× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should I just trash my Duo Ultra RNDU2000-100NAS?

flinky
Guide

Should I just trash my Duo Ultra RNDU2000-100NAS?

At some point I find it not worthwhile to work with equipment that takes too much time to maintain. 

It's unfortunate that (1) the device will not do SMB2 making it a PITA to work with Windows 10 and 11. Now I know you can turn off the security but that's not a great feeling. Still, even with it working that way, (2) I have all sorts of problems such as being unable to write to the device and connection will no longer use https. It's just a PITA to fix and deal with every time something goes wrong. I have two of them and my regret is that they are metal, solid, still a great looking and solid case but just too much of a pain for a drive that does nothing more than read, write and stream video as and when needed.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Should I just trash my Duo Ultra RNDU2000-100NAS?

@flinky wrote:

At some point I find it not worthwhile to work with equipment that takes too much time to maintain. 

It's unfortunate that (1) the device will not do SMB2 making it a PITA to work with Windows 10 and 11.

FWIW, its not difficult to convert the Ultra to OS-6, which supports SMB 3 (and TLS 1.2).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@flinky wrote:

It's unfortunate that (1) the device will not do SMB2 making it a PITA to work with Windows 10 and 11.

FWIW, its not difficult to convert the Ultra to OS-6, which supports SMB 3 (and TLS 1.2).

Message 2 of 4
flinky
Guide

Much appreciated. I see that they have not made it easy at all for what should have been simple and done, do at your own risk. Considering this is all I need - the simplest requirements of OS 6, it is a great relief to know this is possible. There was otherwise no good reason to dispose of what have been truly terrific devices that were built in the days when these devices were built to last.

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

OS6 is based on an entirely different disk structure, larger OS partition, and many other things completely incompatible as s simple update from OS4.2.x.  So, the existing upgrade procedure is as simple as it could ever be.

Netgear has clearly made OS6 fully compatible with legacy hardware.  By that, I mean there is specific content in it that supports it.  It doesn't "just happen to work".  They have obviously made a choice to make a "sideways' release via unofficial channels instead of releasing it directly (most likely at some cost to the user) and providing support.  One reason may be that they just don't know if there will be a time when an OS6 update can no longer support legacy hardware.  Even at this point, it doesn't support it well with just the base 1GB of RAM, and that could be an issue if it were officially released and required support.

Given the great support available in this forum, I have no issue with their decision.  If you think otherwise, then feel free to trash that NAS in my direction.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements