× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Accessing shares on a Mac through Active Directory

FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

Accessing shares on a Mac through Active Directory

Howdy,

So I'm experimenting with setting up an AD server for the office because the business is beginning to reach that point (and also because it's just kinda fun 🙂

My concern is regarding the Mac laptops a couple of employees bring in which need to connect to shares on the NAS. I'm not much of a Mac person, but so far they're connecting ok with the local/workgroup accounts I have set up.

My question is whether switching from local accounts to AD accounts will make any difference on that process? I don't want them to have to sign in differently to their actual OS on their private laptops. Connecting to SMB/AFP shares on the NAS are the only thing they should have to enter business credentials for. Will that just work the same?

Thanks,

Joe

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 6
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Accessing shares on a Mac through Active Directory

Hello FloodlightMedia,

Once the NAS is integrated to the domain, the domain will now control permissions and restrictions on accessing the shares/folders of the NAS.

As for local accounts you will need to create the local account together with their ID an password on the NAS. Then set permission to which share/folder the local users will have read/write access to. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello FloodlightMedia,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

Ok, I'm yet to be able to make one of the NAS boxes actually successfully connect to AD, but since it tells me that ReadyCloud can't work if AD is enabled, I'm not sure I want to try too hard until I can come up with an alternative VPN solution for remote access.

At any rate, I can say that local accounts work fine with AD accounts as long as the username and password match.

Message 4 of 6
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello FloodlightMedia,

VPN connection to remote access the NAS will work. As long as the NAS integrate with the AD without a problem, the username and password for authentication match the data should be accessible.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello FloodlightMedia,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements