× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: how long should a resynch take for a rndp6000-200?

exibar
Aspirant

how long should a resynch take for a rndp6000-200?

I got my rndp6000-200 up and running last night after some difficulties of resetting to factory, and then restoring the OS.  (it would not boot off usb at all)

so I got it running, with a 2tb sing drive, and seemed fine.  so now I inserted 4 x 8TB drives and did a factory reset, os reinstall, and it immediately went into a resync that is going super slow....   been over 12 hours now and it's only at like 7.3% completed.

AND I cannot get into the admin page any longer... it just sits there at the NetgearREadyNAS 6.10.6 screen...

any thoughts?  

also any thoughts about a usable USB stick?  I've tried half a dozen of different sizes and none of them will boot the system.. usb light comes on but it just sits there and never goes into the "usb recovery" mode on the lcd...

thanks!

Mike B

Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@exibar wrote:

so now I inserted 4 x 8TB drives and did a factory reset, os reinstall, and it immediately went into a resync that is going super slow....   been over 12 hours now and it's only at like 7.3% completed.

Not sure why you'd do a factory reset and an OS reinstall - the OS reinstall is redundant.

Creating the volume requires 32 TB of disk I/O, so it will take a while (several days).

@exibar wrote:

AND I cannot get into the admin page any longer... it just sits there at the NetgearREadyNAS 6.10.6 screen...

That is a bit unusual.  Did you check how much RAM was in the Pro-6 while you had the 2 TB drive connected?

I suggest waiting, as I think the volume build will complete, and the UI should then come back.  When it does, I suggest downloading the log zip file and looking at disk_info.log (to check the SMART stats on the disks).

Message 2 of 12
exibar
Aspirant

ahh, I thought I had to do both, the FR and the OSreinstall.  the OS reinstall to put the os on the drives, adn the FR to reset the box itself.

I did manage to actually get into the admin page after letting it sit for litterally hours, and I saw nothing but drive errors on drive 3.  I pulled drive 3 out, move drive4 into that slot and powered back on... admin page works normally, I coujld destroy and rebuild the volume, everything looks good.  the synch is over half done and will be complete by mroning.

I'll RMA this drive, and I have 2 more coming in this week.  When they arrive I'll add them to the array and expand it 🙂

it's like night and day now with that bad drive removed.  It would have taken a month to resynch with that bad drive in 😞

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@exibar wrote:

ahh, I thought I had to do both, the FR and the OSreinstall.  the OS reinstall to put the os on the drives, adn the FR to reset the box itself.

The factory reset doesn't reset anything in the chassis. It formats all the disks, and does a fresh factory install using the install image in the flash.

The OS reinstall does a partial reinstall of the firmware from the same flash image, and resets some settings back to factory default. So it is a non-destructive subset of the factory reset.

@exibar wrote:

It would have taken a month to resynch with that bad drive in 😞

or possibly the bad drive would have totally failed, which would have stopped the process.

Message 4 of 12
exibar
Aspirant

holy cow... the saga continues....  I expected to wake up to a fully synch'd volume and BOOM, admin page isn't loading again and only 61.4% synched...

I SSH'd into it and saw errors on the smartctl for drive 3...  I powered down the unit, swapped 3 to bay 4, and was able to get into the admin page long enough to see the errors that were on bay 3, move on to bay4...

yup, TWO bad drives!!!   

what the heck... seriously, what the heck 😞  I'm talking to the vendor where I got these drives from now, they offer a 3 year warranty on them and an RMA was opened for the first, now I have #2 to RMA as well 😞

Message 5 of 12
exibar
Aspirant

so the answer is probably no... but can I build an array with two drives, like raid1, then expand that to raid5 with xraid?  or will I have to destroy that volume to rebuild it as raid5 when the replacement drives arrive?

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@exibar wrote:

so the answer is probably no... but can I build an array with two drives, like raid1, then expand that to raid5 with xraid?  or will I have to destroy that volume to rebuild it as raid5 when the replacement drives arrive?

You can start with a single drive if you like.  Then try it in every slot, to make sure all bays work.

Then you can either rebuild from scratch or build it up by hot-inserting one drive at a time.

What errors are you seeing?

Message 7 of 12
exibar
Aspirant

here are the log entries from when I switched it from bay 3 to bay4.  and the smart error log below as well.

May 23, 2022 02:39:36 PM

Disk: Detected increasing reallocated sector count: [37344] on disk 4 (Internal) [ST8000NM0105 ZA153JQG] 137 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
May 23, 2022 02:34:57 PM

Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [9890] on disk 4 (Internal) [ST8000NM0105, ZA153JQG] 136 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [9890] on disk 4 (Internal) [ST8000NM0105, ZA153JQG] 136 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Disk: Detected increasing reallocated sector count: [37200] on disk 4 (Internal) [ST8000NM0105 ZA153JQG] 136 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.
May 23, 2022 02:34:55 PM

System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
May 23, 2022 02:34:55 PM

Volume: Resyncing started for Volume NAS-6bay.
May 23, 2022 12:44:31 PM

Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [9835] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST8000NM0105, ZA153JQG] 135 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [9835] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST8000NM0105, ZA153JQG] 135 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Disk: Detected increasing reallocated sector count: [35704] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST8000NM0105 ZA153JQG] 135 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@exibar wrote:

here are the log entries from when I switched it from bay 3 to bay4.  and the smart error log below as well.

May 23, 2022 02:39:36 PM

Disk: Detected increasing reallocated sector count: [37344] on disk 4 (Internal) [ST8000NM0105 ZA153JQG] 137 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Disk: Detected increasing reallocated sector count: [37200] on disk 4 (Internal) [ST8000NM0105 ZA153JQG] 136 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Disk: Detected increasing reallocated sector count: [35704] on disk 3 (Internal) [ST8000NM0105 ZA153JQG] 135 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

Can you check disk_info.log?  I am thinking you should double-check that ZA153JQG is a submodel, and not the disk serial number.  If it's the serial number, then all these errors are on the same disk (though for some reason not reported in the same bay).

Message 9 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

I think the drive in bay 4 may have been your issue all along.  An ATA error is not always (in fact, quite often is not) the fault of the drive in question.  A bad bay or another drive interfering can cause them.  But the re-allocated sectors are always the fault of the drive itself.

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I think the drive in bay 4 may have been your issue all along.  An ATA error is not always (in fact, quite often is not) the fault of the drive in question.  A bad bay or another drive interfering can cause them.  But the re-allocated sectors are always the fault of the drive itself.

Yes but I am puzzled on the disk apparently being in bay 3 in the earliest log.

Message 11 of 12
exibar
Aspirant

ahh, sorry for the confusion.  I moved it from bay3 to bay4 to see if the errors followed the drive, and they did.

the previous drive that failed had the same errors in the diskinfo.log file, so there were for sure 2 bad drives.  The company I bought them from honored their warranty no questions asked when I sent them the data from the smartctl output.  so that was very cool, I have new drives on the way to me 😉

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements