× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Transmission - Can I use it to upload/seed?

MysteryMan1
Aspirant

Transmission - Can I use it to upload/seed?

I have been using Transmission for a while now, to download torrent, and it works just fine.

Now, I would like to upload/seed some video files I have on my hard disk to the www.TheBox.bz site. I have followed instructions and can use Vuze to create a .torrent file and then to start seeding. However, this means I need to have the PC left on for this to work and it would be ideal to put the files on the NAS and get it to do the seeding.

Using Vuze to start it off involved quite a lot of actions that do not appear to be availble in the Transmission interface on the ReadyNAS and wonderedf if there is there any way to do this.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
sdouek
Guide

I believe what you are looking for is in the installed add ons underneath services in frontview.

Go to Transmission add-on and click create torrent.
make sure you use the proper tracker url.

This should work it works for me.

Having problems with demoniod.
Message 2 of 7
MysteryMan1
Aspirant

sdouek wrote:
I believe what you are looking for is in the installed add ons underneath services in frontview.

Go to Transmission add-on and click create torrent.
make sure you use the proper tracker url.

This should work it works for me.

Having problems with demoniod.

Thanks - will give it a try later!!!!
Message 3 of 7
sdouek
Guide

(Substitute demoniod values for whatever tracker you are using not trying to insult you just trying to be thorough)

I have port forwarding set up to nas box running transmission - port 51413 both TCP and UDP.

I am using a NV+ Unit.

I stopped the transmission addon.

I edited the /c/addons-config/transmission/transmission-daemon/settings.json this is the file it says in the installed add ons to edit. (either use notepad++, do not use notepad it will screw up the settings or shh into the box and use nano or vi to edit)

I found "watch-dir": "/c/media/BitTorrent/sources/" and changed "watch-dir-enabled": 1

Restarted Transmissions

I went to demoniod followed there instructions including putting there text file in the directory I wanted to seed.

I used the https://"my nas ip address/ctransmission/ to create the torrent on my NAS Box
Torrent Name: nemsgifs
Directory or File: /c/media/BitTorrent/gif/
Tracker URL: http://inferno.demonoid.com:3400/announce
Private Torrent: No
Then I clicked - Create Torrent

Finished uploading .torrent file created by transmission to demoniod.

Opened up http://"my nas ip addrerss":8181/transmission/web/ and torrent was there but was listed in the downloading tab. I got the message torrent not there in the tracker announce so I paused it for 3 minutes as instructed by demoniod. Resumed and I was listed in the tracker window of transmission.

To check I went to another box ran bitTorent and downloaded the .torrent file from demoniod and became a leacher.
Message 4 of 7
magnus98
Aspirant

I'm trying to use Transmission to upload a torrent but when I fill out the form on the create page and hit submit then it downloads a PHP file to my computer. I assume that what this should be doing is creating a .torrent file for me but instead all I get is a downloaded PHP file.

Is there something else that I need to install on my ReadyNas in order to make this work? Thanks.
Message 5 of 7
JarnoG
Guide

If you get a php file, then that file was probably intended to run on your nas. Do you have one of the php add-ons, like this one, installed?
Message 6 of 7
magnus98
Aspirant

JarnoG wrote:
If you get a php file, then that file was probably intended to run on your nas. Do you have one of the php add-ons, like this one, installed?

Thanks, that got things working for me.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements