× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem After upgrade to 6.73. TFTP_REQ

tradtke
Aspirant

Problem After upgrade to 6.73. TFTP_REQ

We have a 4220 ReadyNas whtat we upgraded from 6.5.1 to 6.73.

After the upgrade the RAIDr shows status as TFTP_REQ.

We tried the USB recovery

Tried the USB recovery a 2nd time with 6.74 (according to Netgear the 6.73 was not out there long for a number of buggy reasons).

Still boots up to the Raidr screen but ultimatly says in the status line: TFTP_REQ.

Tried the factory restet.... to no avail.  The product was functioning perfectly until the upgrade.

Now we cant get it up and are lookng for any insights to turn our boat anchor back into a function member of our IT infrastructure.

Any help would be greatly appreaiated.

Model: ReadyNAS-4200|ReadyNAS 4200
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: Problem After upgrade to 6.73. TFTP_REQ

Try disconnecting everything from the USB ports and see if that will reboot.

Message 2 of 13
tradtke
Aspirant

After the USB recovery the system shuts down as is supposed to according to the directions.  We then pull the USB drive so no USB is plugged into the NAS, power on the unit. It boots but ultimatly settles into the RAIDr showing the status: TFTP_REQ

Message 3 of 13
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi,

Can you even cycle through the boot menu? Will it do anything? Is it possible to boot into Tech Support Mode? If so, then probably let Support have a look at it.

https://kb.netgear.com/24869/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-3220-4220

Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@tradtke wrote:

After the USB recovery the system shuts down as is supposed to according to the directions.  We then pull the USB drive so no USB is plugged into the NAS, power on the unit. It boots but ultimatly settles into the RAIDr showing the status: TFTP_REQ

No UPS that uses USB either?

Message 5 of 13
tradtke
Aspirant

Good Question.  Yes, we defiinlty can cycle thru the boot menu.

We Can even ping the default address 192.168.168.168 and telnet to the unit (although we dont have the UN/PW as NetGear says they dont give that out)

Message 6 of 13
tradtke
Aspirant

Nothing plugged into any of the USB ports....

Message 7 of 13
Hopchen
Prodigy

Well that is good news. Seems that chassis is working OK, at least to some extend. Might be software based (OS or whatever).

Yes, NTGR can't give out that PW I guess. I wouldn't recommend you messing around with that anyway unless you are really confortable with Linux and mdadm RAIDs. Tech Support mode is a state where no RAIDs or anything is running. You would have to manually start everything and mount volumes, etc.

I think you should give a shout to support. Let them take a look through Tech Support mode.

Message 8 of 13
tradtke
Aspirant

I"d love to do that but w/o going into too much detail. The unit was puchased in 2014 from PC Mall.  (now Tiger Direct).   The unit failed sometime in 2015 and was replaced.  (I was not part of the orgization at that time).   We call to get support a few weeks ago and Netgear says the S/N is registered to someone else.  (they cant tell us who..)   so we finally convince them to give us the phone number and call this place that supposedly had the unit registerd.  The number is some persons cell phone number and is not in service.   We are then pleading with Netgear but we are told to go back to PCMall but we get pushed to Tiger Direct which says to bad so sad we dont have resposiblity for those PCM records going back to that time.   So netgear wont support at least at this time because of paperwork and serial number mixup....   Aargh... we'd even ante up for $$ for support but they said nope not until you get the paperwork firgure out which at this point seems impossible....  too many dots to connect and irrational road blocks.... 

Message 9 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you don't have a DHCP server on your network?

In the TFTP_REQ state local telnet is active.

Message 10 of 13
tradtke
Aspirant

No DHCP Server on the network that the 4220 is on.  We can put one up if that offers a path to a potential solution. (Or a TFTP server for that matter).  

Message 11 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well a DHCP server would enable it to get an I.P. if you can boot it to tech support mode. The NAS needs to be able to pickup everything it needs to connect to the internet automatically for this to be easy to look at remotely.

TFTP_REQ does suggest that USB Boot Recovery is needed.

You could try the new beta version which has some improvements: https://www.readynas.com/contributed/mdgm/usbbootrecovery/usbrecovery.v2.0.R15-T3.zip

Message 12 of 13
tradtke
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion(s).  As one last attempt, I pulled and reseated each drive in the chassis.  After doing that, the system came up and I was able to complete the firware upgrade.   So glad to get thru this one.    Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements