× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Guidance on upgrade from older Duo to newer unit

David_C67
Aspirant

Guidance on upgrade from older Duo to newer unit

Looking for advice/info on setup and migrating our data from an older netgear duo with automated backup to the readynas vault, to something at least equivalent in function.

Is it as simple as-

1) set up new unit with the same drives/partions/permissions as the previous one was (A-Ydrive and a Z-drive)

1a) set up new unit fore daily backups to the netgear readycloud (or whatever the new name is)

2) Rename the Y and Z drives on old unit to something else? Or are those drive names on the computers only, not on the ready nas?

3) Copy all our data out of the old unit and into the new unit through a computer connected to both via the network

Would the process be simplified by copying all the data from the current old unit to an external drive (via computer on network), removing the old unit from the network, then putting the new unit on the network, and copying the data into it from the external drive?

TIA

Dave

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Guidance on upgrade from older Duo to newer unit

How does vault fit into this?  Are you already using vault?

Overall, you don't need vault to migrate your data to a new ReadyNAS,

@David_C67 wrote:

3) Copy all our data out of the old unit and into the new unit through a computer connected to both via the network

Would the process be simplified by copying all the data from the current old unit to an external drive (via computer on network), removing the old unit from the network, then putting the new unit on the network, and copying the data into it from the external drive?

The best way to migrate to a new NAS is to use the built-in backup function (which is in your duo, and also a new ReadyNAS).  Rsync is the a good protocol for this.  The backup function will send the data directly from the old NAS to the new, which is simpler than using external drives.

@David_C67 wrote:

2) Rename the Y and Z drives on old unit to something else? Or are those drive names on the computers only, not on the ready nas?

Those are the drive letters on the computers, not the NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

How does vault fit into this?  Are you already using vault?

Overall, you don't need vault to migrate your data to a new ReadyNAS,

@David_C67 wrote:

The best way to migrate to a new NAS is to use the built-in backup function (which is in your duo, and also a new ReadyNAS).  Rsync is the a good protocol for this.  The backup function will send the data directly from the old NAS to the new, which is simpler than using external drives.

@David_C67 wrote:

Those are the drive letters on the computers, not the NAS.

Message 2 of 7
David_C67
Aspirant

Thanks!

Vault I just mentioned as part of the setup, didn't mean to imply I was pondering using it to effect the data transfer.

Sounds like I can tackle it, I've done a bit of computer and networking setup in the dim dark (windows 98, gulp) past.

I'll look into the built-in backup function and Rsync, not one of the features we've played around with yet.

Would the backup method automatically create the partitions we have on the older device?

Thanks!

Dave

Message 3 of 7
David_C67
Aspirant

ReadNAS RN312 on the way!

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@David_C67 wrote:

Would the backup method automatically create the partitions we have on the older device?

Technically "partitions" are on the physical disks.  Your Duo assembles the physical partitions into a RAID-1 volume (which amounts to a  virtual disk), which is called the "C" volume.  That contains folders that can be shared over your network (called "shares" here).

When you set up your new NAS, it will have a default volume called "data".  You'd create new shares on it as part of the setup (matching the names you use on the Duo).  Then I suggest creating a backup job for each of those shares.  Usually I run the backup jobs roughly by size (transfering the smaller shares first, and the larger shares last).

You'd then need to re-map your PC drive letters to point to the new NAS instead of the old one.

Have you set up user accounts on your duo?  Or do you access it as "guest"? 

Message 5 of 7
David_C67
Aspirant

There are a few accounts. I've played around in that part of it a little bit, as long as the setup is reasonably similar I should be able to muddle through.

Thanks!

Dave

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@David_C67 wrote:

There are a few accounts.

If you want to preserve ownership, you need to create the accounts on the new NAS before you run rsync.  You'll also need to set the UIDs and GIDs to match the duo.

The other option is to just reset the permissions/owners in each share after you run rsync.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements