× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can’t change permissions – “The parameter is incorrect”

Grievous
Aspirant

Re: Can’t change permissions – “The parameter is incorrect”

Conn, thanks. Just to clarify about screenshot 7, when you add that user and hit apply is that when you're running into the "Parameter is incorrect" error? Because it looks like the permission for that user has already been applied since the apply button is grayed out(or nothing has been edited yet?)
Message 51 of 138
Conn
Aspirant

Grievous wrote:
Conn, thanks. Just to clarify about screenshot 7, when you add that user and hit apply is that when you're running into the "Parameter is incorrect" error? Because it looks like the permission for that user has already been applied since the apply button is grayed out(or nothing has been edited yet?)

That's correct. I had not hit apply yet on the properties screen, but I did hit advanced so that you could see the advanced security setting for the folder.
Message 52 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

Something else...

With the share hidden from windows via the $ at the end, how exactly are you browsing to it? Are you using \\nas\ or \\nas\c\ (as the admin)?
Message 53 of 138
Conn
Aspirant

Grievous wrote:
Something else...

With the share hidden from windows via the $ at the end, how exactly are you browsing to it? Are you using \\nas\share$ or \\nas\c\share$ (as the admin)?

When I'm trying to edit folder security, I use a shortcut on my Windows XP computer which is pointing at \\nas\share$. I then right click the folder within the share and edit the security permissions. This uses my domain user account which is a member of domain admins, so I'm supposed to have full control over the folders.
Message 54 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

Ok, we've got it reproduced in the office(finally). Now that we can observe the issue, we can work on a fix. However, I don't have any sort of estimate of at this point how long it's going to take on our end.

If I need more information, or have more information, I'll let you guys know in this thread.
Message 55 of 138
arunasad
Aspirant

Grievous wrote:
Ok, we've got it reproduced in the office(finally). Now that we can observe the issue, we can work on a fix. However, I don't have any sort of estimate of at this point how long it's going to take on our end.

If I need more information, or have more information, I'll let you guys know in this thread.

Finally some progress!
Grievous, do you know what in your test environment was preventing to reproduce this until now? Just wondering if this could be used as a workaround.
Message 56 of 138
dromand
Aspirant

any update this is causing major headaches for my users
Message 57 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

dromand wrote:
any update this is causing major headaches for my users

Refer to my post above.
Message 58 of 138
smemaine
Aspirant

Grievous wrote:

I've been watching this thread for a few days hoping for some relief. We've got a ReadNas 2100 in a Windows 2003 domain. We experienced the permissions issue which seemed to be coincident with this log entry:
Wed Nov 17 07:47:24 EST 2010 Your ReadyNAS device has been updated with a new firmware image. (RAIDiator-x86 4.2.15)

We have been limping along since that time. The only work around I have found is to:

1) Explore the share from a windows box (I'm doing it as a member "Domain Admin" and "Administrators")
2) goto properties->Security-Advanced
3) remove the Domain Users group (which on my box has permission set to 'none'
4) Click Apply and the Domain User group re-appears (without adding it) and "Full Control" shows under permissions

You seem to be able to set other attributes at this point.
I have done it for multiple files/folders if the permissions are all the same.

There is a very complex mapping going between Linux and Windows permissions that's causing this to be a difficult problem to define (from our user persepctive). The above workaround seems to allow the users to go about their business but it may be specific to our Active Directory defaults and other factors.

If I go to properties->Security and try to reset the permission on Domain Users I get the error: "The parameter is incorrect" after hitting the Apply button.

Hope this helps somebody....

I wonder if a roll-back for RAIDiator-x86 4.2.15 is an option while we wait?
Message 59 of 138
dromand
Aspirant

I've tried that workaround to no avail. Even as a member of domain admins with full rights - i can't remove the Domain users group without getting the paramet is incorrect. Essentially my users are locked out of folders now - i've had to move the items to a portable hard drive for them to be able to access things. At this point - I think I'm going to have to purchase another NAS to use as netgear can't seem to fix the issue
Message 60 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

dromand wrote:
I've tried that workaround to no avail. Even as a member of domain admins with full rights - i can't remove the Domain users group without getting the paramet is incorrect. Essentially my users are locked out of folders now - i've had to move the items to a portable hard drive for them to be able to access things. At this point - I think I'm going to have to purchase another NAS to use as netgear can't seem to fix the issue

Well it was a few weeks after I asked for a set of screenshots that allowed us to see exactly what you the users were looking at, that I got the info I had asked for and was able to reproduce it when someone provided us with a view of what they were seeing. I'm definitely eager to help, but if I ask for the information and no one wants to provide it, I can't really do a whole lot. It's not as if I've been ignoring this thread and you didn't seem to be chomping at the bit to provide us with the info we needed to reproduce it.
Message 61 of 138
Conn
Aspirant

Grievous wrote:
Well it was a few weeks after I asked for a set of screenshots that allowed us to see exactly what you the users were looking at, that I got the info I had asked for and was able to reproduce it when someone provided us with a view of what they were seeing. I'm definitely eager to help, but if I ask for the information and no one wants to provide it, I can't really do a whole lot. It's not as if I've been ignoring this thread and you didn't seem to be chomping at the bit to provide us with the info we needed to reproduce it.

Well it's been a few weeks since I sent you the information you asked for. You've confirmed that you're now able to duplicate the problem, and since then the only information we've been given has been 2 snarky responses (one repeating you'll let us know once you've made progress and the above message). I sorry to say that this doesn't seem to be as high a priority for you as it is for us.
Message 62 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

Conn wrote:
Grievous wrote:

Well it's been a few weeks since I sent you the information you asked for. You've confirmed that you're now able to duplicate the problem, and since then the only information we've been given has been 2 snarky responses (one repeating you'll let us know once you've made progress and the above message). I sorry to say that this doesn't seem to be as high a priority for you as it is for us.

I don't recall ever indicating that I'd be able to get you guys a fix within a set span of time, it's simply not possible for us to make any sort of promise like that. It may seem like a simple problem, but it doesn't mean that it's a simple fix, and we certainly don't want to fix one thing and break another in the process.

I've got the info, we can reproduce it, and we're working on it. When we have an update, I'll let you guys know. If you keep asking me if there's an update I'm just going to keep telling you there isn't one yet.

I will say that if I had received the information when I asked for it, instead of having to repeatedly ask for it(due to folks ignoring my request), we would have been able to get something out a couple of weeks sooner.
Message 63 of 138
jyarborough
Aspirant

Sorry to nag, I just found this thread and am having a very similar issue and was wondering if there is any ETA for a fix? I would be willing to work with you to provide more detail because I think that our situation is just a little different than the original poster (we do not use the domain), but we seem to be seeing the same type of problems setting permissions and getting "The parameter is incorrect."
Message 64 of 138
sicabre
Aspirant

same issue here. If you guys from netgear need any information please say so. I'm willing to provide you.

What is the official workaround now? I red different things.
Message 65 of 138
sicabre
Aspirant

It's still unclear what the status is of the issue. I also opened a support case @ netgear. Got a onpro contract. Kinda useless as i need to get my status updates trough forums. Last update was on 10 december. It's now 4th january 2011.

My nas is kinda useless now. First experience with netgear support and i must admit, it's not that good as i tought it be.
Message 66 of 138
readynas_devote
Aspirant

Us too.

That is: we have a brand new ReadyNAS Pro 6 with RAIDiator 4.2.15, and followed the Setting up Active Directory folder permissions on the ReadyNAS instructions posted by chirpa on April 28th 2009. We receive the Unable to save permissions changes on <folder name>. The parameter is incorrect error when performing the first part of Step 4 : Create your sub-folder structure (still as the Domain Admin).

The instructions definitely could do with being updated and more thorough.

Looking forward to seeing a fix, but can not take the risk of Waiting for Godot and not being able to return the NAS to the supplier for an alternative.
Message 67 of 138
devgav
Aspirant

Having the same problem. File permissions are a MESS, and seem to take ages to propergate. I'll make a file permission change, and nothing will happen until about an hour later - when I'll suddenly find it's decided to block all users.

Any update on this?

Grievous - an ETA would be nice, even if it's rough - and as asked by several users, what did you do to recreate this issue? If we know how you turned a working system, into a non-working system, then we may be able to work around this.

Many thanks.
Message 68 of 138
devgav
Aspirant

Also - don't know if it helps, but I can't set Deny permissions on folders that used to have this error. You tick the deny box, hit apply, and it doesn't save any of the Deny rules. Not sure if this is the same for others.
Message 69 of 138
linenoise
Aspirant

Same issues here and would definitely like to see the steps to reproduce posted.

I've been working around the issues by forcing things with a combination icacl under windows and chmod from ssh on the NAS itself. It's probably made a mess of the thing at the back end but at least it's let users get at the files they needed to see.

Curious if anyone's tried the recent 4.2.16 betas and whether they resolve this? It's not something I really want to pull the trigger on in production but I'm think it might be worth a shot if it clears this issue.
Message 70 of 138
jon798
Aspirant

There doesn't seem to be any mention of AD or other permissions settings in the feature or bug-fix notes with the 4.2.16 betas.

Is this issue even likely to be addressed in 4.2.16?

I know it's bad practise, but I, like others have tried to change permissions so many times and ways that I don't know what 'right' should look like. Could the default permissions perhaps be documented somewhere so we can work out how to put things right?

Once the problem has been understood and resolved, perhaps some thought could be given to providing a tool to apply permissions 'fresh' to the ReadyNAS so we can get back to a known position? There was mention of an AD Clean add-on, but I can't find an x86 version of it.

Regards,

Jon.
Message 71 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

Not everything slated for 4.2.16 is necessarily in the current public beta.
Message 72 of 138
Conn
Aspirant

Grievous wrote:

No response to the other posts?
Message 73 of 138
Grievous
Aspirant

Conn wrote:
Grievous wrote:

No response to the other posts?

In this thread? No. I already stated that if I have more information, I'll post more information. Someone asked a question about the likelihood of it being in 4.2.16 because it's not in the beta, and I simply pointed out that the current public beta does not necessarily have every feature/fix slated to be in the final build.
Message 74 of 138
jyarborough
Aspirant

Grievous - Seriously?! Thats it?! So no other updates? This is a pretty major issue for some of us with no real work around. I understand you guys need to research, develop, test, etc, and do not want to disclose things about release dates, etc, but come on! Throw us a bone of some kind. Is this issue even on the to-do list for 4.2.16? Based on your previous responses you would update the masses "if [you] have more information". I find it pretty hard to believe that you do not have any "more information" after a month and a half.
Message 75 of 138
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements