× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

eth0 goes on and off-line

NASty1
Aspirant

eth0 goes on and off-line

Every time the network printer turns on, I recieve an error message from my RN31440 NAS saying "System: Bond interface bond0 has slave interface eth0 offline."  It re-connects almost immediately, but I fear data loss if this occurs during transfers.  The APS this is connected to is the probable cause(I assume?) , as the printers "turning on" may be drawing on the UPS, but I fail to see why ONLY eth0, and not both interfaces in the "Bond0" are affected?  Any answers?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
NASty1
Aspirant

Re: eth0 goes on and off-line

Am using the two ethernet ports on the RN314 in bonded mode, using LACP (layer 2 & 3).  Both are connected directly to individual ports on a router.  The printer, router and NAS are all connected to the same UPS. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @NASty1

Have you checked if the IP the NAS and the Printer have are unique from each other? there might be conflict. 

You can use one drive or gdrive to send in the logs.

Regards

Message 2 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Port trunking/aggregation mode configured on the ReadyNAS?

What switch is the NAS (and probably the printer) connected to?

Any LAG configuration in place on the printer?

Message 3 of 10
NASty1
Aspirant

Am using the two ethernet ports on the RN314 in bonded mode, using LACP (layer 2 & 3).  Both are connected directly to individual ports on a router.  The printer, router and NAS are all connected to the same UPS. 

Message 4 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@NASty1 wrote:

Am using the two ethernet ports on the RN314 in bonded mode, using LACP (layer 2 & 3).  Both are connected directly to individual ports on a router. 

Unless this router does support LACP agregation (few higher end Netgears offer aggregation, not all come with 802.3ad LACP) and the two ports are configured accordingly, this reads like an unsupported configuration - as both ends must be configured to  802.3ad LACP agregation/trunking/bondig.

ReadyNAS OS 6.9.3 Software Manual

Configure Bonded Adapters , p.171 ff.

"Teaming Mode Description
IEEE 802.3ad LACP   Creates aggregation groups that use the same speed and duplex settings. Utilizes all interfaces in the active aggregator according to the 802.3ad specification.You need a switch that supports IEEE 802.3ad dynamic link aggregation."

Needless to say, the switch (resp, the bonded ports) must be also configured acordingly.

Just in case there is no such support on the router or a switch - use Adaptive Load Balancing on the ReadyNAS ... most non-managed switches are fine with this.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@NASty1 wrote:

Both are connected directly to individual ports on a router.   

What router (manufacturer and model)?

Message 6 of 10
NASty1
Aspirant

The router was the AS-RT86U asus router.  It doesn't support link aggregation...., and I should have purchased the AS-RT88U.  Think I'll just get the Netgear router that supports LACP.  It was my purchasing error, so it will be my expense.  Thanks to everyone who took the time to assist me!!  KUDO's to all! 

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@NASty1 wrote:

Think I'll just get the Netgear router that supports LACP. 

To set expectations here:  NIC bonding can only increase performance if you have multiple devices accessing the NAS simultaneously.  In the specific case of LACP,  each data flow is assigned to a particular NIC using the "xmit hash". 

If you only have two devices using the NAS at the same time, then if two flows end up being assigned to the same NIC, the other NIC is unused - so there can be no performance gain. The odds of a flow being assigned to a specific NIC is of course 50%. If you have two simultaneous flows, the odds of them being assigned to different NICs card is also 50%. If the flows are bi-directional, the odds of both directions of both flows being assigned to different NICs is only 25%.

For most home users, there isn't going to be much (if any) performance gain.  And if you want to guarantee that both NICs will be used whenever possible, then you'd need to use a static LAG on the switch and round-robin in the NAS.  While some Netgear home routers support LACP, I don't know of any that support static LAG. 

If you want to pursue NIC bonding, then I'd suggest purchasing a switch that supports static LAG (and ideally also LACP) - using that instead of a router).  You might also consider getting a multi-gig switch, as that would allow you to upgrade the NAS to a model that supports 10 gigabit ethernet (10GBase-T) in the future.

The Netgear GS810EMX has two 10GBase-T ports and supports both static LAG and LACP.  So I'd suggest getting that instead of replacing the router.  It gives you more options.

Message 8 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@NASty1 wrote:

The router was the AS-RT86U asus router.  It doesn't support link aggregation

That's not a problem, no need to rush for a new router - as I wrote above, just use Adaptive Load Balancing on the ReadyNAS ... most non-managed switches are fine with this.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

@NASty1 wrote:

The router was the AS-RT86U asus router.  It doesn't support link aggregation

That's not a problem, no need to rush for a new router - as I wrote above, just use Adaptive Load Balancing on the ReadyNAS ... most non-managed switches are fine with this.

Yes, that is something you can try for free, and it does work with most equipment.  If you see misbehaviour, then just turn it off again (and remove the second ethernet cable).

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements