× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can’t change permissions – “The parameter is incorrect”

arunasad
Aspirant

Can’t change permissions – “The parameter is incorrect”

I have three ReadyNAS Pro Business boxes on Windows Server 2003 domain.

Just noticed that there are some issues with changing permission on Windows machines. Basically if a user creates a folder and then he or an administrator tries to change some permissions (add additional user, propagate permissions to child objects, allow or disallow inheritance) this fails with error
“An error occurred applying security information to: <path/folder> The parameter is incorrect”
Or:
“Unable to save permissions changes on <foldername> The parameter is incorrect”

The same happens for the domain administrator account which was used to add ReadyNAS to a domain.
If I try to add additional user this actually works even after the error is displayed, however it doesn’t propagate down and only affects one folder.

This definitely used to work so I suspect problem occurred after one of the recent firmware updates. I am currently on 4.2.13, but the same was happened on 4.2.12 (just upgraded hoping this would sort the problem).

Also, this seems to affect only newly created folders. With old folders everything works fine.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Message 1 of 138
arunasad
Aspirant

Have a case opened regarding this issue with Netgear support. It has now been escalated to Lever-3 but still no suggestions.

This is causing problems on our network as I can’t set correct permissions for newly created home and profile folders.

I am tempted to try removing one of the ReadyNAS devices from AD and then re-adding it with another domain admin account. Would this cause any additional problems with permissions on existing shares and folders?
Message 2 of 138
Lithium-Admin
Novice

Support team member will contact you regarding this. Thanks.
Message 3 of 138
dbuschjr1
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem. How do we resolve this?
Message 4 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

arunasad and dbuschjr, What is the client OS you guys are using? I know there's a server 2003 domain involved, but with just a brief check on my end using a windows 7 client to edit the permissions, it works for me.

edit: Also, one other thing. Would it be possible for you to give us a sample of the folder path for one of these instances where it occurs? And by that I mean \\nas_hostname\sharename\folder\folder\folder that way we can see if there's any ascii characters in that path that may be affecting it that we wouldn't normally see in basic testing.
Message 5 of 138
arunasad
Aspirant

I don't have any Win 7 clients in the domain, but the same occurs on Windows XP and Server 2003 machines.
Folder path would be \\svr-oxf-nas1\Profiles-Oxf\TEST

Edit:
Received first response from level 3 support. They can recreate the problem and say this must be to do with newer version of Samba.

I hope solution or workaround will come soon. It's a major issue if we can't modify folders' permissions inside shares.
Message 6 of 138
beisser1
Aspirant

arunasad wrote:
I don't have any Win 7 clients in the domain, but the same occurs on Windows XP and Server 2003 machines.
Folder path would be \\svr-oxf-nas1\Profiles-Oxf\TEST

Edit:
Received first response from level 3 support. They can recreate the problem and say this must be to do with newer version of Samba.

I hope solution or workaround will come soon. It's a major issue if we can't modify folders' permissions inside shares.

do you have a case number?
Message 7 of 138
arunasad
Aspirant

Original case number #12974969.
It looks like Level 3 support assigned a new number #12976372
Message 8 of 138
emcandrew
Aspirant

I am also having this problem.
Message 9 of 138
arunasad
Aspirant

This seems to be related to the "Domain Users" security group. At lease for me. Thanks to level-3 support I have a workaround now.

This is a workaround I used:
Using a windows client and administrator account remove Domain Users from share's root and add everyone instead. Re-Adding domain users also seems to works, but you have to use Advanced Security window and make sure permissions apply to "This Folder Only"
Set required permissions on the next level folders but DO NOT use "domain users". Other security groups seems to be fine, but as soon as you try to use "domain users" issue re-appears. Also, "everyone" for me only works on share's root. If I try to use "everyone" instead of "domain users" on next level folders it doesn't make any difference.

Issue also reappears for me if a profile folder is created automatically by Active Directory. What I have to do is log-on as a user and create folder manually. Then I can edit permissions as an administrator. A bit messy but al least works.

Hopefully a proper fix will come soon.
Message 10 of 138
emcandrew
Aspirant

Thanks, that works for manual creation (as long as I do the steps), but I can't take this thing to production until I can migrate all of my existing share ACL's to it as well. Robocopy throws fits still... :twisted:

I just bought two of these for just a little over 7k and they're worthless to me at this point...

2010/08/31 16:39:15 ERROR 87 (0x00000057) Copying NTFS Security to Destination Directory [file path]
The parameter is incorrect.
Message 11 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

Ok guys, we need a specific step by step set of instructions to try and reproduce this, including exactly what OS the domain is running, what OS the client is, and exactly how you're trying to adjust permissions. No matter what I do, works just fine for me, so there's obviously something being missed here.
Message 12 of 138
arunasad
Aspirant

Grievous,

Some background of my network:
Windows Server 2003 domain.
Windows XP clients.
3 sites in different geographical locations connected by VPN.
3 ReadNAS Pro Business (one in each site). All three affected. All running 4.2.12 firmware.
Tried to upgrade one of the devices to 4.2.13. This didn't fix the issue, but device froze two nights in a row after the upgrade so had to downgrade.

Regarding step by step instructions - I can reproduce this simply following instructions on ReadyNAS website http://www.readynas.com/?p=1987
Level-3 support engineer said he could also recreate this using the same instructions. Check notes of case #12976372.
Critical step here seems to be adding "Domain Users" security group to the share. Even if this succeeds any further attempts to edit permissions on next level folders fail.

I can also recreate this without using Domain Users group is if I allow Active Directory to automatically create user’s profile folders on ReadyNAS. There is no Domain Users group in the permission list, but “parameter incorrect” error appears trying to add any additional security group to newly created profile folder. If profile folder is created manually issue does not occur even when permission list looks exactly the same.

If you still can't reproduce this there seems to be something else involved.

I have an acceptable workaround now, but it would be great if the issue is properly fixed. Especially knowing that this doesn't affect only me and your own engineers can recreate it.
Message 13 of 138
smdh
Aspirant

Is there any way to get on a mailing list for when this is corrected? As others have stated, until this is fixed, the NAS is basically useless as the work around listed isn't a work around for us as the "domain users" account isn't involved in this situation for us either.
Message 14 of 138
ab4ok
Aspirant

I've experienced similar quirks in AD administration. My config:

2 ReadyNAS 3200 units, both on the latest firmware 4.2.13
Windows 2000 domain (will soon be moving to Win2008R2)
Win XP clients

My experience:
1. I create a share in NAS per instructions found on this site
2. I use Win2000 Server, logged in as administrator to create directories in NAS-created share
3. If I try to change permissions on NAS folder and propogate down it leads to a world of hurt. Found it best to leave NAS folder "as is" and focus on permissions of directories created in Windows.
4. ReadyNAS automatically adds groups/users, "Domain Users", "Everyone", "root (Unix)", "CREATE GROUP", CREATE USER" (though some of these not immediately visible), and set to "This folder only".
5. Sometimes I want my "Domain Users" to have read-execute permissions on all folders within a share and another group to have full permissions. If I try to change the Domain Users permissions at a higher level and propogate throughout it often errors out with "parameter is incorrect." If I try to remove the "Domain Users" group and then re-add it with the permissions I want I get similar results.

My work-around for "Domain Users" issue:
1. Let ReadyNAS set permssions however it wants on it's "share."
2. Create my folder(s) from within Windows under the ReadyNAS share.
3. If I want all "Domain Users" to have certain permissions I first create a group called something like, "All_Domain_Users" and add the group "Domain Users" as a member of the group. Then I assign the group "All_Domain_Users" to my WIndows folder(s) with the required permissions and for "This folder, subfolders and files."
4. It seems that ReadyNAS will still add the users and groups it wants to add, even when I try to remove them and propogate downward so I gave up trying to change them.

I just figured the problems I was having was because we're still on WIn2000. Hope this helps someone.
Message 15 of 138
smdh
Aspirant

I'm on XP, and we've got 2003 and 2008 domain controllers, so I don't think it's a 2000 issue.
Message 16 of 138
dnelsonwc
Aspirant

Can we get an ETA on the release of the next firmware update that will fix this? This is causing all sorts of problems, especially for our network-based applications.
Message 17 of 138
Christianroth
Aspirant

I have the same problem, on a ReadyNAS 2100 with the latest firmware. WinXP machines, Win2003 server, DHCP.
Message 18 of 138
Conn
Aspirant

I am also having this error with a ReadyNAS 2100. I was able to do the workaround to get the permissions set, but I'm not able to reassign an owner with the user created folders.
Message 19 of 138
Christianroth
Aspirant

Conn, which work around worked for you?
Message 20 of 138
Conn
Aspirant

Christianroth wrote:
Conn, which work around worked for you?

I removed Domain Users from the security box of the folder. That allowed me to add a user and give her full control of the folder. The user's account automatically created 2 folders (redirected desktop and my documents via group policy) within the folder I created. Now I can't take ownership of the 2 folders to give domain admins full control of the folders.
Message 21 of 138
Christianroth
Aspirant

hmm, anything inside of the root folder gives me the error (The parameter is incorrect).
Message 22 of 138
smdh
Aspirant

We don't have "authenticated users" in our permissions, we have specific users. Once the share is created, it appears the NAS determines who has permission, not AD. So like the others, the Domain Admins are no longer able to control the permissions. Ours is a recent purchase and we were still in the process of changeover, so we're also on hold while awaiting a fix, hoping our old NAS doesn't run out of room in the interim.
Message 23 of 138
Conn
Aspirant

New problem. I needed to create a new folder for another user. I created the folder, but when I tried to edit the security and add the user to the list of people with rights, the readynas is not allowing me to use any AD accounts. It's using pulling user accounts from itself instead of my AD domain.

Now I can't set up folders at all.

EDIT: I set the readynas to User security mode then back to Domain security mode and that fixed this problem.
Message 24 of 138
stanelie
Aspirant

I am getting the same issue here, latest raidiator .13, unable to set permissions on a sub-folder inside a share for a specific user, "the parameter is incorrect".

Detaching and re-attaching to the active directory is out of the question, I did a test on another readynas 2100 ane it completely messed up the permissions, even if I re-imported the user id map.
Message 25 of 138
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements