× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Moving an EDA500 from an RN516 to an RN628

13Tech
Aspirant

Moving an EDA500 from an RN516 to an RN628

I have an existing RN516 with an EDA500 attached. The EDA500 is filled with 6TB WD Gold drives configured as a single RAID5 volume (~21.81TB).

I would like to move the EDA500 from the 516 to a brand new RN628. Is it possible to move the EDA500 to the 628 in a way that maintains the volume configuration/data? 

Thanks!

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay,RN51661E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay,RN626X | ReadyNAS 626X 6-Bay with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Moving an EDA500 from an RN516 to an RN628

If you just remove it, the NAS it came from will show a "phantom" volume, which likely will cause issues in the long run.

The proper way to do it is to Export it on the Volumes page, power down to remove it, and then power up the new system with it attached (after configuring the main volume on that new NAS).  You will then have to go reset all the protocols and permisions, but the data should still be there.  You cannot have any shares or volumes on the EDA with the same name as one in the main array, either.

There was a bug in one of the older OS versions that made me have to remove my EDA500s to complete the next update.  When I put them back (power off), they also lost their protocols and permissions, so I don't think there is any way to move them over without having to reset those.

Though this worked for me as a test from a 316 to a 516 and in the instance I mentioned above, it's not really documented.. So, make sure your backup is up to date in the event it fails.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

If you just remove it, the NAS it came from will show a "phantom" volume, which likely will cause issues in the long run.

The proper way to do it is to Export it on the Volumes page, power down to remove it, and then power up the new system with it attached (after configuring the main volume on that new NAS).  You will then have to go reset all the protocols and permisions, but the data should still be there.  You cannot have any shares or volumes on the EDA with the same name as one in the main array, either.

There was a bug in one of the older OS versions that made me have to remove my EDA500s to complete the next update.  When I put them back (power off), they also lost their protocols and permissions, so I don't think there is any way to move them over without having to reset those.

Though this worked for me as a test from a 316 to a 516 and in the instance I mentioned above, it's not really documented.. So, make sure your backup is up to date in the event it fails.

Message 2 of 7
13Tech
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions. I only have one volume/share on the EDA with simple permissions so redoing protocols & permissions wouldn't be much work.

I have 2 EDA's on the RN516. The last time I did an OS upgrade (to 6.8.1) it hosed one of the EDA configurations. Some drives were available, some not and there was no volume configuration. I had to get support involved, who was able to remote in and fix it. I've been holding off on the 6.9.2 update it keeps prompting me about, for fear it might happen again. I've never had an issue with updates before, but this was a new EDA and the first time it was attached for an OS update. Sounds like you've had issues with EDA's and OS update too?

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

It was the upgrade to 6.8.1 that gave me the problem with the unit with the two EDA's as well.  It turned out to actually be a bug in the previous version I had (6.7.5) that interfered with the nest update but was fixed in 6.8.x, so my upgrade to 6.9.2 went flawlessly.  Sounds like you don't move to a new firmware until it has been proven, as I don't.  I find there is almost always a 6.x.1 that fixes bugs in a 6.x.0.

There is a posting on it on the forum somewhere, but good luck finding it with the useless search function.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

There is a posting on it on the forum somewhere.

Is the posting you meant?  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Firmware-update-of-RN516-with-two-EDA500-failed...

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Yep, that's the one.  I marked it as resolved because my next update went without a hitch.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Yep, that's the one.  I marked it as resolved because my next update went without a hitch.

I agree that the forum search tool is useless. I use google search with site:community.netgear.com in the search string. 

If you know the board URL, you can further limit the scope (for example site:https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-storage seaches the ReadyNAS idea exchange).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements