× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Out of space - how to find the cause

terryd1
Aspirant

Out of space - how to find the cause

Our Readynas has becoming steadily fuller over the past week and is now above 95% full.

What programmes do other users use to see what is taking up the space?

We use SpaceMonger normally which is great and makes it easy to see what is what, but it doesn't like being pointed at \\xx.xx.xx.xx and mounting each of the shares as a drive is painful (and to date inconclusive).

Has anyone got a recommendation for a utility that can be pointed at the root of the NAS and will show you what is hogging the space please?

Thanks in advance - Terry
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Out of space - how to find the cause

I like to use SSH (EnableRootSSH add-on enables this) and the "du" command. However this isn't for everyone.

What services are you running?

What add-ons do you have installed and running?

Do you use the Recycle Bin feature?

What Security Mode are you using under Security > Security Mode in Frontview?
Message 2 of 3
terryd1
Aspirant

Re: Out of space - how to find the cause

Thanks for the quick response.

OK, I will try EnableRoorSSH but I think that your "...isn't for everyone" might also include me.

As it happens I have found the culprit by going through the shares one by one. In the home share a user had been using ShadowProtect to back up his workstation and there were 3.3Tb of temp files that had accumulated since 4th November. So having deleted these I now have 61% free.

Services = CIFS, AFP, FTP, HTTP, HTTPOS, RSync, Bonjour, UPnP Addons = NTOP, ReadyNAS remote and replicate.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements