× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ISCSI disconnection issue in firmware 6.7.1 and 6.7.4

zzymichael
Aspirant

ISCSI disconnection issue in firmware 6.7.1 and 6.7.4

Configurations: ReadyNAS 314 used as iSCSI drive for Windows 2012 server host, and d: drive of guest VM (running Windows 2012) is using  vhdx file on the iSCSI drive.

Issues: iSCSI drive is disconnected due to iSCSI connection issue every day at about 12:20~12:30am. The iSCSI drive is reconnectied after a couple of minutes, however the guest VM lost connection to d: drive, and d: drive can only be restored after a reboot. On the Windows 2012 server host, we can see iscsiprt error 39,49,9, 63, 43,10 in the eventlog. This situation happens every day at about the same time frame.

This issue only happens after upgrade to firmware version 6.7.1, and another upgrade to version 6.7.4 didn't fix this issue.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ISCSI disconnection issue in firmware 6.7.1 and 6.7.4

Message 2 of 25
zzymichael
Aspirant

Updated to 6.7.5, the problem still exist, not fixed.

Message 3 of 25
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello zzymichael,

When the problem occurs does it affect the behavior of the NAS, does the share folders and is the admin page accessible? Please provide copy of the complete logs of the NAS. I will send a PM on how to send us the logs.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 25
AhmedTimol
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same problem, no the Share folders remain accessible just the Iscsi drops completely, definetly something wrong with the firmware/NAS, checked all other options.

Message 5 of 25
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@AhmedTimol,

Beta firware 6.8.0 is now available and the official version will be release soon. You may want to try the beta firmware and check if it will make any difference in the behavior of the NAS. You may download the beta firmware from here.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 25
mangrove
Apprentice

Marty, there are no fixes for iSCSI if one looks at the list if fixes. Why would you believe that this beta version fixes any iSCSI issues?

Message 7 of 25
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mangrove,

I understand there is no specific information on the release notes of the NAS for iSCSI, the thread is pointing to the firmware as the source of the problem. I am offering the beta firmware, if they want to try it to check if it will make any difference. If you are encountering the exact problem as the original poster and as stated on the title of the thread, you may provide us a copy of the complete logs of the NAS so we can check. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 25
AhmedTimol
Aspirant

i would rather not load a beta firmware that doesnt have my issues listed in the release notes. Why don't you setup a windows server 2012 box and connect it with Iscsi to a netgear nas running 6.7.5 and see if its stable, that way you will have your own logs of a dodgy firmware?

Message 9 of 25
mangrove
Apprentice

Marty,

a sweeping recommendation to install beta quality firmware when you don't have any idea of how it will affect the issue at hand can only be called extremely unprofessional.

Message 10 of 25
AhmedTimol
Aspirant

this is why this is the last netgear Piece of Rubbish NAS I ever buy in my life....

Message 11 of 25
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mangrove,

@AhmedTimol

I understand the frustrations, if you are encountering the exact problem as stated on the Original poster or as stated on the title of the thread then kindly provide a copy of the logs of your NAS. You may use any file sharing website like wikisend to send us a copy of the logs, just PM me the download link.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 25
mangrove
Apprentice

For those interested in digging in this story, a competing brand starting with S have also had problem with iSCSI disconnects in roughly the same time frame. Said brand have produced a fix that involves replacing a 4.1 LIO module with a 4.0 one.

Message 13 of 25
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mangrove,

Thank you for sharing the information this is something our engineering department can look into.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 25
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mangrove,

Thanks for sharing the information, do you have other questions or concerns? If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solved so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.  The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 25
zzymichael
Aspirant

Upgraded firmware to 6.8.0 yesterday, still the same problem, not resolved.

Message 16 of 25
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@zzymichael,

It does appear that you already upgraded to the firmware version 6.8.0 and still the problem persist. When the problem occurs does it affect the behavior of the NAS, does the share folders and is the admin page accessible? Please provide copy of the complete logs of the NAS, you may use file sharing website like wikisend and just provide the download link.  

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 17 of 25
zzymichael
Aspirant

There's no error log on the NAS, all other functions works fine, except iSCSI connection disconnected for a few minutes between 12:30~1:00am, which caused VMs lost connection to the iSCSI drive. I setup a scheduled task to restart the VM after 1am as a temp fix. Please find details in my original post, it's very easy to repeat and reproduce this error. You can use a Windows 2012 server or even a Windows 10 machine to run VMs on top to reproduce this error.
Message 18 of 25
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@zzymichael,

The complete logs of the NAS may provide an information on what may cause this behavior of the NAS.  You may use file sharing website like wikisend and just PM the download link.  

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 19 of 25
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello zzymichael,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 20 of 25
BernardV
Aspirant

Same problem here since updating to 6.8. Cannot use any of my development VMs since . Major major major issue 

fix ? Or how can I go back to 6.6

@Marty_M wrote:

Hello zzymichael,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 21 of 25
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@BernardV,

Can you provide the detailed information of the problem you are encountering, please include the troubleshooting and isolation steps you have already tried. Also please provide a copy of the complete logs of the NAS. You may use file sharing website like wikisend and just provide the download link.

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 22 of 25
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@BernardV,

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 23 of 25
clumsy
Aspirant

Did this ever get resolved? I get disconnects from my iSCSI target after heavy I/O activity. It will eventually reconnect, but as soon as I have something downloading to my iSCSI target, it tanks and disconnects.

Message 24 of 25
mangrove
Apprentice

I have resolved the issue by downgrading to OS4 on my Ultra4. The Ultra2 resolved any issues it might have, or develop, itself -- by going dead. Downgrading to functional OS versions if your NAS supports it, and not buying Netgear in the future, are both great solutions which I fully recommend.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements