× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What addon can stream 'mkv' file to PS3

Nemo7777
Aspirant

What addon can stream 'mkv' file to PS3

Hi there,
I can see a lot of add-ons for READYNAS DUO (RND), but can somebody tell me - which of them can really stream mkv video files to PS3? No matter is it will be freeware or shareware software, main idea is just real necessary possibility... because decoding video files to acceptable by PS3 avi files at my local PC, before streaming, is a long boring process.
Message 1 of 30
chirpa
Luminary

Re: What addon can stream 'mkv' file to PS3

Have you tried this one? viewtopic.php?f=76&t=27946
Message 2 of 30
Nemo7777
Aspirant

Hi there,
I have installed latest 'ReadyDLNA Standard Update Addon Package'... but i can't check does it work or not...
after installation I still have the same list of services... MKV-files still can't be stream...
Message 3 of 30
super_poussin
Virtuoso

in my case I use an eva9150 associated to Readynas and I'm a happy guy 🙂
Message 4 of 30
Nemo7777
Aspirant

Hi there,
what is eva9150, and how it can be use for PS3?
Message 5 of 30
Mike_Groves1
Aspirant

Nemo7777 wrote:
Hi there,
what is eva9150, and how it can be use for PS3?

Google gives it as a £300+ box....
Message 6 of 30
Nemo7777
Aspirant

no, thank you... I have asked about any software solution for DUO-PS3 streaming...
Message 7 of 30
Energo
Aspirant

As i know it is not possible to convert mkv on the fly. I never convert mkv files for my PS3 - mkv is container only so all you need is to put videos in another container without any conversion. I use TsMuxer and it puts 720p 1,5hrs mkv video in m2ts container in 2-3 min only.
After that you can stream m2ts using ReadyDLNA of your Duo.
Message 8 of 30
Nemo7777
Aspirant

But I know such servers for Windows...
In any case
Can I, by somehow, use this program on DUO? I mean install it and convert video there? Or I must do it at home PC?
Message 9 of 30
JackStuder
Aspirant

If it is a PC only application, you could always install windows inside a virtual machine using vmware fusion on your mac and do it from there.

otherwise, you can also look into buying a network media tank (aka popcorn hour - http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/) and forget about the PS3
Message 10 of 30
TeknoJnky
Hero

the duo (and nv/nv+) does not have the cpu power to do any type of dynamic transcoding, it will only stream the files as they are, it can't change or re encode them.

I don't know if the ps3 supports mkv files or not. If it does, then maybe something in the ready dlna server can serve those files, but if the ps3 does not then nothing that runs on the duo will be able to convert them to files the ps3 can play.

hope that helps explain
Message 11 of 30
huongalt
Aspirant

you could set up media tomb (some very basic scripts need to be written) on your pc and transcode on the fly to the PS3 using the NAS as a file source. alternatively you could use (from a bad memory) as program called ps3 that will do this on the fly and comes in both linux or windows flavor, or transcode the files before you store them on the NAS, there are a lot of tools out there for exactly this sort of work flow.
Message 12 of 30
Nemo7777
Aspirant

Hi there,
As I understand all these solutions will require for turned on PC? Am I correct?
because I looking for solution with only PS3+NAS... NAS can download and store video-files and as a next step, I can see them via NAS streaming service and PS3...
Thank you, but I know about media servers (software/hardware) which can be a good solution, but all of them require PC (as a pace where this server will work). Now I'm convert/transcode video to mpg via mkv2vob or txmuxer programs.
Message 13 of 30
huongalt
Aspirant

yep thats what i do, its seems to be the best solution
Message 14 of 30
nichhit25
Aspirant

Hi, folks, share my experience to you here. Personally, i use Pavtube MKV Converter to convert my MKV files for my PS3. It works beatifully, at least, satisfied me a lot, since it ensures video and audio matching very well.
Message 15 of 30
Nemo7777
Aspirant

But this is not a free-ware software, am I correct?
Message 16 of 30
brum
Aspirant

Nemo7777,

The Duo streams .mkv files to the PS3 without problems. The problem is, however, that the PS3 cannot read .mkv files. Since the Duo's CPU isn't fast enough to do real-time re-muxing or re-encoding, the short answer to your question is 'no'.

You need to either continue using mkv2vob first, or use a separate computer with some media server, until Sony releases .mkv support for the PS3.

Rgds,

brum
Message 17 of 30
chmmrt
Aspirant

I convert and burn to optical disc with multiavchd.

It's the only thing I've found that converts DTS to AC3 and deals with subs.

Sometimes you need to play around with the bit rate settings to get a avchd that will fit to 8152mb though
Message 18 of 30
brum
Aspirant

chmmrt wrote:

Sometimes you need to play around with the bit rate settings to get a avchd that will fit to 8152mb though

Why would one want to convert DTS to AC3 when it's not necessary? AC3 is inferior, and transcoding between two lossy formats further adds degradation to the sound. mkv2vob can burn the subtitles for you, but will preserve DTS a default (but can also transcode).

Rdgs,

brum
Message 19 of 30
chmmrt
Aspirant

brum wrote:
chmmrt wrote:

Why would one want to convert DTS to AC3 when it's not necessary? AC3 is inferior, and transcoding between two lossy formats further adds degradation to the sound. mkv2vob can burn the subtitles for you, but will preserve DTS a default (but can also transcode).

Rdgs,

brum

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/683259
Message 20 of 30
fdullemond
Aspirant

PS3 media server (http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/) transcodes anything that the PS3 does not understand... mkv,iso, video_ts, etc....
Message 21 of 30
brinks315
Aspirant

do u need convert first
Message 22 of 30
fdullemond
Aspirant

nope, happens all on the fly..... that's the beauty of the tool...
Message 23 of 30
BFG
Aspirant
Aspirant

fdullemond wrote:
PS3 media server (http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/) transcodes anything that the PS3 does not understand... mkv,iso, video_ts, etc....

Seconded. That is one powerful tool. All my video woes went away when I installed that on my Ubuntu PC and pointed it at the video share on the Readynas. Everything now just works.

I haven't yet tried running it on the Readynas itself. Anyone tried? Does the processor / RAM perform?
Message 24 of 30
fdullemond
Aspirant

Unfortunately, PS3 media center does not run on a readynas (NV+ & DUO). Prerequisites and missing CPU power are the main problems.
(I am not sure about NVX & PRO.... I guess prereqs will be the problem here.)

Of course its not convenient to run a separate program on yet another PC for trans-coding unsupported video formats, but that is just a minor inconvenience I gladly choose over active re-encoding files in batch runs.
Message 25 of 30
Discussion stats
Announcements