× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to backup Windows 10 to ReadyNAS Duo v1

njimroglou
Aspirant

Unable to backup Windows 10 to ReadyNAS Duo v1

I recently switched to Windows 10 and have been unable to configure my backup job from my ReadyNAS to access my new computer. When I had Windows 7 it worked fine. I simply entered the remote path IP address and my username and password. When I press test connection it would work just fine. However now with Windows 10 it will not work. I've tried created shared folders on my Windows 10 computer but can't seem to get it to work.

I am able to access my ReadyNAS from my Windows 10 computer just fine, so I'm considering using the backup option built into Windows 10. However, I'd prefer to use the backup option built into the ReadyNAS. Any help is much appreciated.

Model: RND2000v1 (ReadyNAS Duo v1)|READYNAS DUO v1 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Personally I favor running backups using PC tools.  I use Acronis TrueImage myself, but there are free alternatives like FreeFileSync. They can both be scheduled to run automatically.

Microsoft is deprecating SMB/CIFS version 1, and it is no longer installed by default in Windows 10.  The SMB 1 client likely is still installed/working in your PCs, but I think you'll find that the SMB/CIFS server is no longer is installed.  So go into "turn windows features on and off" in the PC ad check for that.

You might also find that you need to use the PC's IP address instead of it's hostname in the backup job.

Another possibility is that you might be using a Microsoft account login in the PC.  I don't think the Duo will accept an email-style username in a backup job (or as a user account).  If that's your situation, then it is definitely easier to switch to a PC backup tool.  

Message 2 of 6
njimroglou
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look into the Acronis TrueImage or FreeFileSync alternatives. I've already enabled all SMB 1 client and server options and that doesn't seem to resolve the issue either. Also, I'm using the IP address of the Windows 10 computer with the non-microsoft credentials.

It may just be that Windows 10 is no longer supported in which case I might look into the other alternatives you suggested. Thank you so much!

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

When the backup is initiated by the NAS, the Windows firewall (or other firewall if you have one installed) also comes into play.

Message 4 of 6
njimroglou
Aspirant

I disabled the public and private built in Windows firewall, but that didn't seem to resolve the issue either. Thanks for the suggestion!

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@njimroglou wrote:

I disabled the public and private built in Windows firewall, but that didn't seem to resolve the issue either. 

The network type in Windows should be set to private to enable sharing.

Of course the Windows 10 share you are backing up had to be recreated.  Both the file permissions in the share and the network access needs to allow the NAS to access the files with the credentials in the backup job.  You could test that access from another PC (using the same username/password that is in the backup job). 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements