 not upgraded.
Need to get 171kB of archives.
After unpacking 16.4kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.debian.org sarge/main grep 2.5.1.ds1-4 [171kB]
Fetched 171kB in 0s (271kB/s)
(Reading database ... 10347 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace grep 2.4.2-3 (using .../grep_2.5.1.ds1-4_sparc.deb) ...
nas-XX-XX-XX:~# apt-get install --reinstall grep perl perl-modules
Reinstallation of perl is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
Reinstallation of perl-modules is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 69 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/171kB of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 10348 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace grep 2.5.1.ds1-4 (using .../grep_2.5.1.ds1-4_sparc.deb) ...
nas-XX-XX-XX:~# apt-get remove samba-common libwbclient0
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libwbclient0 samba samba-common samba-common-bin smbclient smbfs winbind
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 7 to remove and 69 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 95.8MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 10348 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing samba-common-bin ...
Removing smbclient ...
Removing winbind ...
Removing samba ...
Removing libwbclient0 ...
Removing smbfs ...
Removing samba-common ...
nas-XX-XX-XX:~# mkdir /run
nas-XX-XX-XX:~# mkdir /run/samba
nas-XX-XX-XX:~# mkdir /var/lib/samba/private
nas-XX-XX-XX:~# dpkg -i samba_4.1.17-1_sparc.deb
Selecting previously deselected package samba.
(Reading database ... 10207 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking samba (from samba_4.1.17-1_sparc.deb) ...
Setting up samba (4.1.17-1) ...
nas-XX-XX-XX:~# smbpasswd
Ignoring unknown parameter "reverse sendfile"
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to find entry for user root.

Message 19 of 29
sonvolt99
Star

Interesting thats helpful for what to look out for  , investigating further , i've  ran dpkg -l   to list all installed modules and   perl  is listed as 2.8.8-7 as per the latest on the link you posted  so been unanle to reinstall seems a non-issue ,  will check others later maybe progess by updating what needs to be done individually .

Message 20 of 29
sonvolt99
Star

added  min protocol smb 2 to addons.conf ,   A  Get-SmbConnections command shows drive map connected  on 2.0.2  ,   appears to be working fine , so will leave at this since aim was just to stop using SMB1 may complete the upgrade at a later date  , will post if i do. 

Thanks again clocked  

Message 21 of 29
sonvolt99
Star

My new UNRAID NAS has been running for a month with no issues so time to look at backing up my new NAS to the old Netgear , I factory reset it and performed the update. For anyone  else looking to try it , note the following   I didn't get the change SMB password issue that occurred for  clocked , no error messages at all   apart from the perl issue/non issue .    Netgear Frontview application still shows as firmware 4.1.16   , but uname from command line  shows 4.1.17.   

I do not have min protocol   SMB2  in config file as  windows uses highest protocol available and my mapped drive  shows as SMB3 under powershell command Get SmbConnection.   All seems to be okay so time to play with RSYNC now.

Message 22 of 29
mfe-
Tutor

Wow amazing Work! Thanks @bc732 

Would you like to share the binary.deb or the configure scripts on github.com / ReadyNASDuoSparc  ? 

There are still readynas duo v1 users out there, amazing!

Message 23 of 29
potew
Aspirant

After some bit trial and error (had to learn editing files in Vi lol) I also made it work and finally could close SMB v1.0 support on my Win10 machine. Many thanks to the OP on this thread! After upgrading my x-raided Sparc to 1Gb RAM + 2Tb everything seems to be working smoothly (sorry, Netgear, things have been overly expensive these times!).

A remark I think it's worth is that I couldn't connect to my shares without enabling guest logins in Gpedit.msc (which is kinda unsafe but wouldnt't make such a difference in my home network). This is disabled by default on W10 (as in previous versions I was able to connect normally even with SMBv3). I tried to connect with the same user that I created through the frontview panel in the NAS but without success, so it tries to connect with my MS account and fallback to the guest one, so it connects as long as I disable this security checkSMBv3.png. If any experienced Windows user did make it work, I would appreciate how it was done!

Message 24 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@potew wrote:

I tried to connect with the same user that I created through the frontview panel in the NAS but without success, so it tries to connect with my MS account and fallback to the guest one, so it connects as long as I disable this security check. If any experienced Windows user did make it work, I would appreciate how it was done!

Have you tried this test?  Open CMD on the PC and enter

net use * /delete /y
net use z: \\nas-ip-address\sharename /user:username userpassword

using the real NAS ip address and sharename of course, and the username and password you created for the account in frontview.

The first command closes out any open SMB sessions, the second maps the share to drive letter z.

Message 25 of 29
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 21 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements