× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

can't access ReadyNas Pro 6 because it's still using SMBv1

Munber54
Aspirant

can't access ReadyNas Pro 6 because it's still using SMBv1

Hi. I accidentally posted this in the wrong area and I tried to delete the post but I got a message saying it's too late to delet it...Anyway, my problem is that I have 2 ReadyNas Pro 6. but I can't access them because they are still using SMBv1. Looks like my model number is ReadyNASRNDP6000v2. When i open RAIDar and click on "about" it says my RAIDar version is 4.3.0, although when i open the RAIDar window, on the far right of both of the listed ReadyNas Pro 6 there is a number that says 4.2.28...and i took a screenshot of when i was installing it, and the screenshot says Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.22. So my question is, is it easy to upgrade the software so ReadyNas Pro 6 is using the SMBv2? Would upgrading the RAIDar software do that or do i have to somehow upgrade software on each of my two ReadyNas Pro 6, and should i back up all the files before doing that? I'd need to buy more hard drives to back up the files, then from doing a bit of reading i see that to backup all the files, first I would  need to allow windows 10 to use the SMBv1 version so i could access the files. thanks for any ideas or links to information.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: can't access ReadyNas Pro 6 because it's still using SMBv1

RAIDar is just a program that runs on your PC to help you access the NAS.  The OS for your NAS is called RAIDiator, and the last version is 4.2.31.  That still uses SMB1, and there will be no further updates.

If you are running Windows, then you can (at least for now) turn on SMB1 under "Turn Windows features off and on".  I'm not a Mac user, but I understand that's not an option in the most recent OS upgrades for them.

Your NAS can be converted to run the current ReadyNASOS, which is OS6 (6.9.6 is the long term support version and 6.10.3 the most current), and is what any new ReadyNAS you purchase will be running.  It is not officially supported, and conversion will cause Netgear to deny you support, even paid.  But many in this forum (myself included) have converted their NAS, so there is lots of help available here.

In addition to running a more up to date Linux core with SMB3 support and much more, there are many new features of OS6.  Another big plus is that if your NAS does finally quit on you (it's getting pretty old, after all), you can just move the drives from a legacy NAS running OS6 to a new model that runs it.

But that means that if you want to convert your NAS, you are going to have to make sure you offload the data (to a backup you really should have, anyway) now and restopre after the conversion because OS6 requires a different file system and you cannot simply migrate the drives from OS4.2.x to 6.x.

It is recommended that you upgrade your RAM to at least 2GB, since that's what all Intel based native OS6 ReadyNAS have, so Netgear is not making sure it will run on the 1GB that's standard on a Pro6.  Some have reported problems with only 1GB on more recent versions.  It's also recommended you make sure your NAS is running the latest BIOS.  It's not really necessary unless you plan to update the processor, but it's a lot easier to do under OS4.2.x.

If you do want to upgrade to OS6, see this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-Pro-6-won-t-boot-after-fai... .

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

RAIDar is just a program that runs on your PC to help you access the NAS.  The OS for your NAS is called RAIDiator, and the last version is 4.2.31.  That still uses SMB1, and there will be no further updates.

If you are running Windows, then you can (at least for now) turn on SMB1 under "Turn Windows features off and on".  I'm not a Mac user, but I understand that's not an option in the most recent OS upgrades for them.

Your NAS can be converted to run the current ReadyNASOS, which is OS6 (6.9.6 is the long term support version and 6.10.3 the most current), and is what any new ReadyNAS you purchase will be running.  It is not officially supported, and conversion will cause Netgear to deny you support, even paid.  But many in this forum (myself included) have converted their NAS, so there is lots of help available here.

In addition to running a more up to date Linux core with SMB3 support and much more, there are many new features of OS6.  Another big plus is that if your NAS does finally quit on you (it's getting pretty old, after all), you can just move the drives from a legacy NAS running OS6 to a new model that runs it.

But that means that if you want to convert your NAS, you are going to have to make sure you offload the data (to a backup you really should have, anyway) now and restopre after the conversion because OS6 requires a different file system and you cannot simply migrate the drives from OS4.2.x to 6.x.

It is recommended that you upgrade your RAM to at least 2GB, since that's what all Intel based native OS6 ReadyNAS have, so Netgear is not making sure it will run on the 1GB that's standard on a Pro6.  Some have reported problems with only 1GB on more recent versions.  It's also recommended you make sure your NAS is running the latest BIOS.  It's not really necessary unless you plan to update the processor, but it's a lot easier to do under OS4.2.x.

If you do want to upgrade to OS6, see this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-Pro-6-won-t-boot-after-fai... .

Message 2 of 4
Munber54
Aspirant

Thanks very much! That's a lot of helpful well organized information I can use. So as a first step, i better buy more hard drives to back up the files, which is kindof rough for me with my current financial situation...after that i will consider converting the NAS using your information...dissappointed that Netgear won't support the conversion...does not have me feeling good about the company

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

OS6 on a legacy system is a bit of a hybrid.  The main OS is changed, but the boot remains the same.  I suspect that Netgear chose not to officially support legacy conversion not only because they would then have so many more models to support, including this hybrid configuration, but also because they realized the time may come where keeping OS6 compatible with legacy hardware is not viable.  They didn't have to even make it compatible at all.

Besides, they are in the business of selling hardware, so keeping yours working indefinitely doesn't help their business model.  I want them to stay in the NAS business, so i don't fault them for doing what they need to do to assist that.  I don't believe they have a distribution system in place for selling the upgrade, so that wasn't really an option.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements