× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Syncronizing keeps on forever.

JPHey
Guide

Syncronizing keeps on forever.

Volume data is syncing. 32,4% complete. 

Stays "stuck" at this percentage for the second day.

RN 212 , two disks, health excellent,  firmware 6.10.3 

Please advise

JPHey

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Syncronizing keeps on forever.

@JPHey wrote:

A possible "overflow" of data on the NAS seems to have trigged the alerts and possibly initiated the resyncronizing. On the log zip file I find a message stating that "Volume less than 10% of capacity" with instructions to add or reduce. I have now deleted old files not important and now 45% of the volume is free.

If the data volume gets too full, the system will automatically start deleting snapshots.  However, that shouldn't trigger a resync, so there is  mystery here.

@JPHey wrote:

While only 34% was resyncronized two days ago, this morning 82% is syncronized. I hope it speeds up and that the NAS again works okay with full performance and adm.responsiveness regained.

It should.  Though you should probably run balance from the volume settings wheel.  That will reduce performance while it are running, but I think it would be a good idea to run it.  The longer it takes, the more it is needed.  You might want to schedule the maintenance functions to run periodically (I run each every three months on a staggered schedule).

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Do you know why it is resyncing?  Is this a new install?

What disk models are you using?

Have you downloaded the log zip file and looked for errors?

Message 2 of 9
JPHey
Guide

Thanks for responding swiftly.

No, i do NOT know why it is resyncing....

My two discs are both WDC . WD2 OEFRX (SATA  2TB), both healthy and active, it seems.

I find no error in the log,  except "alert message failed to send".

The NAS works very very slow indeed, takes forever to log in adm., and seems more or less stuck-

I enclose the system logs

Thanks,

JPHey

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Just guessing, but it might have been a power interruption or unclean shutdown, since there is no shutdown message at 12 pm, just the startup.

FWIW, you'll find a lot more information if you download the log zip file.

Message 4 of 9
JPHey
Guide

You may be on the right track.

The log file informs that the sending of system alerts have failed. (error code 500801001). The email alert contact set up had ceased to work and is now replaced with a gmail account, now tested. 

A possible "overflow" of data on the NAS seems to have trigged the alerts and possibly initiated the resyncronizing. On the log zip file I find a message stating that "Volume less than 10% of capacity" with instructions to add or reduce. I have now deleted old files not important and now 45% of the volume is free.

While only 34% was resyncronized two days ago, this morning 82% is syncronized. I hope it speeds up and that the NAS again works okay with full performance and adm.responsiveness regained.

Does this make sense to you?

Thanks,

Message 5 of 9
JPHey
Guide

Additional info

I made a second diagnosis and found that

"Volume 1 is inactive" , however  "No errors found" 

Contradictive?

Please find enclosed in PDF  the diagnostics "pop up" 

JP

Message 6 of 9
JPHey
Guide

After restart

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@JPHey wrote:

If the data volume gets too full, the system will automatically start deleting snapshots.  However, that shouldn't trigger a resync, so there is  mystery here.

@JPHey wrote:

It should.  Though you should probably run balance from the volume settings wheel.  That will reduce performance while it are running, but I think it would be a good idea to run it.  The longer it takes, the more it is needed.  You might want to schedule the maintenance functions to run periodically (I run each every three months on a staggered schedule).

Message 8 of 9
JPHey
Guide

Thanks again. Syncronization now is finally completed.

I did then, as suggested; ran the "balance" from the volume setting wheel, a rather fast process for once.

Mystery not solved, however my NAS now seems to run as expected.  😉

Thanks for listening and giving a hand.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements