× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Performance speed while "backup" task is running

FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Performance speed while "backup" task is running

firmware 6.9.1

readynas 2120

While a backup task is running (coping from NAS to USB) the performance of the NAS take a notable drop. It takes longer to write files to NAS and longer browse/read through files on the NAS. If the backup task was writing a bunch of info to the NAS then the slowdown would make more sense, but it is only reading info to copy to the USB.

Is this normal behavior?

Can the NAS make the backup task a secondary priority so that there more CPU power for other taskes? 

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 13
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @FG

NAS running different processes such as a backup job certainly uses resources and you might notice a slight effect on it's performance but it should not cause too much.

We can check the logs to see what really is causing the performance drop of your NAS, you can send it to us using the guide on my Sig.

Regards 

Message 2 of 13
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Log files were just sent

Time in question was Friday the 15th.

Message 3 of 13
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @FG

Have you enabled quotas? How ofthen do you take snapshots? You may try to disable quotas and see if you can reduce the snapshot frequency. You might be experiencing the slow performance due to this, also your data volume should be below 85% full, if ever it gets to that point it is always advised to free up space to eliminate performance issues.

Hope this helps

Regards

Message 4 of 13
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Quotas are enabled. I have 1 share that anyone can use, but I wanted to limit how much data can go on that share.

Yes to snapshots, some are daily, some only what there is a change in the share.

The slowdown is only during a backup task.

Another problem I noticed yesterday, I recently upgraded from 6.9.1 to 6.9.3, since then when I use Chrome to go to NAS GUI it will connect to admin page breifly, then I get the "conntecting to the ReadyNAS Page..." message. Explore connects to NAS GUI just fine.

Message 5 of 13
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @FG

If you can disable Quotas, adjust snapshot schedules and run volume maintenance we might experience improived performance.

Regarding the issue after updating, you may want to try and reboot your NAS and let it sit for a few minutes while connected on the internet.

How is your data volume doing? Have you checked how full it is right now? using the logs it shows at 73% full. Hope everything's fine.

Regards

Message 6 of 13
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "How is your data volume doing"

Message 7 of 13
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @FG

Thank you for the PM.

As mentioned, if you have a disk which has errors it will be a good move to replace it and not wait for it to fail.

I saw under Smart history log a WD disk (WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR  WD-WMAP42306077) which has errors then I checked volume logs but haven't seen that installed. Have you replaced it already?

Regards

Message 8 of 13
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

(WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR  WD-WMAP42306077) must be one of my USB drives. I don't see that ID as one of the current 4 NAS drives

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@FG wrote:

(WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR  WD-WMAP42306077) must be one of my USB drives. I don't see that ID as one of the current 4 NAS drives

If it is used as a destination in a backup job, then it could be part of the puzzle.

Message 10 of 13
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Those ata errors have a time stamp of 6 months ago.......via the smart_history.log. file.

If WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR  WD-WMAP42306077 was a problem, wouldn't it show a current time stamp?

And I don't see WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR  WD-WMAP42306077 listed in the volume.log file. 

Message 11 of 13
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

When you put your NAS in SDM, does the tech have access to the data, can they see individual files and folders?

When using is SDM, is it as if you were using the NAS GUI?

Message 12 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The tech can see everything on the NAS like you could if you were to use SSH as the root user.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements