× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup Questions

PatrickJohnson1
Aspirant

Backup Questions

Question 1

Do i need internet connect to back my data on my ReadyNAs 3138? Besides the ReadyNAS is connected to our Cisco switch for hich every other nodes are connected.

Question 2

Am managing up to 50 computers on my Microsoft window Active directory and am looking for the best way to backup each computer to my ReadyNAS with comsuming my bandwidth.

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Backup Questions

Hi @PatrickJohnson1

Welcome to the Community!

Question 1

Do i need internet connect to back my data on my ReadyNAs 3138? Besides the ReadyNAS is connected to our Cisco switch for hich every other nodes are connected.

If you will be doing local backups then using internet connection won't be necessary. This is needed if you will backup from a remote server/location.

Question 2

Am managing up to 50 computers on my Microsoft window Active directory and am looking for the best way to backup each computer to my ReadyNAS with comsuming my bandwidth

There are backup methods used by ReadyNAS. You can check them here ReadyNAS Backup FAQ. You may want to use Windows/NAS (Timestamp) or Rsync backup.

Connecting your NAS on the Internet is also important for updates or fixes and remote access.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @PatrickJohnson1

Welcome to the Community!

Question 1

If you will be doing local backups then using internet connection won't be necessary. This is needed if you will backup from a remote server/location.

Question 2

Am managing up to 50 computers on my Microsoft window Active directory and am looking for the best way to backup each computer to my ReadyNAS with comsuming my bandwidth

There are backup methods used by ReadyNAS. You can check them here ReadyNAS Backup FAQ. You may want to use Windows/NAS (Timestamp) or Rsync backup.

Connecting your NAS on the Internet is also important for updates or fixes and remote access.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Although you don't need an internet connection for backup, it does have a couple of consequences.  The Antivirus definitions won't be updated, and also your system won't receive the hot fixes that Netgear sometimes pushes.

Message 3 of 5
PatrickJohnson1
Aspirant

Thanks Marc_V

Message 4 of 5
PatrickJohnson1
Aspirant

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors