× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup-----push data from NAS to another source

FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Backup-----push data from NAS to another source

firmware 6.7.4

readynas 2120

In the GUI, under the backup tab, I have a task the pushes some of data on the NAS to a drive on our server( win server 2008).

Task settings

Remote:windows/NAS (timestamp)

I don't have a schedule for this, it backs up only when I click start

options tab

• schedule full backup: everytime
  • remove the contents of the backup destination before the full backup

Often times I get a message like below when task is finished. But the same task worked fine the day prior. As soon as I go to the destination and delete or rename target folder then everything is fine again for a bit.

How do you post a screenshot or attachment to this forum, am I just overlooking it?

Backup Status: Fail: destination is read-only or files/folders could not be created. Check if these files or folders meet the destination file system limitation.

Cannot create file '/job_020/Backup_From_NAS/test123/__foo__.10845' (error: No such file or directory)!

Model: ReadyNAS RND2120|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backup-----push data from NAS to another source

@FG wrote:

How do you post a screenshot or attachment to this forum, am I just overlooking it?

It takes a few posts (not sure how many) before insert image becomes available.  PNG is best for screenshots.

insert-image.png

Message 2 of 18
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, thanks.

Any thoughts to my backup error?

Message 3 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Are you using the hostname or the IP address in the remote destination configuration?  Often IP address works more reliably.

Message 4 of 18
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am using the host name for the remote destination

Message 5 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Try switching to IP address for a bit, and see if that is more reliable.

Message 6 of 18
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

No luck.

I switched to IP address instead of host name and I get the following message.

Backup Status: Fail: destination is read-only or files/folders could not be created. Check if these files or folders meet the destination file system limitation.

Cannot create file '/job_020/Backup_From_NAS/test123/__foo__.5014' (error: No such file or directory)!

Message 7 of 18
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Under the task options for a backup, I don't think "schedule full back---everytime" and having the remove the contents of the backup destination before full back box checked is a good combination.

Though those are the exact same settings I use when I backup to USB drive and that never gives me errors.

?????

Message 8 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Are there any errors reported on the Windows Server?

Possibly the NAS is using SMB1?

Message 9 of 18
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

No errors on server.

Where would I see SMB1?

On the NAS, under the share settings, under network access,  I see SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP..........., but I am only using SMB

Message 10 of 18
StephenB
Guru

It's possible that the windows server was patched to remove SMB1 (since there was a recent CVE), and perhaps that's causing a problem.  But that's just a theory, and I'd expect something in the server logs if that were the case.

The normal web ui doesn't give you visibility into the SMB modes.  There is an SMB Plus app from Netgear that does.

You might also try re-entering the PC credentials in the backup job settings. 

Message 11 of 18
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I go to destination tab, enter creds and click test connection I get window......successfully connected to ..........

How could it be a Windows server problem, if by changing the settings NAS

from------Under the task options for a backup, "schedule full back---everytime" and having the remove the contents of the backup destination before full back box checked 

To------first time and remove conents NOT checked

then it appears the problem goes away....maybe

Message 12 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@FG wrote:

...then it appears the problem goes away....maybe

I can't read your mind and this is the first time you've mentioned it.

Though I'm not convinced it has gone away.  The error happens when the NAS tries to write to the destination folder.  If you just make the settings change and run the job again, there might not be any writes to do.  With the remove option checked, of course it begins by deleting files.

Another thought is that the Windows server isn't giving the NAS write permission.  If you are entering credentials for the server in the backup job, perhaps double check them in the PC.  If you aren't entering credentials, perhaps create an account on the server for the NAS, and use those credentials in the backup job.

Message 13 of 18
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi, 

It's a bit odd why it would go read only. It is a difficult thing to troubleshoot with several possibilities;

- Does the mount point go R/O on the NAS side? 

- Does the win server make the destination R/O for some reason? 

- Does it happen because the file permissions changes on stuff inside the windows folder, denying the NAS to write to it? 

- Could it be some windows sync program causing the folder to go read only (locking it) ?

Is not that easy to answer straight away. However, what the NAS does is really simple. It mounts an smb share and edits/copies data into it. That is really straight forward. I think the reason StephenB asks about the widows side is because more things can go wrong there. Best approach would be to start eliminating things. 

When the job fails, check:

- File permissions on the Windows folder (Properties --> Security). Are files and folders still R/W for the user that the NAS is authenticating with? Try resetting the permissions on the windows folder and all content inside. 

- Is there a pattern? If you run the job at a different time, does it work? 

- Turn off programs like AV and sync agents, then try again.

- Login to the NAS over SSH and monitor the Windows mount point when the job runs: watch "mount"

Does the mount point stay R/W on the NAS side?

- When it fails, don't rename the folder in windows. Delete all files inside the folder manually instead and run the job again. Does that help? 

- When it fails, don't do anything on the windows side. Delete the backup job on the NAS and re-create it. Does that do anything? 

You have to try and determine where the issues is first. NAS side or windows side. When did the problem start? Any recent program installs around that time or other changes, etc.

We might be able to help better if we know on which side the fault lies 🙂

Cheers

Message 14 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Hopchen wrote:

It's a bit odd why it would go read only. 

My understanding from the first post is that the NAS is unable to write to the share on the PC.  It'd be helpful to get clarification on this point though.

Message 15 of 18
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

The NAS can write to the PC. It completes most of the backup task, writing nearly all of the data then at some point fires off the error message.

Message 16 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@FG wrote:

The NAS can write to the PC. It completes most of the backup task, writing nearly all of the data then at some point fires off the error message.

So taking this one as an example:

Backup Status: Fail: destination is read-only or files/folders could not be created. Check if these files or folders meet the destination file system limitation. Cannot create file '/job_020/Backup_From_NAS/test123/__foo__.10845' (error: No such file or directory)!

It might be useful to know

• the folder permissions/owner for subfolder test123
  • whether __foo__.10845 already existed in that folder, and if so what permissions it had (And who owned it).

It would also be useful to know if you could access the NAS share from the PC and copy __foo__.10845 into that folder (or not).

Message 17 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

Looking at this at face value:

Backup Status: Fail: destination is read-only or files/folders could not be created. Check if these files or folders meet the destination file system limitation. Cannot create file '/job_020/Backup_From_NAS/test123/__foo__.10845' (error: No such file or directory)!

Does /job_020/Backup_From_NAS/test123/__foo__.10845 actually exist on the NAS?  Maybe the real file name has an illegal character in it for a Windows file name?  Or could it have been deleted while the backup job was ongoing?  Are you backing up into a Windows folder that is too deep and the resulting full path name is more than 260 characters?

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements