× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HowTo: Configure DNS Domain Name for ReadyNAS 314 with Static IP

DavidGanske
Aspirant

HowTo: Configure DNS Domain Name for ReadyNAS 314 with Static IP

I wish to configure our ReadyNAS 314 with a static IPv4 address and have it register in DNS within our domain automatically.  This works with DHCP configured.  When a static IPv4 address is set and the DNS servers entered, the system does not self-register.

There isn't a box on the DNS tab of eth0 settings to put the domain name in when a STATIC IP ADDRESS is configured on the TCPIP tab.  I have added all of our DNS servers on the DNS tab and yet it does not register.  I think our DNS servers require the appropriate domain name.

I also cannot do a reverse lookup using NSLOOKUP of the static IP address or name.

[Q] What is the default domain that these show up in?

[Q] How does one go about changing the DNS domain?

Thanks in advance,

David Ganske 

Message 1 of 4
DavidGanske
Aspirant

Re: HowTo: Configure DNS Domain Name for ReadyNAS 314 with Static IP

Quick Note: The system has firmware version 6.2.4.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

I believe that normally DHCP configures the domain name on behalf of the OS.

You could try to use nsupdate (manually from SSH) but that only works if unauthenticated updates are accepted by your servers.

Does your DHCP server support address reservation?

Message 3 of 4
DavidGanske
Aspirant

I agree that DHCP configures the domain name for the device.

In reference to NSUPDATE, are you indicating logging in with SSH on the ReadyNAS device or on the DHCP server?

Yes, the DHCP server supports address reservation, but we want a static IP address as it is in a different range than the DHCP assigned addresses.

I guess in the end, I could ask for a static DNS entry.  Another group manages the DNS server and it takes time to have the request serviced.  I was hoping the ReadyNAS could self-register as almost all other devices, even printers, self register.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements