× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update 6.7.3 Bricked one of my 4220's

someusername
Aspirant

Firmware update 6.7.3 Bricked one of my 4220's

Decided to update my Readynas units today to the newest firmware 6.7.3 and one of them bricked afterwards with an error in Raidar "Management Service is offline".

Of course I tried to call in for support and well, we all know that can't happen without a support contract.

SSH is enabled, putty can't login as once password is entered it terminates the session.

Unit pings fine.

Unit was fine before Firmware upgrade

Data cannot be lost so a factory restore is not an option.

Ideas?

Model: ReadyNAS-4200|ReadyNAS 4200
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Firmware update 6.7.3 Bricked one of my 4220's

someusername, I see you have been assisted by support.

If you have updated to 6.7.3 and ran into this issue please try USB Boot Recovery (note for those using RAIDiator-x86 systems such as the Pro 6 you'll need to use the RAIDiator-x86 4.2.x USB Boot Recovery tool with the OS6 firmware renamed to RAIDiator-x86-something) with ReadyNAS OS 6.7.4 which is now available!

If you have not yet upgraded please upgrade to 6.7.4 rather than 6.7.3. If your system has already been fixed I would still suggest updating to 6.7.4 the normal way using the web admin GUI.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
jak0lantash
Mentor

@someusername wrote:

one of them bricked afterwards with an error in Raidar "Management Service is offline"

Can you access the data?

You may want to try an OS Reinstall via the Boot Menu.

@someusername wrote:

Decided to update my Readynas units today to the newest firmware 6.7.3 and one of them bricked afterwards with an error in Raidar "Management Service is offline".

Of course I tried to call in for support and well, we all know that can't happen without a support contract.

Unit was fine before Firmware upgrade

I disagree with that though. If your ReadyNAS is offline straight after a Firmware update, in my opinion, they should provide you Support. If they confirm that the new Firmware is not the cause, then OK, but they at least need to look into it. If I were you, I would call them again and insist that the NAS is offline straight after Firmware update. You may be out of Support entitlement, but if they release an update that kills your NAS, they must help you.

Message 2 of 7
someusername
Aspirant

Thanks jak0lantash,

I can't get to the data. When I SMB to the path I am presented with a credential popup that will not accept any creds.

As for the OS Reinstall via the boot menu, how to do you access that?

On a side note, if I reboot the unit via RaidAr it shows upgrading to firmware 6.7.3  for about 15 minutes then reverts back to 6.7.2 with the error message in my orig post.

When I call the support line 888-638-4327 it asks for my serial number then directs me to open a case online which I can't because my "Complementary" 90 day support is expired.

Any other numbers to call that you know would be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
jak0lantash
Mentor

@someusername wrote:

As for the OS Reinstall via the boot menu, how to do you access that?

https://kb.netgear.com/20898/ReadyNAS-ReadyDATA-Boot-Menu

@someusername wrote:

When I call the support line 888-638-4327 it asks for my serial number then directs me to open a case online which I can't because my "Complementary" 90 day support is expired.

Any other numbers to call that you know would be appreciated.

There has to be a way for you to contact Support. If you were to contact them for a Hardware warranty claim (which is not the case here), surely you should be able to reach them.

Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you able to download the logs using RAIDar 6.2 and send those in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 5 of 7
someusername
Aspirant

Nope,

When I Click Download logs in Raidar I get the Downloading progress popup then Download process failed.

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

someusername, I see you have been assisted by support.

If you have updated to 6.7.3 and ran into this issue please try USB Boot Recovery (note for those using RAIDiator-x86 systems such as the Pro 6 you'll need to use the RAIDiator-x86 4.2.x USB Boot Recovery tool with the OS6 firmware renamed to RAIDiator-x86-something) with ReadyNAS OS 6.7.4 which is now available!

If you have not yet upgraded please upgrade to 6.7.4 rather than 6.7.3. If your system has already been fixed I would still suggest updating to 6.7.4 the normal way using the web admin GUI.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements