Highlighted
Contributor

Can’t change permissions – “The parameter is incorrect”

I have three ReadyNAS Pro Business boxes on Windows Server 2003 domain.

Just noticed that there are some issues with changing permission on Windows machines. Basically if a user creates a folder and then he or an administrator tries to change some permissions (add additional user, propagate permissions to child objects, allow or disallow inheritance) this fails with error
“An error occurred applying security information to: <path/folder> The parameter is incorrect”
Or:
“Unable to save permissions changes on <foldername> The parameter is incorrect”

The same happens for the domain administrator account which was used to add ReadyNAS to a domain.
If I try to add additional user this actually works even after the error is displayed, however it doesn’t propagate down and only affects one folder.

This definitely used to work so I suspect problem occurred after one of the recent firmware updates. I am currently on 4.2.13, but the same was happened on 4.2.12 (just upgraded hoping this would sort the problem).

Also, this seems to affect only newly created folders. With old folders everything works fine.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Contributor

Re: Can’t change permissions – “The parameter is incorrect”

Have a case opened regarding this issue with Netgear support. It has now been escalated to Lever-3 but still no suggestions.

This is causing problems on our network as I can’t set correct permissions for newly created home and profile folders.

I am tempted to try removing one of the ReadyNAS devices from AD and then re-adding it with another domain admin account. Would this cause any additional problems with permissions on existing shares and folders?
Administrator

Support team member will contact you regarding this. Thanks.
Initial Contributor

I am having the exact same problem. How do we resolve this?
Esteemed Contributor

arunasad and dbuschjr, What is the client OS you guys are using? I know there's a server 2003 domain involved, but with just a brief check on my end using a windows 7 client to edit the permissions, it works for me.

edit: Also, one other thing. Would it be possible for you to give us a sample of the folder path for one of these instances where it occurs? And by that I mean \\nas_hostname\sharename\folder\folder\folder that way we can see if there's any ascii characters in that path that may be affecting it that we wouldn't normally see in basic testing.
Contributor

I don't have any Win 7 clients in the domain, but the same occurs on Windows XP and Server 2003 machines.
Folder path would be \\svr-oxf-nas1\Profiles-Oxf\TEST

Edit:
Received first response from level 3 support. They can recreate the problem and say this must be to do with newer version of Samba.

I hope solution or workaround will come soon. It's a major issue if we can't modify folders' permissions inside shares.
Esteemed Contributor

arunasad wrote:
I don't have any Win 7 clients in the domain, but the same occurs on Windows XP and Server 2003 machines.
Folder path would be \\svr-oxf-nas1\Profiles-Oxf\TEST

Edit:
Received first response from level 3 support. They can recreate the problem and say this must be to do with newer version of Samba.

I hope solution or workaround will come soon. It's a major issue if we can't modify folders' permissions inside shares.

do you have a case number?
Contributor

Original case number #12974969.
It looks like Level 3 support assigned a new number #12976372
Initial Contributor

I am also having this problem.
Contributor

This seems to be related to the "Domain Users" security group. At lease for me. Thanks to level-3 support I have a workaround now.

This is a workaround I used:
Using a windows client and administrator account remove Domain Users from share's root and add everyone instead. Re-Adding domain users also seems to works, but you have to use Advanced Security window and make sure permissions apply to "This Folder Only"
Set required permissions on the next level folders but DO NOT use "domain users". Other security groups seems to be fine, but as soon as you try to use "domain users" issue re-appears. Also, "everyone" for me only works on share's root. If I try to use "everyone" instead of "domain users" on next level folders it doesn't make any difference.

Issue also reappears for me if a profile folder is created automatically by Active Directory. What I have to do is log-on as a user and create folder manually. Then I can edit permissions as an administrator. A bit messy but al least works.

Hopefully a proper fix will come soon.
Discussion Stats
Top Contributors