× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pro6 - Dead disk even after replacement

TheScream
Aspirant

Pro6 - Dead disk even after replacement

Last week I had a drive fail in bay 2 of my ReadyNAS Pro 6, so I replace the drive. It still reports dead. I've rebooted the device with no change. Is there any hope for it or do I need to replace it? All the bays are full.

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Pro6 - Dead disk even after replacement

Did you try removing and reinserting disk 2 with the NAS running?

Message 2 of 5
TheScream
Aspirant

Yes, tried that. Thanks. Unfortunatly no change. The drive spins up, checks the drive then reports it as unprotected with drive 2 dead. This happens with 2 different drives. I suspect the second bay is dead.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@TheScream wrote:

This happens with 2 different drives. I suspect the second bay is dead.

Me too.  

You can confirm by powering down the NAS, removing the remaining 5 drives (labeling by slot), and then power up with only the new disk in slot 1.  That should do a factory install onto that drive.  When/if it completes, power down again and move that drive to slot 2.  If it fails to boot, you have confirmed that it's the slot.

The hardware warranty is 5 years, so it is possible you still have warranty coverage.

Message 4 of 5
TheScream
Aspirant

After buying a new NAS and transferring the data over, then running the test you suggested, the NAS worked fine. I will continue to test to see if I can get it to fault.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements