× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Transmission 2.84 for x86 (ReadyNAS Ultra 2) + use VPN?

ChunkySocks
Guide

Transmission 2.84 for x86 (ReadyNAS Ultra 2) + use VPN?

I tried some time ago to get Transmission working on my ReadyNAS but for one reason or another it didn't work and I wasn't able to spend the time and effort to troubleshoot it. Fast-forward to the present day and, on a whim, I did a fresh install of the last available version for x86 from this thread:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=24272

which is version 2.82 without amending any settings in the json file, copied one downloaded file across from my laptop and then opened the corresponding torrent file from the web interface; it checked the data and then appeared to start seeding fine.

Before I move everything off my laptop and start using the ReadyNAS to download / seed which is ideally what I want to do:

• I use Transmission 2.84 on my laptop, is it possible to get 2.84 for my x86 ReadyNAS?

• how do I configure (or can someone direct me to any guides) Transmission on the ReadyNAS to connect using the VPN (Private Internet Access [PIA]) that I use on my laptop?

• is it possible to group torrents by tracker, ideally automatically like you can using the desktop app when you add torrent files?*

Thanks in advance for any help.

*I can do a workaround whereby I create separate sub-folders for each tracker in the BitTorrent folder and then Right-Click > Set Location... for the torrent file in the web interface.
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Transmission 2.84 for x86 (ReadyNAS Ultra 2) + use VPN?

Go to super-poussin's Dropbox and look in the x86-4.2 directory: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=70914

There is a 2.84 add-on in there.

As for running a VPN client, is there a Linux client for what you want to use? This might be quite difficult to setup if it is possible.
Message 2 of 4
ChunkySocks
Guide

Many thanks for your reply - have grabbed & installed 2.84 from super-poussin's Dropbox; all good.

Re: using VPN - my understanding may be a bit basic but in order to use the VPN on my laptop, I had to install application for Private Internet Access so I'm thinking that something similar to an add-on would have to be written for the ReadyNAS in order for it to use it? In the json file for Transmission, I saw some parameters to use a proxy with authentication but am unsure if that related to making Transmission on the ReadyNAS use a VPN.
Message 3 of 4
aVex
Aspirant

Hoping to resurrect this thread.
Anyone got this to work on a ReadyNAS Ultra 4? Tried to upgrade to v2.84 and now it's failing to start, clean install of the older versions are not working either.
There must be something I'm missing.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements