× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Subsconic 4.7.04 is a disaster on NVX

claykin
Aspirant

Subsconic 4.7.04 is a disaster on NVX

Been trying to get Subsonic to work on an NVX.

NVX originally had 4.2.20 on it. Installed Subsonic but web GUI would not launch. Checked \webroot\subsonic folder and found Java and other folders did not load on addon install. Tried removing addon, reinstalling to no avail.

Upgraded NVX to 4.2.21 and had same problem. Next upgraded to 4.2.23-T6 and same problem.

NO other addons on this NAS. Few services running. its basically been a CIFS file server. Checked filesystem and quotas and all good. Using approved disks.

Only way to get Java to load is to first install Subsonic 2.0 then upgrade to 4.7.04. Problem is that its obvious that Subsonic does not properly update itself and it crashes constantly. I can tell because the version of JRE is OLD.

So, what is the fix? I can see by searching the forum that I'm not the only one experiencing Subsonic crashing. Creating a CRON job to check the service is not the answer. If this addon installed properly, it likely would work!

Advice?
Message 1 of 13
claykin
Aspirant

V2.0.0 of subsonic installs properly (all folders including JRE) but this also crashes within a few hours of use. Can someone figure out what is wrong with this addon?
Message 2 of 13
super_poussin
Virtuoso

The crash is an old problem, no solution found for the moment , how many songs do you have on the NAS ?
Message 3 of 13
claykin
Aspirant

super-poussin wrote:
The crash is an old problem, no solution found for the moment , how many songs do you have on the NAS ?

2300 songs. under 12GB of data.

How do we work around this crash?

Any idea why 4.7.03 and/or 4.7.04 won't install properly? Only part of addon installs, no JRE folder and a couple other folders never appear in directory. Happens on more than one NVX.
Message 4 of 13
gibxxi
Guide

You can download the latest release from Subsonic.org and simply replace your existing subsonic.jar and subsonic.war files in the webroot folder with those from the latest release. Don't overwrite your settings file though. Also, the service needs to be disabled when you overwrite the files.

I logged into the NAS via explorer using the IP address of the NAS rather than the host-name (to be able to specify alternative credentials) and used the admin login as the credentials. replaced the two files, then restarted the service. Mind you, I've not experienced the crashing recently that many others have, with any of the 4.x.x versions. I did increase the max memory to 1GB though from the default. I have 20,000 songs listed on there and multiple users. SSL is also enabled.

EDIT: You can also do a similar trick to update the version of Java used by Subsonic, but you will need the embedded headless x86 JRE from Oracle which can only be obtained by registering on their site. After putting the new JRE in the Webroot/Subsonic folder where the old one exists, I updated the "path to java" in the add-on config file. Now I'm running Subsonic 4.8 on Java 1.7.0 Update 21.
Message 5 of 13
claykin
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip. I'll surely implement your solution if this fixes Subsonic. Right now its useless without a cronjob to make sure the service is running.

Maybe @super-Poussin should check this out.
Message 6 of 13
gibxxi
Guide

You might also want to turn on "Fast Access Mode" if it isn't already. I have a suspicion that files that are open / locked may cause issues when Subsonic scans them for info, and the fact that Subsonic is constantly scanning your music folder(s) if fast access mode is off may cause a permanent increase in memory usage, rather than a temporary hike you'd get with scanning at set intervals. I set mine to only update the library once per day at midnight. If I make any changes at other times I want to see reflected straight away, I do a manual refresh.

What makes me think Subsonic updates on the fly with Fast Access mode off is this note in the setting's explanation: "Note: Changes to files will only be visible after your media folders are scanned."
Message 7 of 13
greee
Aspirant

@jibbix
Can you explain how you have installed Java please ?
I have downloaded ejre-7u21-fcs-b11-linux-i586-headless-04_apr_2013.tar.gz file from Oracle website
put it in subsonic directory and do a "tar -xvzf"
but it doesn't seems enough

Thanks a lot
Message 8 of 13
gibxxi
Guide

Just untar the file using winzip or some other program in windows, then SSH into the NAS or use an FTP app that supports SFTP over SSH (SmartFTP for example) and copy your jre folder into the webroot/subsonic folder. Then you'll need to edit the path to java in the subsonic.sh file to update the path from the old version to the new one. You can copy the folder via windows explorer as by default that folder is visible, YMMV on whether you get permissions issues doing it this way. You will still need to chmod the folder and JRE files it contains afterwards though.

You will need to ensure that the new jre folder is owned by the user that runs subsonic on the NAS, and also adjust permissions for the folder to 755 recursively, otherwise the service will start, but not the JRE it relies on to run.

SmartFTP also contains a terminal client that acts the same as PuTTy, so everything is in the same app. It's not free tho.

The command to alter when editing the subsonic.sh file is this one:

/c/webroot/subsonic/jre1.6.0_20/bin/java -Xmx${SUBSONIC_MAX_MEMORY}m \

I commented out the old line of code with a "#" character at the beginning of the line and added a new line below as follows:

/c/webroot/subsonic/ejre1.7.0_21/bin/java -Xmx${SUBSONIC_MAX_MEMORY}m \

It works perfectly.
Message 9 of 13
gibxxi
Guide

You could also use the "EJRE Installer" add-on that floating around somewhere (try a search or google it) and simply change the path to the destination folder where the EJRE Installer places the java folder. I don't need java as a system-wide addition, so it kept it local to the Subsonic webroot folder.
Message 10 of 13
Nosmo_King
Aspirant

@gibxxi

I've upgraded Subsonic to v5.3 (build 4568 – October 24, 2015) on my ReadyNas NVX (with latest and final 4.2.28 firmware) and I'm trying to update the JRE installed a part of the previous Subsonic 4.7b3.  I fould the EJRE installer as you suggested and followed the directions.  I now have EJRE version ejdk1.8.0_65 installed (according to RAIDiator) but I don't know where it got put - assuming root somewhere but I can't find it.  You suggested "simply change the path to the destination folder where the EJRE Installer places the java folder."  How would I make that change (so EJRE installs inside the webroot/subsonic folder)?  Alternatively, can I delete the jre1.6.0_20 folder and point subsonic to the new jre1.8.0_65?  How would I configure that?

Appreciate any help you can provide (2 years after the last post).  Thanks

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

entering "which java" should show you where it is.

Message 12 of 13
gibxxi
Guide

Assuming the command that StephenB mentioned, returns the Java Addon as being available systemwide, you may not need to alter anything at all.

If not, the setting for Java can be patched in manually to the 'subsonic.sh' file which will be in-folder with the subsonic.war file and the other files for Subsonic. The code your looking for is near the top of the file, and looks like this:

# Use JAVA_HOME if set, otherwise assume java is in the path.
JAVA=java
if [ -e "${JAVA_HOME}" ]
    then
    JAVA=${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java
fi

Assuming Subsonic starts OK with your JRE addon installed, go to the 'About' Section of the GUI to verify what version of Java, Subsonic is running under. If it still references the old version (or Subsonic fails to start), you may need to change the JAVA=java option and substitute it for the absolute path to the installed Java binary. So;

JAVA=<Absolute PATH to java binary here>

Sorry, I can't help much more than this, due to my general lack of Linux knowledge, and the fact that the primary NAS I now have Subsonic installed on is no longer a Netgear ReadyNAS.

Best of luck.

Gib.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements