× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking to change the DIRECTORY SERVER ADDRESS in ReadyNAS 3312

RAJDV
Aspirant

Looking to change the DIRECTORY SERVER ADDRESS in ReadyNAS 3312

Hi,

I am using Netgear ReadyNAS 3312. It was added into active directory and imported users and created shared folders. Now i want to change the directory server address, but it is asking to change the NetBIOS name with server address. I dont want to change the NetBIOS name. Please help on this...

Message 1 of 5
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Looking to change the DIRECTORY SERVER ADDRESS in ReadyNAS 3312

Hi @RAJDV

Welcome to the Community!

Are you trying to change just the DC address or you are connecting an entirely different DC? I just tried changing the Address of our AD and it did not ask for me to change the NetBIOS name.

What firmware are you running? Can you provide us a screenshot of the issue you are gettng?

Regards

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Does your hostname include an _ character?

Technically that's not compliant with the RFCs (though in many cases it works ok).  Netgear improved their error checking on hostnames fairly recently, and that might be getting in your way.

If you do have a non-compliant name, you will end up having to change it.

Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You shouldn't use the directory server address field. That should be left blank.

Samba uses DNS. If DNS is setup correctly it'll work better with directory server address left blank.

With the directory server address filled in the AD server it points to becomes a single point of failure. If it stops responding for any reason then samba won't try anywhere else.

Message 4 of 5
RAJDV
Aspirant

Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply.
Now we are facing same problem, when primary AD server link down, end user unable to access the shared folders from NAS.
So we are trying to change the server address which is locally located secondary AD server.
But it is asking to modify the NetBIOS name also.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements