× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readynas RND2000 duo V2 - Plex install

Retired_Member
Not applicable

readynas RND2000 duo V2 - Plex install

Hi Everyone,

Newbie question so i apologise in advance if this has been covered already.

I Recently got a 2nd hand ReadyNas DUO V2 for a good price, Ive installed a 2TB Nas drive and its ready to go.

Currently running RAIDiator 5.3.13 and I can access the Dashboard if that helps?

I have tried to find the Plex App for my version but im hitting a brick wall everytime, the APP tab doesn't allow me to search for the App, I can browse for a downloaded File (which i thought was the correct version) - however they just come up with the Bad Architecture message.

Having done a fair amount of research i have come the conclusion that the Plex app i have downloaded is only for the OS6 versions.

Can anyone give me some advice please as to how i can install Plex.

I have searched for the version created by "whocares" but cant find it to download.

Am i missing something obvious?

Ive read Posts in forums saying that my NAS can run Plex.

I dont need transcoding as thats already been done in preperation.

Dont really want to buy another NAS as this was a little project on the cheap.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Shep.

P.S - if i dont reply it will be because im at work catching baddies 😉

Message 1 of 28
StephenB
Guru

Plex no longer supports "legacy" NAS, including your duo v2.

The final version that works with the v2 is (I think) 9.14.6.  It is no longer available on the plex site - maybe if someone here has the v2 version they will post a link.

Another option is to run plex on a PC, mounting your NAS data volume as a drive letter.

Message 2 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for replying.

After many frustrating hours of searching i did kinda come to the conclusion that it was no longer supported.

If there is anyone out there with the correct version i would be so grateful if they could provide a link or Maybe Email it to me?

I have Plex Server running on my PC at the moment but wanted a full time solution - hence this cheap NAS drive.

I would rather not Mount the NAS as it will mean the PC running all the time which i dont really want to do.

Kind regards

Shep

Message 3 of 28
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi Shep

I've just seen your post and so maybe too late to help you but I do have a copy of Plex that can run on your ReadyNAS Duo v2 because that is the very same hardware I run and my old version of Plex is running perfectly.

OK, the version of Plex you want is PlexMediaServer-0.9.16.6.1993-5089475-arm.bin, which is the final version of Plex made for the Duo v2.

If you still want this copy of PMS then drop me a post and link to the site where you want me to upload the copy.

Later.

UK Bob

Message 4 of 28
ihshaikh
Tutor

Hi UK Bob

I would appreciate a copy of the PMS version for a ReadyNAs Duo v2.

Can send you a Dropbox link for you to upload. 

Message 5 of 28
Roxy1
Apprentice

Hi Bob, I would like to give it a try on the NAS before resorting to a separate PC.

If you could share at

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WjgnSq17cyc9eVGAFvctz11SvK0dVySm?usp=sharing

Thank you very much

Message 6 of 28
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi Roxy

Believe it or not, I sent the download site to you for PlexMediaServer-0.9.16.6.1993-5089475-arm.bin yesterday, i.e. 30th December, but it seems that something went wrong with this forum's reply facility.

Anyway, the site where you can download PMS from is as follows:-

https://ufile.io/n2kj1

Happy New Year and Happy Plexing

UK Bob

Message 7 of 28
Roxy1
Apprentice

Thanks Bob, and to you as well.

Message 8 of 28
Roxy1
Apprentice

Hi Bob, the file uploads and then says "an unrecognized server error occured"

Have you seen that before?

Oof, Chrome was the culprit! 

Message 9 of 28
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi again Roxy

The other recipients of this file have not reported any problems during their downloads.

Anyway, this file is available until 16th January 2018, so I suggest you try again at a later time.

UK Bob

Message 10 of 28
Roxy1
Apprentice

Hi Bob, all,

The install went OK, and I was working through the basic setup when I lost connection /it became unavailable. Now there is a constant message in the web app stating I need to update the version on the DuoV2 as the current version is unsupported.

"The server "nas-BF-0E-E5" is out of date and cannot be selected. This version of the web app requires Plex Media Server 1.3.0 or higher. Use one of the links below to open an available, out of date server directly.

nas-BF-0E-E5 (Unavailable)"

Clicking on the link just repeats the message.

Message 11 of 28
ukbobboy
Luminary

I think I understand why you are getting that error, i.e. 

"The server "nas-BF-0E-E5" is out of date and cannot be selected. This version of the web app requires Plex Media Server 1.3.0 or higher. Use one of the links below to open an available, out of date server directly. nas-BF-0E-E5 (Unavailable)".

But I must ask, are you trying to connect to an online PMS service?  

What you must understand is that you can only use PlexMediaServer-0.9.16.6.1993-5089475-arm.bin on the RN Duo V2 within you own home network. Simply because it is old and no longer supported by Plex, just like our NAS is no longer supported by Netgear. In fact, and if I remember correctly, Plex dropped all support for PMS software with a lower version number than 1.0 in 2015 and the PMS software you've downloaded is the last official Plex release for our NAS.

OK, the last thing I can advise you on is to insure that your RN Duo V2 is running firmware 5.3.13.

Finally, enjoy using Plex on your RN Duo V2 and have a happy new year.

UK Bob

Message 12 of 28
Roxy1
Apprentice

Hi Bob, that is an essential tip and thanks for sharing.

After removing the application and reinstalling on the NAS then a quick setup on the browser locally, (not to the device though over the interior network) it's behaving better. 

Fortunatly the NAS also has the DLNA built in, so at least as a storage source, content is available even when PLEX plays up.

Message 13 of 28
StephenB
Guru

Plex also has a built-in DLNA server that you can use on your local LAN.

Message 14 of 28
Oernstrup
Aspirant

Hi,

I have tried to update my old RND2000 v2, with new firmware and would like to run a PLEX-server. Now I have updated to firmware 4.1.16. Is it possible på upgrate to 5.x.x? 

Have not been able to find a plex-version for the NAS. Anybody know where to download it?

BR Jacob

Message 15 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@Oernstrup wrote:

I have tried to update my old RND2000 v2, with new firmware and would like to run a PLEX-server. Now I have updated to firmware 4.1.16. Is it possible på upgrate to 5.x.x? 

Have not been able to find a plex-version for the NAS. Anybody know where to download it?

Your 4.1.16 system is an RND2000 v1 (sparc cpu).  It's not capable of running plex.

OS 5.x.x is for the v2 (arm cpu) systems, so you cannot install that.

The labeling on the back of the NAS often confuses people, but the v2 label that matters is on the front (and yours won't say v2 there).

Anyway, your only options are to run plex on a PC (you can do that, but still keep the media on the NAS), or get a new OS 6 NAS that can run the current version of plex.

Message 16 of 28
ukbobboy
Luminary

Hi BR

I think StephenB has made a small mistake, there is a fan made web-site where you can download Plex for your ReadyNAS Duo v1.0, running firmware 4.x. 

The URL you want is as follows:-

https://web.archive.org/web/20130910125628/http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Downloads#ReadyNAS_5.x_...

Please note, I cannot make any recommendations or offer any kind of support because I have, personally, never downloaded any PMS software from this site myself, I just became aware of this fan site when Plex announced that they were no longer supporting or hosting any software below version 1.0.

Good Luck

UK Bob

Message 17 of 28
bedlam1
Prodigy

@ukbobboy your link is for Raidiator 5.x (ARM) 

There isn't one for Raidiator 4.x (SPARC)

Message 18 of 28
ukbobboy
Luminary

Sorry Bedlam1

The PMS software for RN Duo V1 is for x86 cpu's only, I was totally unaware of this because my NAS runs an ARM 5.x cpu and I did not look any further.

UK Bob

PS. I originally thought that all RN Duo V1s had sparc cpu's.

Message 19 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@ukbobboy wrote:

PS. I originally thought that all RN Duo V1s had sparc cpu's.

They do all have sparc CPUs - as do all ReadyNAS that run 4.1.x firmware.  And plex is only available for arm and x86 platforms - not sparcs.   The sparc ReadyNAS simply don't have the speed or memory, and they are running a very old version of linux.  So my response above is completely correct.

I think you are confusing x86 legacy ReadyNAS (pro, nvx, ultra) with v1.  The x86 legacy ReadyNAS run 4.2.x firmware.

As you know, even though plex runs on arm and x86, the plex folks dropped legacy ReadyNAS (v2s running 5.3.x and legacy x86 running 4.2.x) some time ago.   So current plex builds are limited to OS 6 ReadyNAS.

Message 20 of 28
ukbobboy
Luminary

Bedlam

You said, "I think you are confusing x86 legacy ReadyNAS (pro, nvx, ultra) with v1.  The x86 legacy ReadyNAS run 4.2.x firmware".  No I am not, if you check the website I posted the URL for, and scrolled upwards, you would see that it hosted PMS software for 4.x firmware but only x86 CPUs.

Here's the screen print I was going to post earlier:-

PMS for RN Duo V1.jpg

As stated before, I was unaware that this fan-site did not cater for Sparc CPUs, as my NAS uses Arm 5x and I did not check any further.

Good look in your continued search.

UK Bob

Message 21 of 28
bedlam1
Prodigy

I did not type that Man IndifferentMan Tongue

Message 22 of 28
Oernstrup
Aspirant

Thanks for all replys.
The v2 in the label confused me. Guess I have to drop the project. One again thanks.
Message 23 of 28
ukbobboy
Luminary

Sorry Bedlam

I guess I am becoming confused Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

UK Bob

Message 24 of 28
thombe
Apprentice

Hi (all)
I also have a now dusty Ready Nas Duo V2 

RAIDiator 5.3.13

I have been running Plex Server 0.9.16.4 (actually without any issues for a long time)

but I would like to make sure its as up to date as possible.

Is it worth updating to PlexMediaServer-0.9.16.6.1993-5089475-arm.bin as I haven't had any issues, and if so (maybe some extra features or something) ?

If there is a sensible reason to stick that last version on.. how do I actually do it ?

Thanks for the time reading this.

Ben

Message 25 of 28
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements