× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1 weeks worth of corrupt work files, snapshots not stored, help?

Electrabentley
Aspirant

1 weeks worth of corrupt work files, snapshots not stored, help?

Hi, I hope someone can help.

We use a ReadyNAS 104 in a small business; it has been really useful and great to know everything is being backed up by snapshots.

Or so it seemed anyway; today I found the last week's worth of files saved are "corrupt"; mostly Excel, Word and PDF files - can't open any saved after 3:20pm on 31/8, up to today. Files saved after 5th September have gone completely. Files saved today are fine.

I checked the admin screens and we have 1 drive "black" (#3 of 4); and looked for snapshots but there are only snapshots up to January! I am gobsmacked; I thought this system was supposed to give peace of mind but I have lost so much work; not just files made last week but some files that have years of data in (that were updated & saved last week) are gone.
I ordered a new drive to replace the "black" drive (i.e. it is not marked "green" or "red" but it is as if it is not plugged in at all) but when I insert it am I going to get my corrupt files back?

I am absolutely devastated; some of these files will take weeks or possibly months to recreate. As a small business we cannot afford to spend time doing this.

I found a topic here with a similar issue but no solution is presented:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/Random-corrupt-word-excel-and-pdf-files-Readyn...

From what I can see from the log it has been "pruning" snapshots but I can't see any note of it saving them. So why it would "prune" snapshots from, say, June (and it would have been a big help for me to have those snapshots) yet the latest I can access is January is beyond me.

I pray someone can give me some advice!

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: 1 weeks worth of corrupt work files, snapshots not stored, help?

Definitely something went very wrong, I think you'll need support (or have someone from Netgear analyze your logs) in order to see exactly what.

You might consider using Netgear's data recovery service.  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service.  If you do that, you should stop updating or adding files to the NAS - they will interfere with recovery.

@Electrabentley wrote:

...it has been really useful and great to know everything is being backed up by snapshots.

Unfortunately, snapshots are not back ups.  They function more like the recovery bin (or like "previous versions") in windows.

To protect your data you need to back it up to a different device.

@Electrabentley wrote:

From what I can see from the log it has been "pruning" snapshots but I can't see any note of it saving them. So why it would "prune" snapshots from, say, June (and it would have been a big help for me to have those snapshots) yet the latest I can access is January is beyond me.

Pruning is supposed to work more like "thinning".  Hourly, daily, and weekly snapshots are gradually thinned out, but the monthly snapshot should be retained forever (or until you manually delete it).  

Though if the data volume gets very full, then the oldest snapshots are deleted.  That doesn't seem to be your case, since you still see January snapshots.

There's a description here: https://kb.netgear.com/24478/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Smart-Snapshot-Management

Message 2 of 6
Electrabentley
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

It gets worse unfortunately; the system pruned more snapshots over the past couple of days, removing everything back to November! It seems to be pruning them backwards, removing the latest ones and keeping the earliest ones. I see from the logs that there were snapshots created up to June, but they've all been pruned!

Daily snapshots are working again after I enabled "spin down after inactivity" and enabled the ability to spin back up to make a snapshot. I wish I hadn't in a way as testing hourly snapshots seems to be what has pruned a load of the daily ones back to November.

Drive #3 of the 4 turned out to be totally dead so I've replaced that and it is currently "resynching" for 24 hours; 20 minutes left so I will know more once that is complete although I fear my corrupt data is gone for good. 

I also have another drive due to arrive today to act as a backup drive.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Is the data volume more than 90% full?  It sounds like it might be from your symptoms.

Message 4 of 6
Electrabentley
Aspirant

No, it is around 14% full, if that. Mostly small text documents and spreadsheets; no large files.

It just finished "syncing" the replacement drive; the corrupt files are unfortunately still corrupt. I was hoping there was a small chance they'd be recreated "correctly" once all the discs were back to full health.

I always thought one of the main features of this drive was the data was stored across the drives so if one died it would still be there; this is most distressing. I now have a backup network drive for data so will just have to recreate the files I have lost. Weeks of work but I guess I shouldn't have relied on it to do what I expected it to do. Had the snapshots been working I'd have been OK; had they not been deleting everything from June and backwards all the way to November I'd be better off; I cannot comprehend why it has done what it has done but you live and learn. It has kept 2013 to Nov 2016 and "pruned" everything after! Crazy.

Cheers for the help anyway

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Electrabentley wrote:

It has kept 2013 to Nov 2016 and "pruned" everything after!

It's not designed to function that way, so something clearly went wrong.  What firmware are you running?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements