× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB Recovery 4.2 Fails to start

madigan91
Aspirant

USB Recovery 4.2 Fails to start

Basically received the drive from my workplace due to it's age and was no longer suitable for use.

Had it working without hitches and was functioning 100%. When I received it, it was on 4.2.9. I attempted the upgrade offline using the 4.2.31 upgrade and it verified OK and then restart and stopped working. It sat on booting for in excess 8 hours (left it overnight) and came back to still Booting...

I done a hard-shutdown and entered the Boot Menu to do an Operating System Install - sat on booting - never progressed. Tried the other options - all done the same thing. Sat on Booting...

Clearly something went wrong. I've browsed the forums a fair bit and can't really see anything that will help me. Tried booting into Technical Support mode - nothing.

I've taken the hard-drives and everything out but still no go.

I'm at the stage of trying to perform a USB Recovery install - however running into more issues even getting the application to run. As these legacy devices were probably well past support when Win10 was even thought of it doesn't run. I've installed a 32-bit Win7 virtual machine to see if that will run and same error. Is anyone able to provide advise on how to run the application?

I've also tried to putty into the serial, but can't seem to find the correct pinout on the nas end.. I have a USB to FTD1232 for arduino programming, so can easily identify RX, TX Ground and 5v (or should I use 3v3)

Any help will be taken on board and appreciated. 

Model: RNDX4410|ReadyNAS NVX 4TB (4 x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
madigan91
Aspirant

Re: USB Recovery 4.2 Fails to start

I don't bloody believe it... I made a post last night (Australia) and it has been deleted. I didn't give up as I knew that it was still functioning and just been a basic pain in the backside. 

For reference - the error that I was receiving when attempting to create a USB Recovery with 4.2 USB Recovery tool related to the side-by-side configuration. In event viewer it was referencing the lack of VC80 and referencing x86 which is standard speak for a 32-bit application. VC80 being installed via the 2005 x86 Visual C++ redistribution. I installed pretty much every single one that I could find on the windows site none of which worked. I came back to my computer tonight to find that it may have been awaiting a restart to complete the install and the USB recovery was then functional. I may be lucky as the only USB flash drive I have is a 32GB SanDisk Ultra 3.0, so definitely nothing overly old and it worked first go with the USB Boot, holding the backup button during power on with the recovery drive in the front USB slot. 

There was no front panel indication that it was doing anything, however lack of front panel meant it was doing something as I didn't receive the standard booting... 

All in all, the issues related back to a misshap in the upgrade process and new computers not being 100% supportable out of the box with very old software.

Thanks Stephen for all the advice as the links did assist me greatly, especially about re-re-rereading how the USB Recovery Software works.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@madigan91 wrote:

I've also tried to putty into the serial, but can't seem to find the correct pinout on the nas end.. I have a USB to FTD1232 for arduino programming, so can easily identify RX, TX Ground and 5v (or should I use 3v3)

https://gist.github.com/davewongillies/6481138 has some info on using the serial port.

@madigan91 wrote:

I'm at the stage of trying to perform a USB Recovery install - however running into more issues even getting the application to run. As these legacy devices were probably well past support when Win10 was even thought of it doesn't run. I've installed a 32-bit Win7 virtual machine to see if that will run and same error. Is anyone able to provide advise on how to run the application?

What errors are you getting?  Are you using the instructions here: https://kb.netgear.com/30267/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool

@madigan91 wrote:

I've taken the hard-drives and everything out but still no go.

Did you look at the status with RAIDar (with the drives removed)? https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

You should see "no disks" on the LCD display.  RAIDar should "see" the NAS, and also report a no-disks status.

Message 2 of 5
madigan91
Aspirant

Hi stephen,

I followed the github article you linked, however wasn't able to workout which pins do what on the NAS side. For your information I have the following Serial to USB adapter;
Serial to USB Adapter

The error that I receive when attempting to run the USB Recovery tool is attached as a picture. I looked up the error and wasn't able to make wind of it. Event viewer states the following;

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\RAIDiator 4.2 USB Flash Recovery (1)\usbrecovery\usbrecovery.exe". 
Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762" could not be found.
Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Looks like it is looking for a 32-bit processor - the same error appears in a Windows 7 32-bit Virtual Machine.

On the NAS itself I'm able to get to the Boot Menu, but selecting any boot option simply sits on Booting... there is nothing that appears in Raidar, not is the MAC address appearing on the switch that I use.

Message 3 of 5
madigan91
Aspirant

I don't bloody believe it... I made a post last night (Australia) and it has been deleted. I didn't give up as I knew that it was still functioning and just been a basic pain in the backside. 

For reference - the error that I was receiving when attempting to create a USB Recovery with 4.2 USB Recovery tool related to the side-by-side configuration. In event viewer it was referencing the lack of VC80 and referencing x86 which is standard speak for a 32-bit application. VC80 being installed via the 2005 x86 Visual C++ redistribution. I installed pretty much every single one that I could find on the windows site none of which worked. I came back to my computer tonight to find that it may have been awaiting a restart to complete the install and the USB recovery was then functional. I may be lucky as the only USB flash drive I have is a 32GB SanDisk Ultra 3.0, so definitely nothing overly old and it worked first go with the USB Boot, holding the backup button during power on with the recovery drive in the front USB slot. 

There was no front panel indication that it was doing anything, however lack of front panel meant it was doing something as I didn't receive the standard booting... 

All in all, the issues related back to a misshap in the upgrade process and new computers not being 100% supportable out of the box with very old software.

Thanks Stephen for all the advice as the links did assist me greatly, especially about re-re-rereading how the USB Recovery Software works.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@madigan91 wrote:

Looks like it is looking for a 32-bit processor - the same error appears in a Windows 7 32-bit Virtual Machine.

I don't think so.  It looks to me like it's looking for the VC80 redist.  You might look here (though no solution is posted): https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/250f36d1-7ff3-4ce0-9d15-519538048c16/activati...

@madigan91 wrote:

I followed the github article you linked, however wasn't able to workout which pins do what on the NAS side. For your information I have the following Serial to USB adapter;
Serial to USB Adapter

I'm not a hardware guy, so I don't think I can be of much help.  Perhaps @Sandshark?

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements